Vintage Ads

clay neubauer

On 1/16/2018 at 9:37 PM, Big Bud guy said:

That baler has two feeder forks.  Never have seen a JD square baler like that.  Must be for European conditions.

I think that baler was made in Europe but not sure which factory though.

14 hours ago, redneckchevy9 said:

Since the past few pages are full of hay equip...CHECK THIS OUT!

Thats a nice ad for the Snowco bale loader. I think I might have posted different ads for that brand name too, somewhere way back in this thread. 

I think I might have posted this one before but here is a New Holland bale loader ad from 1948. I can't figure how it was powered. Independent engine or ground drive?

48 NH bale loader.jpg

This is an advertising brochure I have from the late sixties or early seventies featuring the New Holland bale wagons. They were pretty popular here at the time. Even saw a few of the self propelled models. 

NH Bale Wagons.jpg

2 hours ago, Loadstar said:

This is an advertising brochure I have from the late sixties or early seventies featuring the New Holland bale wagons. They were pretty popular here at the time. Even saw a few of the self propelled models. 

NH Bale Wagons.jpg

One of our neighbors had one of the first series if I remember correctly, we had one too but it was a little newer. Here is an ad for a Weber Motorwagon (car) from the late 1890's or early 1900's it had a belt drive (CVT) transmission.

16375315740_aff263935c_b.thumb.jpg.d452726fc087d253a2e91669f852cdc8.jpg

Most of Cockshutt's farm equipment was very popular here in Sask. but I don't think I ever saw one of their balers. This ad from 1963 shows one. And yes, by this time their tractors were really Olivers painted yellow and red. 

63 Cockshutt Haying.jpg

On 1/29/2018 at 8:46 PM, Loadstar said:

Most of Cockshutt's farm equipment was very popular here in Sask. but I don't think I ever saw one of their balers. This ad from 1963 shows one. And yes, by this time their tractors were really Olivers painted yellow and red. 

63 Cockshutt Haying.jpg

Here is a pic I took of a Cockshutt baler at the Thresherman's Reunion in Austin Manitoba a view years ago

5a7166dcc9c2f_010_08(2).thumb.jpg.34f94a194a39b6759cd25b9fa048a141.jpg

6 hours ago, U-C said:

MEILI Diesel tractor ad 

Interesting styling on  that little Meili. 

I'm posting this ad for the very popular Massey Harris tractors from 1953. The little model 33 was rare but the bigger 44 and 55 tractors were everywhere. It was a rare thing to see a farm here in the sixties without a Massey 44 on it. Either still running or a parts tractor parked in the bush. Time and scrap buyers have thinned the herd but you will see the occasional  restored one from this line  of tractors. One  thing  I always notice is when they leave out the screen that goes behind the grille openings.  Just looks so wrong  and something missing without that screen to me.  

53 MH 33.jpg

1 hour ago, Loadstar said:

Interesting styling on  that little Meili. 

I'm posting this ad for the very popular Massey Harris tractors from 1953. The little model 33 was rare but the bigger 44 and 55 tractors were everywhere. It was a rare thing to see a farm here in the sixties without a Massey 44 on it. Either still running or a parts tractor parked in the bush. Time and scrap buyers have thinned the herd but you will see the occasional  restored one from this line  of tractors. One  thing  I always notice is when they leave out the screen that goes behind the grille openings.  Just looks so wrong  and something missing without that screen to me.  

53 MH 33.jpg

So what year was this advertisement from? It appears to be 1953 because that is the year they made the valve rotators standard and added the live PTO clutch. One of our neighbors had a 33 row crop diesel with live PTO. Impressive tractor on a PTO baler back then. OOPs I just noticed you said 1953. And the Super H and M still had transmission driven PTO that year. Gives meaning to the screw-ups under John McCaffrey's watch at IH.

28 minutes ago, George 2 said:

So what year was this advertisement from? It appears to be 1953 because that is the year they made the valve rotators standard and added the live PTO clutch. One of our neighbors had a 33 row crop diesel with live PTO. Impressive tractor on a PTO baler back then. OOPs I just noticed you said 1953. And the Super H and M still had transmission driven PTO that year. Gives meaning to the screw-ups under John McCaffrey's watch at IH.

Yes, that was a 53 Massey ad. I think Cockshutt and Oliver both beat them to the live power take off introduction. In this 1954 ad Cockshutt claims to be the first. 

54 Cockshutt why I stay.jpg

You are right Cockshutt had Live PTO on the model 30 introduced in October 1946. Ivan MacRae was a brilliant Canadian engineer (Queens graduate) who was in charge of the LPTO project. I spoke to Bill Cockshutt about that 10 years ago and he told me Ivan handled that project himself.

4 hours ago, George 2 said:

You are right Cockshutt had Live PTO on the model 30 introduced in October 1946. Ivan MacRae was a brilliant Canadian engineer (Queens graduate) who was in charge of the LPTO project. I spoke to Bill Cockshutt about that 10 years ago and he told me Ivan handled that project himself.

I was not aware of an event in Brantford this past October at Glenhyrst Gallery ( one of the Cockshutt "Mansions" )  Bill Cockshutt is alive and well and made the trip for a book signing. 

http://www.canadianindustrialheritage.com/index.php/2-uncategorised/77-book-launch-event  

this is the new book https://brant.ogs.on.ca/index.php/product/merchants-exchange-ignatius-cockshutt-1812-1901-hard-copy/

Thanks Hillman. Really appreciate that. Bill is about 89 now and lives in London, ON now with relatives. He is a man of class and the type of person I would buy equipment from. At one time back in the 1965 to about 1990 he was the General Sales Manager for Allied Farm Equipment in St Marys, ON. This is after the White people booted him out of Cockshutt Farm Equipment.   

10 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Once White took over the company, the tractors became Cockshutt in name only. As seen by this yellow painted Oliver 1850 in a 1964 ad. 

64 Cockshutt 1850.jpg

Cool to see all does Cockshutt ads its amazing of the equipment they made. Here is an ad of the MEILI tractors from the 60s. The Ernst Meili Traktorenfabrik Schaffhausen made tractors from 1934-1966 (other sorces say from 1933-1969) the company made a total of 7000 tractors. Some time in the 50s the company started making fiber glass hoods for there tractors.

5a79056b5d795_meiliDMserie.thumb.jpg.b78ca76620d0f0d93c38eb11bb8fed58.jpg

2 hours ago, U-C said:

Cool to see all does Cockshutt ads its amazing of the equipment they made. 

Yes, Cockshutt had a full line of just about everything a farmer could need back in 1948 as seen in this ad. Just like Massey Harris, another good old Canadian company . But that is another subject for another day. 

48 Cockshutt coast to coast.jpg