Jump to content

Vintage Ads


clay neubauer

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

We used to fight that stupid door setup on the two Behlens we leased.  After the grain quit running out the auger door we had to pretty to pry the main door open enough so some grain would run out and keep prying until you could squeeze into the bin to shovel out behind the door until you could get it open and jam an auger into the bin.  We took care of all that by installing some Canadian made Circle King bin augers.  Its much easer and convenient to unload now.   The Behlen bin we put up has a center unloader that still works so that door is not a problem for us. 

If they would've moved that auger port a foot and a half closer to the door it would've solved alot of problems. I only saw one bin growing up that had a center unload. Was a 10,000 bu bin. Had a air fan and a dryer on it as well. It's become pretty common place in the last ten years on the big flat bottom bins

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, db1486 said:

That's sure a different site from today. I'm just old enough to remember when there was a elevator in operation in the surrounding towns. Of coarse there was many many more when my dad would've been a kid

Does that map show the town names where the dots are?

Yes, unfortunately the resolution is not high enough for it to show here on the forum. I took a picture or two of a couple of areas in close up so you can see the name of every little town. Even the ones that don't exist anymore. 

IMG_1216[1].JPG

IMG_1215[1].JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Yes, unfortunately the resolution is not high enough for it to show here on the forum. I took a picture or two of a couple of areas in close up so you can see the name of every little town. Even the ones that don't exist anymore. 

IMG_1216[1].JPG

IMG_1215[1].JPG

Thanks for that. I remember seeing a couple of those elevators before they got tore down. I know the area in the first picture so that's neat to see

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, db1486 said:

If they would've moved that auger port a foot and a half closer to the door it would've solved alot of problems. I only saw one bin growing up that had a center unload. Was a 10,000 bu bin. Had a air fan and a dryer on it as well. It's become pretty common place in the last ten years on the big flat bottom bins

Every bin we've put up since the 70s has had an unloader.  And the bins that we've acquired along the way that didn't have unloaders or had obsolete ones, we have installed Circle Kings.  Its kind of weird around here.  Guys were putting up bins with center unloaders back when we did and I also have neighbors as recently as 10 years ago that still threw up bins without unloaders.  We lease one farm that has 8 bins ranging from 6,500 bu down to 2,000 and they all have 8" center unloaders.  I've never seen bins that small with center unloaders. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Loadstar said:

I found out too how easy it is to buckle that bottom edge of the wall when trying to transfer the Behlen bin onto a new floor. Luckily it was just as easy to straighten out. ?

I wonder if it was the same Behlen that made this optional high speed gear box for the old Farmalls back in the fifties?

 

Behlen Farmalls.jpg20

Yes.  Same company.  We have/had several of their products.  The road gear for the F-20, Corn cribs, grain bins, Power steering for 70 John Deere.

Ron

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Eric V Bielke said:

Are the straight lines between the little red buildings rail roads?

Yes, rail lines. Cross hatched lines are Canadian National and solid lines are Canadian Pacific. Broken lines are proposed rail lines. Hard to imagine that in the sixties they were still thinking of building more lines. Not many years later they were proposing taking lines out. And soon enough they did. 

 

Pool Map legend.JPG

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Yes, rail lines. Cross hatched lines are Canadian National and solid lines are Canadian Pacific. Broken lines are proposed rail lines. Hard to imagine that in the sixties they were still thinking of building more lines. Not many years later they were proposing taking lines out. And soon enough they did. 

 

Pool Map legend.JPG

Thanks-----that is a lot of rail lines-----must have been fantastic service at that time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/30/2019 at 8:44 PM, Eric V Bielke said:

Thanks-----that is a lot of rail lines-----must have been fantastic service at that time.

It would be interesting to see a similar map today to compare the difference. I'd bet a good percentage of those rail lines are gone. "Consolidation" I guess. 

This is a little older map from 1957 advertising Pool flour. 

 

57 Pool calendar left.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/21/2019 at 11:25 PM, Loadstar said:

I always liked the looks of these early IH four wheel drive tractors. This is a 1970 magazine shot of the small 4156. Little brother to the big 4300. 

 

4156 in 70.jpg

I don't remember a 4300 being in the Buyer's Guide. Maybe they didn't advertise them to regular farmers because regular farmers wouldn't buy them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lightninboy said:

I don't remember a 4300 being in the Buyer's Guide. Maybe they didn't advertise them to regular farmers because regular farmers wouldn't buy them.

This is from the 1964 Buyers Guide. 

 

ih 4300.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

From 1968. As a kid this was one of the first ads I saw promoting hydraulic motors  as a source of power on the farm.  I had a hard  time imagining how oil could turn a piece of farm equipment at the time. Now hydraulic motors are everywhere on the farm. 

 

68 Char Lynn.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Loadstar said:

From 1968. As a kid this was one of the first ads I saw promoting hydraulic motors  as a source of power on the farm.  I had a hard  time imagining how oil could turn a piece of farm equipment at the time. Now hydraulic motors are everywhere on the farm. 

 

68 Char Lynn.jpg

Does Hydro motors sure changed things that's for sure, even tractors were tested with them too and some went into production like IH did and others. Today Rigitrac is one that uses it and also Aebi and Rapid in there products. And I think so does FENDT with their Vario transmission

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/2/2019 at 1:18 PM, lightninboy said:

I don't remember a 4300 being in the Buyer's Guide. Maybe they didn't advertise them to regular farmers because regular farmers wouldn't buy them.

This pic of a 4300 is frm an early sixties buyers guide I have here. 

 

scan0008.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, U-C said:

orig-Prospekt-Hanomag-Combitrac-R27RC-R35RC-Row-Crop.thumb.jpg.a99980c786ffbe46ca5bdedff175f291.jpgorig-Prospekt-Hanomag-Combitrac-R27RC-R35RC-Row-Crop-_57.thumb.jpg.9dbbb4119e9185cfe9cbd8699b8a65f5.jpg

I’ve never heard of them before that is a cool ad. 

 This is LOK-RIB steel building ad from an April 1956 Succesful Farming Magazine 

E6F36AFF-ABD7-4053-98F4-45C1F515E819.thumb.jpeg.f197c4edaa4ba90dc27584b7a5e42858.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...