Jump to content

Vintage Ads


clay neubauer

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, IHhogfarmer said:

I see. As I was looking at it I was wondering what it was like.

Recently I found a yard stick that my grandpa has from the old IH dealer here it states “Good equipment makes a good farmer better” I would guess that yard stick is not to far off from the age of that ad  

That yardstick is a good piece of IH memorabilia to own . I've never seen one. 

Another ad from IH. 1949 spreading the word about the Farmall Cub. 

 

49 Cub new day.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That reminds me of this Farmall Cub ad probably from 1947  I would guess. But you could buy a new Cub for $545. Ours Cub was sold on 6-11-1948 for $648

064044F4-CB65-4989-8BA9-A995997F3D7D.thumb.png.50d3c0a80a652661584ec43eae85a115.png

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/24/2019 at 10:41 PM, IHhogfarmer said:

That reminds me of this Farmall Cub ad probably from 1947  I would guess. But you could buy a new Cub for $545. Ours Cub was sold on 6-11-1948 for $648

 

That is a nice colour ad for the Cub. I don't see any more than black and white ads here. 

Even though this is an Eaton axle ad I like the fact they use an R series IH as the civil defence rescue vehicle. From 1956. 

 

56 Eaton axle IH.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I un-earthed a couple of vintage ads in the attic of the shop today. Never heard of the Columbian Steel company. Never saw any of their grain bins here. This was all Butler, WesteelRosco or Behlen in seemed. I built a few Westeel Roscos over the years. A Metals Industry and a Twister. Not to forget the Behlen. 

 

Columbian bin.jpg

Columbian steel tank.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

I un-earthed a couple of vintage ads in the attic of the shop today. Never heard of the Columbian Steel company. Never saw any of their grain bins here. This was all Butler, WesteelRosco or Behlen in seemed. I built a few Westeel Roscos over the years. A Metals Industry and a Twister. Not to forget the Behlen. 

 

Columbian bin.jpg

Columbian steel tank.jpg

We have 3 Columbian bins in the yard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

I un-earthed a couple of vintage ads in the attic of the shop today. Never heard of the Columbian Steel company. Never saw any of their grain bins here. This was all Butler, WesteelRosco or Behlen in seemed. I built a few Westeel Roscos over the years. A Metals Industry and a Twister. Not to forget the Behlen. 

We use three Behlen bins.  One we put up ourselves and 2 that came with some lease ground.  They are not my favorite bins mostly because of the sealed eves.  Aeration is a must.  Plus the 2 that we lease must not have been constructed very good because they leak around the bottom. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

We use three Behlen bins.  One we put up ourselves and 2 that came with some lease ground.  They are not my favorite bins mostly because of the sealed eves.  Aeration is a must.  Plus the 2 that we lease must not have been constructed very good because they leak around the bottom. 

We built one Behlen in (I think) 87 and it was the smallest, maybe 1200 bushel. Liked it ok. It sat on the ground, no floor, just plastic for the first few years. They I found a slightly used wooden floor to put under but it did leak some. Didn't want to leave grain in there too long if it rained a lot after harvest. I think they were ok on cement though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

We built one Behlen in (I think) 87 and it was the smallest, maybe 1200 bushel. Liked it ok. It sat on the ground, no floor, just plastic for the first few years. They I found a slightly used wooden floor to put under but it did leak some. Didn't want to leave grain in there too long if it rained a lot after harvest. I think they were ok on cement though. 

The one we put up is a 12,000 bu and the other two are 10,000 a piece.  All three were built in the mid 70s. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

The one we put up is a 12,000 bu and the other two are 10,000 a piece.  All three were built in the mid 70s. 

Good grief! That is like a grain elevator. No wonder you need aeration dealing with that many bushels. This Behlen had a really nice big cap that made it easy to line up the grain auger for filling. Good vents around it as well but nothing in the eaves like the Westeel Rosco had. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Loadstar said:

Good grief! That is like a grain elevator. No wonder you need aeration dealing with that many bushels. This Behlen had a really nice big cap that made it easy to line up the grain auger for filling. Good vents around it as well but nothing in the eaves like the Westeel Rosco had. 

That's just normal around here.  In fact we borrowed the cement forms from a neighbor who at the time was putting up two behlens that were two rings tall.  Ours is only 1 1/2 rings.  At the time there were still a lot of guys putting up 5,000 to 7,000 bu bins.  But in the last 30 years I only know of a few bins that went up around here that were under 10,000 bu.  Lately the standard seems to be between the 20,000 and 30,000 bu bins.  The last 4 bins we put up are rated around 28,000 bu. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

That's just normal around here.  In fact we borrowed the cement forms from a neighbor who at the time was putting up two behlens that were two rings tall.  Ours is only 1 1/2 rings.  At the time there were still a lot of guys putting up 5,000 to 7,000 bu bins.  But in the last 30 years I only know of a few bins that went up around here that were under 10,000 bu.  Lately the standard seems to be between the 20,000 and 30,000 bu bins.  The last 4 bins we put up are rated around 28,000 bu. 

You are right of course and I do see a few farms with those size bins here too. These little bins that only hold one truck load are just a nuisance for the bigger farmers and they won't use them unless really short on space. So the old bins are relatively cheap to buy for old small farmers like myself. 

My farming is more in line with the date on this vintage Sask. Wheat Pool calendar from 1965. That map with the little red icons indicating a Pool elevator in every little town is interesting when you consider most of  those wooden elevators are either gone or out of service. 

