Vintage Ads

clay neubauer

12 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

I think Ferguson had a pitmanless mower already in the 1950s. Maybe some manufacturers sold both pitman mowers and pitmanless mowers in the 1960s and 1970s.

Massey 35 combine had a pitmanless sickle drive.  Made from late 50s to early 60s.

2 hours ago, ray54 said:

The uncle got a new Massey mower in early 60's that was pitmanless. Was what everybody wanted to use for cutting down tangled stuff.

The old wooden pitmans seemed to be the weakest link on those old mowers and swathers. I remember my dad frequently repairing or replacing pitmans on the mower and swather.

As harvest gets near maybe time to look at a new combine? Like this 428 Cockshutt with the "airplane tires" maybe. 

428.jpg

• Like 2

Interesting about Fahr using pickup guards and pickup real in swathed crop in a add.

My father and uncle figured that out for here where we have some of the best grainharvest weather in the world. So swathing is unheard of,everything direct cut. But we are prone to get some summer weeds as group all called tar weed. To withstand the sun and heat they have a waxy skin that builds up on combine cutter bars to something looking like tar. small amounts are no problem but in larger amount becomes impossible. So one year they had a few acres swathed and 4 or 5 days later with pickup real everything was good.

5 hours ago, lightninboy said:

Interesting picking up windrows without a windrow pickup head.

I could see it working if the swth sits up well on the stubble and leaves room for the cutterbar to get under the swath. I tried it once with the 1010 header on the 1660. Did not go far before a small rock broke a guard so I gve up that idea 

I found some vintage paper today that I forgot I had. Nichols and Shepherd , Red River Special advertising from the 1920s. 

Nichols & Shepherd Stemer.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lightninboy said:

It does look like it has a little windrow pickup on it.

That is how it was done in the dys before quick detach headers. We usually took the reel and knife off as it made it a lot easier working to install the pickup. I remember helping my dad change over from pickup to straight cut and back again on both the Massey Harris 60 and the little Case model A pull type.

51 Case combines.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, U-C said:

orig-Prospekt-Fahr-Claeys-M103-Allesdrescher-80PS.thumb.jpg.405eb70f4c18ad1494195b2470d015a1.jpg

Those look familiar with that high back end. They were sold here as the "Yellow Fellow" as I recall and might have been sold by CCIL. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Those look familiar with that high back end. They were sold here as the "Yellow Fellow" as I recall and might have been sold by CCIL. 

Yes CCIL sold them seen one of them at the Ag museum in Austin Manitoba years ago. I think the pulltypes were Volvo Combines and the combines after the Clayson's were Claas. Claas later got imported by Ford until Ford bought Sperry New Holland.

21 hours ago, Loadstar said:

That is how it was done in the dys before quick detach headers. We usually took the reel and knife off as it made it a lot easier working to install the pickup. I remember helping my dad change over from pickup to straight cut and back again on both the Massey Harris 60 and the little Case model A pull type.

51 Case combines.jpg

Wonder if Case asked that guy how easy it was to spot the auger?

• Haha 1

On 8/29/2019 at 10:57 AM, Big Bud guy said:

Wonder if Case asked that guy how easy it was to spot the auger?

Looks like it might be awkward to see from the opposite side of the combine. 

Here is a rare pickup. The Fargo Sweptline for 1958. Check out that big back window.

58 Fargos.jpg

• Like 2