Jump to content

Vintage Ads


clay neubauer

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Interesting, I'd never heard of a 4 cylinder Chrysler. They were all 6 cylinder engines here that I knew of. 

These Allis Chalmers Gleaners were popular here. Never saw any of the little All Crops though.  From 1957. 

 

57 AC combines.jpg

Loadstar,

I stand corrected. Just looked up my Power Farming Technical Annual for 1960 and see that indeed the 585 was powered by a 6-cylinder engine.

My mistake. Probably something to do with the year in which I was born.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/28/2018 at 12:42 AM, A554 said:

Loadstar,

I stand corrected. Just looked up my Power Farming Technical Annual for 1960 and see that indeed the 585 was powered by a 6-cylinder engine.

My mistake. Probably something to do with the year in which I was born.

Those 6 cylinder Chrysler flatheads were very common here in combines. And Dodge and Fargo trucks, Plymouth, Dodge, Desoto cars. This 1950 page from a Cockshutt combine brochure shows the Chrysler engine way down under the grain pan where it was not real accessible for servicing. 

 

Cockshutt combine drive (1 of 1).jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It looks like a small time antique today but in 1949 this was a big step up in grain handling on the farm. Prior to that it was a back breaking "scoop" powered by human muscles and determination. 

 

49 grain loader.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

It looks like a small time antique today but in 1949 this was a big step up in grain handling on the farm. Prior to that it was a back breaking "scoop" powered by human muscles and determination. 

 

49 grain loader.jpg

My grandfather still used 100 kg grain sacks until 1969, back in the old country the grain elevators only took grain that way until loose grain became common.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is a cool Butler ad that shows the variety of bin sizes that they offered in the mid 50’s 

4A3F496F-9B01-4270-9181-9DCAD0A15299.thumb.jpeg.ca6e20b25711b2752965790ec473faf7.jpeg

Since there has been some Allis Chalmers discussion on a different topic here is one that shows the WD-45 has “power to get ahead fast”F5F25F7A-8F8A-45A6-93A3-B2619CA66BFE.thumb.jpeg.4dbbfcd74eea260b47c95bed96d73460.jpeg

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For what ever different areas had different ways. U S west coast sacked most grain until WW2 and jute sacks were in short supply. But of course no new machinery until after the war. I am a bit younger than that time, but before 1950 my grandfather and dad each bought a new combine and one of them was set up to sack maybe both.  As some of the parts are still in the barn here, because both were bulk in my time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, IHhogfarmer said:

Here is a cool Butler ad that shows the variety of bin sizes that they offered in the mid 50’s 

 

 

 

There were a few Butler bins sold here too but it seemed lilke Westeel-Rosco was the big seller of corrugated galvanized bins years ago. That is the majority in my yard. 

I posted this ad on facebook and thought it might fit well here too. A 1969 Princess Auto catalogue listed amongst their usual interesting stuff, an IH "Carryall". I know its a Travelall. Cheap little bus for $950. Ex army vehicles in good shape they claim. Bet they would sell well today at higher prices. That Frink truck with the snow blade is interesting too. 

The original file I have here is right way up but some sites, including this one, turn it up on it's side. Not sure if I can fix that. 

 

Princess auto IH.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Loadstar said:

There were a few Butler bins sold here too but it seemed lilke Westeel-Rosco was the big seller of corrugated galvanized bins years ago. That is the majority in my yard

My great uncle has several Butler grain bins at his farm and a guy that my dad helps cut wheat for has put up several sukup bins in the last couple years. Those are the two main brands that are out here anyways. 

11 hours ago, U-C said:

 

Nice film. I love watching those old promos. The story I've heard of the select-o-speed is that Harold Brock from Ford designed the transmission, he had gone to vacation and then later took an extended vacation. When he left the select-o-speed had not yet been perfected and he wanted to improve it more. While he was on vacation Ford released the tractor with the new transmission and when he got back almost every dealer had one. Apparently there were complaints about the transmission not working properly and Ford fired Harold Brock. John Deere then hired him and later he helped develop the JD powershift.

That came from a Ford collector from Classic Tractor Fever 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, IHhogfarmer said:

My great uncle has several Butler grain bins at his farm and a guy that my dad helps cut wheat for has put up several sukup bins in the last couple years. Those are the two main brands that are out here anyways. 

