Vintage Ads

clay neubauer

Thought I better post something here just to keep in practice. I'd just posted this one on the J.I. Case facebook page . Its a 1964 vintage ad showing a 930 Case pulling 6 furrow plow. I've never pulled a plow with any kind of tractor. I know the 930 was rated as a 6 plow tractor but no doubt it depended on what type soil you were working. 

64 Case usable power.jpg

The 930 was about the same power as an Farmall 806. It also was rated as a 6 plow tractor. However that is in sand. In the usual clay soils in my area an 806 was good for a 5 x 16 model 550 plow. When you went to the 720 plow with the longer moldboards an 806 was only good for 4 x 18 plow. I had an 856 and had the loan of a 720 4 x 18 plow and it was sized about right. So what it will pull all depends on the soil and the type of plow.    

On 3/8/2018 at 2:15 PM, Loadstar said:

Thought I better post something here just to keep in practice. I'd just posted this one on the J.I. Case facebook page . Its a 1964 vintage ad showing a 930 Case pulling 6 furrow plow. I've never pulled a plow with any kind of tractor. I know the 930 was rated as a 6 plow tractor but no doubt it depended on what type soil you were working. 

64 Case usable power.jpg

I noticed the 1030 isn't listed in the ad. Did it come out later than the models listed?

19 hours ago, Art From DeLeon said:

I always thought that IH was stretching the truth when they rated the 560 as a 5-plow tractor, UNTIL i came across a JD brochure listing the 4020 as a SEVEN plow tractor "in certain soil conditions".

Just curious what brochure or year that was?  Everything I have says 6 bottoms.  Heck JD rated the 5010 as a 7 bottom tractor and that was 121 hp.  I think these companies stretched the ratings from time to time.  Course moldboard width, depth, and gear you are in can make big differences.  When I was looking around for a Farmall 240 I did talk to a gentleman who farmed in Iowa before retiring.  He told me the 560 was only a 5 bottom tractor in 2nd gear.  And the high load low gear is what took out the rear ends. 

4020plow.JPG

5020.JPG

that CASE 930 shown was the first comfort king, with operator position high, seat forward, and fuel tank behind, and the last to use chain drive, first used in 1929, built in  a standard, or wheatland model only.  i believe 64 was same year the 930 was changed to a gear drive, 8 speed row crop, also available as wheatland, with set back front axle, and big fenders. 

40 minutes ago, Fred B said:

that CASE 930 shown was the first comfort king, with operator position high, seat forward, and fuel tank behind, and the last to use chain drive, first used in 1929, built in  a standard, or wheatland model only.  i believe 64 was same year the 930 was changed to a gear drive, 8 speed row crop, also available as wheatland, with set back front axle, and big fenders. 

Case continued to make the six speed chain drive 930 along side the newer 8 speed 930.  The later 6 speed 930s had square fenders. 

36 minutes ago, Fred B said:

They say the old chain drive Case system was pretty much indestructible. I've never heard of one failing. I think the 1030 was introduced in 67. This two page ad from a 1967 Case magazine shows the full line of tractors. There is your 7 plow tractor, the 1030. Those plow ratings never made much sense out here where nobody used a plow. 

67 Case tractors.jpg

57 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

They say the old chain drive Case system was pretty much indestructible. I've never heard of one failing. I think the 1030 was introduced in 67. This two page ad from a 1967 Case magazine shows the full line of tractors. There is your 7 plow tractor, the 1030. Those plow ratings never made much sense out here where nobody used a plow. 

67 Case tractors.jpg

If you have never pulled a plow Ralph you are missing out on the slowest most boring job on earth. Plowing was popular here in central ND and east. Western areas never plowed they summer followed 1/2 and press drilled the fallow next spring. when dad started he had a 900 case, a 806 we still have and a 1030 for couple years. The case tractors left but he still has good thoughts of the 900. 