 

Sask Wht Pool 65.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We rent 5 2200 bushel behlens from neighbor. We have a 2200 in the yard. Neighbor has 2 8000 bushel behlens and 5   Other 8000 bushel bins his land renters use. His brother has 2 11,000 bushel behlens. They actually built them on a small town elevator they owned then moved them a couple miles to their farm. Around here every bin built here is now inthe 42,000 bushel range and 2 guys put up a 100,000 bin. We were just talking about this the other day. Our neighbors farm about 9000 acres over a 40 mile area. I think they have 640,000 bushels of storage in 3 places. All new bins built since about 2003.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Behlen bins are not known to be the best bins around here. More like the cheapest. The newer ones are definetly better. We use a 2900 bushel one that has actually been pretty good, but the older smaller ones leaked. I really don't like the door and auger port being separate. I was loading out oats from it and the auger was running empty but I still couldn't open the door to shovel. What a pain that was.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, dale560 said:

We rent 5 2200 bushel behlens from neighbor. We have a 2200 in the yard. Neighbor has 2 8000 bushel behlens and 5   Other 8000 bushel bins his land renters use. His brother has 2 11,000 bushel behlens. They actually built them on a small town elevator they owned then moved them a couple miles to their farm. Around here every bin built here is now inthe 42,000 bushel range and 2 guys put up a 100,000 bin. We were just talking about this the other day. Our neighbors farm about 9000 acres over a 40 mile area. I think they have 640,000 bushels of storage in 3 places. All new bins built since about 2003.

Most big guys around here are going 50,000+ bu. Some 25,000. 3000 is a big bin for us lol.

I remember back about 15 years ago there was a big farmer about 120 miles from here, in Saskatchewan, that was farming 160 quarters. He had built 4 75,000 bins, and had two more pads poured for 2 more. I think the 2 more were going to be 100,000 bu. That was insane for the area at that time, and I remember looking at them in awe. First big bins that I, and most of the area, had ever seen. But, there was a auction sale and all that didn't matter in the end. I remember climbing up the stairway on the one bin and it was 3/4 full of canola yet! But I don't think those bins sold at the sale. Just the hopper and other flat bottoms went

On a side note, behlen bins are awful to move. Don't ask how I know lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, db1486 said:

Most big guys around here are going 50,000+ bu. Some 25,000. 3000 is a big bin for us lol.

I remember back about 15 years ago there was a big farmer about 120 miles from here, in Saskatchewan, that was farming 160 quarters. He had built 4 75,000 bins, and had two more pads poured for 2 more. I think the 2 more were going to be 100,000 bu. That was insane for the area at that time, and I remember looking at them in awe. First big bins that I, and most of the area, had ever seen. But, there was a auction sale and all that didn't matter in the end. I remember climbing up the stairway on the one bin and it was 3/4 full of canola yet! But I don't think those bins sold at the sale. Just the hopper and other flat bottoms went

On a side note, behlen bins are awful to move. Don't ask how I know lol

Our neighbor hired a house mover to move them. But I think he could have built new bins for the moving price.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, db1486 said:

Behlen bins are not known to be the best bins around here. More like the cheapest. The newer ones are definetly better. We use a 2900 bushel one that has actually been pretty good, but the older smaller ones leaked. I really don't like the door and auger port being separate. I was loading out oats from it and the auger was running empty but I still couldn't open the door to shovel. What a pain that was.

We used to fight that stupid door setup on the two Behlens we leased.  After the grain quit running out the auger door we had to pretty to pry the main door open enough so some grain would run out and keep prying until you could squeeze into the bin to shovel out behind the door until you could get it open and jam an auger into the bin.  We took care of all that by installing some Canadian made Circle King bin augers.  Its much easer and convenient to unload now.   The Behlen bin we put up has a center unloader that still works so that door is not a problem for us. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, db1486 said:

 

On a side note, behlen bins are awful to move. Don't ask how I know lol

I found out too how easy it is to buckle that bottom edge of the wall when trying to transfer the Behlen bin onto a new floor. Luckily it was just as easy to straighten out. :-)

I wonder if it was the same Behlen that made this optional high speed gear box for the old Farmalls back in the fifties?

 

Behlen Farmalls.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Loadstar said:

You are right of course and I do see a few farms with those size bins here too. These little bins that only hold one truck load are just a nuisance for the bigger farmers and they won't use them unless really short on space. So the old bins are relatively cheap to buy for old small farmers like myself. 

My farming is more in line with the date on this vintage Sask. Wheat Pool calendar from 1965. That map with the little red icons indicating a Pool elevator in every little town is interesting when you consider most of  those wooden elevators are either gone or out of service. 

 

Sask Wht Pool 65.jpg

That's sure a different site from today. I'm just old enough to remember when there was a elevator in operation in the surrounding towns. Of coarse there was many many more when my dad would've been a kid

Does that map show the town names where the dots are?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Our neighbor hired a house mover to move them. But I think he could have built new bins for the moving price.

 

35 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

I found out too how easy it is to buckle that bottom edge of the wall when trying to transfer the Behlen bin onto a new floor. Luckily it was just as easy to straighten out. ?

 

 

We've moved alot of Westeels and westland, butler, etc, but only a few behlens. Not worth the time as far as I'm concerned. You really gotta brace them up good. Even then it's scary watching the tin flex and go from round to straight. They're strong standing up, but not laying on their side on the mover. Now if it's got a cone or steel floor under it, not a problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...