Nice film. I love watching those old promos. The story I've heard of the select-o-speed is that Harold Brock from Ford designed the transmission, he had gone to vacation and then later took an extended vacation. When he left the select-o-speed had not yet been perfected and he wanted to improve it more. While he was on vacation Ford released the tractor with the new transmission and when he got back almost every dealer had one. Apparently there were complaints about the transmission not working properly and Ford fired Harold Brock. John Deere then hired him and later he helped develop the JD powershift.

That came from a Ford collector from Classic Tractor Fever 

A swiss tractor maker once had a very revolutionary transmission that shifted gears with a eletric hydraulic system and I read that they sold that patent to Ford in 1962 or 1963 but not sure if that is true or not. I wonder if Ford used that transmission to improve the Select O speed after they fired Harold Brock. But I think its most likely that that transmission never got sold to a different company though. VEVEY was that swiss tractor maker and was one of the top six or five tractor makers in Switzerland. In 1962 they made a prototype tractor with that transmission and showed it to the dealers and they were all in wow and sadly were told by the company they will be going out of the tractor business.

 

 1075487611_VeveyRhone626.jpg.35379dde289e2e5632cff69b657800cf.jpg665304885_VeveyRhone62.jpg.1af2651da9ddc269791c9365392c8392.jpg1897802189_VeveyRhone625.jpg.1c6045eb405e3d42b05e5281df533b5d.jpg1764981655_VeveyRhone624.jpg.ee78be0df015df86f9944bd2f64c0ca1.jpg596570766_VeveyRhone623.jpg.b3d787ac3c57f7a9dbe93c4fea10cc11.jpg801139799_VeveyRhone622.jpg.25e42d003bd04a33a87174cf5e5a5914.jpg 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Rotor hoe harrow hat some advantages over the Rototiller it didn't make the soil as fine as the Rototiller did but it did make it good enough that a farmer was able to seed after.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The subject of one way disks or "diskers" came up over on the IH tractors on Montana farm thread so I thought I'd post this ad for a Case disker. Similar to the model 900 that my dad bought new about 1960 although this one has the yellow seed box attachment. Dad's had the Case red colours. 

 

Case 900 disker.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/7/2018 at 7:02 AM, Loadstar said:

The subject of one way disks or "diskers" came up over on the IH tractors on Montana farm thread so I thought I'd post this ad for a Case disker. Similar to the model 900 that my dad bought new about 1960 although this one has the yellow seed box attachment. Dad's had the Case red colours. 

 

Case 900 disker.jpg

How about a new Case tractor with the case-o-matic transmission to pull that disk plow seeder. 

I think this is a cool and interesting  ad. It’s about 15” by 10.5” that is also a fold out. I haven’t found a date for this ad but I’ve done a little research on when a few of the tractors in the ad were introduced I’m thinking it’s from around 1957-58?But I’m not sure when the case-o-Matic was introduced 

CD22378B-0DC9-49FF-AD3A-731E770FC286.thumb.jpeg.619f22b2d3a88530851d2969180942ac.jpegE38F6099-F5E8-4680-A494-FEF98108DD79.thumb.jpeg.eccb15701fefecf5ff57bc228b84b2ea.jpeg4A88CC35-91D5-4EF7-A61C-E112818F0F82.thumb.jpeg.81f581c626a20a1c5f6cbe429d10549d.jpeg9F178D18-DC6B-482D-A0BF-EA5F24990637.thumb.jpeg.cf8186d42e315f236a08f9a1297e8d64.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IHhogfarmer said:

How about a new Case tractor with the case-o-matic transmission to pull that disk plow seeder. 

I think this is a cool and interesting  ad. It’s about 15” by 10.5” that is also a fold out. I haven’t found a date for this ad but I’ve done a little research on when a few of the tractors in the ad were introduced I’m thinking it’s from around 1957-58?But I’m not sure when the case-o-Matic was introduced 

 

That is a nice Caseomatic ad. I have the same one. It was a fold out in the Country Guide magazine here and I'd say you are pretty close on the date. I can't find mine at the moment. This is one from 1960 pointing out some of the advantages of Case o matic. 

 

60 Case o matic.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

More memories with the Case sidehill combine being part of the add. My uncle had one and I drove it a few times. Not the capacity that most where looking for by 66 or 67 when I drove it.  But the one thing they had that could be a first was the all wheel drive. It was a 3 wheeled with hydraulic drive for the rear wheel.

 

I could make out 300 as model number in add, I want to say his was 301 or 302. But have not idea how much different any of them are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...