16 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Just curious what brochure or year that was?  Everything I have says 6 bottoms.  Heck JD rated the 5010 as a 7 bottom tractor and that was 121 hp.  I think these companies stretched the ratings from time to time.  Course moldboard width, depth, and gear you are in can make big differences.  When I was looking around for a Farmall 240 I did talk to a gentleman who farmed in Iowa before retiring.  He told me the 560 was only a 5 bottom tractor in 2nd gear.  And the high load low gear is what took out the rear ends. 

4020plow.JPG

5020.JPG

I, too, wish I could remember if it was in a plow brochure, or in a multi-model 20 series tractor brochure.  (I once fked up a 20 Series brochure that had revised specifications pasted over the original pages)

5 minutes ago, Art From DeLeon said:

I, too, wish I could remember if it was in a plow brochure, or in a multi-model 20 series tractor brochure.  (I once fked up a 20 Series brochure that had revised specifications pasted over the original pages)

Do you guys notice the axle turned backwards on first picture? Used to see a few of them around like that. Can't tell if it is a 4010 if you zoom on hyd couplers I think it is. Axle back and 3pt was rare here but you seen them other places. 

35 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Do you guys notice the axle turned backwards on first picture? Used to see a few of them around like that. Can't tell if it is a 4010 if you zoom on hyd couplers I think it is. Axle back and 3pt was rare here but you seen them other places. 

That picture was out of the 1964 Modern Farming magazine.  Its probably just a 4020 wheatland.  Notice that the fenders are not the rowcrop fenders. 

47 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Short wheelbase on those 20 series JD was not uncommon here but I think I saw more with the axle switched to long wheelbase. And 3 point hitch on a tractor that size was unheard of here. No use for it. 

68 JD 5020.jpg

5 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Short wheelbase on those 20 series JD was not uncommon here but I think I saw more with the axle switched to long wheelbase. And 3 point hitch on a tractor that size was unheard of here. No use for it. 

68 JD 5020.jpg

You can tell the ones factory short wheel base. The ones that are turned you have to change steering pipe behind grill screens to get them to steer right. The pipes are different for short to long so a converted one will have pipes bent around each other. And three point was not common right south of border either. 

Can’t tell if top tractor has the 10 or 20 style hyd couplers. Those half round fenders were popular on early 4020s down here and lots of 10 series had them. I would call a wheatland 4020 more like the 50 series fenders in bottom picture. Full fenders and dust shields in front. The 10 series hyd coupler is on the left 20 on the right.in this picture. It is odd back tire on the first tractor they almost look wide like 23.1 30 but sit in the furrow well suggesting they are 18.4 30 they were on early 3010s and 4010s around here.

CD36936E-9172-4D4F-97D2-47AD5E863913.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Ron Cook said:

Being in the corn country of Iowa, I have to ask.....What is the reason for the short wheel base?

Ron

The only advantage I can think of was shorter turning radius maybe? You can see the typical wheelbase, fender setup for 40/3020 JD in this area in this video my old youtube buddy, deeredon put together recently. At the 1 minute point you can see the 3020. I've seen the odd one  of  them with the axle turned  for a short  wheelbase but majority were  like  this  one.And there were a lot of them. 

He has a very nice setup there.  I have a gas powershift 4020 with a loader on front and a blower on back.  I certainly do like the blower moved to the front.  I would do that if we got more snow here.  I like the less snow best.  It is expensive stuff for me.

Ron

12 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Here are three more scans in order 1964, 1965, and 1968.  Notice the 4020 went to the "5020" style fenders in 1965 and the 5020 rowcrop reverted to the 4020 rowcrop style fenders. 

BF-1964-1.jpg

BF-1965-1.jpg

BF-1968-1.jpg

Thanks for putting those ads up. Dad has a 64 row crop 4020 Diesel. Flat fenders 3 pt and a couple years ago I noticed it had the steering pipes cris crossed . It had to come from factory with front end reversed before he bought it in 79. This is pic of it in 81 planting sunflowers

30618CE0-E8F7-414B-8D72-1093B3B3E529.jpeg