Vintage Ads

clay neubauer

A couple of photos of a KL Bulldog tractor on a pull in Victoria, Australia..

Lanz tractors were made in made in Australia for a while by the Kelly & Lewis company and marketed as KL tractors.

Must have been a tough tractor to spend any time working them - this one just seemed to "tremble and shake" under load and got louder with more smoke and flames.

KL Bulldog 003.JPG

KL Bulldog 004.JPG

8 hours ago, A554 said:

A couple of photos of a KL Bulldog tractor on a pull in Victoria, Australia..

Lanz tractors were made in made in Australia for a while by the Kelly & Lewis company and marketed as KL tractors.

Must have been a tough tractor to spend any time working them - this one just seemed to "tremble and shake" under load and got louder with more smoke and flames.

A remember my dad commenting on watching a new Field Marshall idling at a farm show when they were new. They really bounced and shook at idle. I wanted to hear one of those single cylinder diesels run so found this video on youtube. Impressive pull! That old Lanz kept on ,hardly even slowing down ,right to the end of the course. 

And here is a Field Marshall. 

The Lanz Tractors were very well liked in there day because of there pull and you could almost run any burnable fuel in that thing. Later models had a upright cylinder and what I have read they had three flywheels so it would run smoother (I am not sure if the guy that wrote that is correct).

7 hours ago, U-C said:

The Lanz Tractors were very well liked in there day because of there pull and you could almost run any burnable fuel in that thing. Later models had a upright cylinder and what I have read they had three flywheels so it would run smoother (I am not sure if the guy that wrote that is correct).

That video of the Lanz driving the mountain road was really something. You'd want to have good steering and brakes there. I didn't know they went that fast. 

Here is another imported piece of machinery. The Claas combines. 

64 Claas combine.jpg

54 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

That video of the Lanz driving the mountain road was really something. You'd want to have good steering and brakes there. I didn't know they went that fast. 

Here is another imported piece of machinery. The Claas combines. 

64 Claas combine.jpg

The Mountain Pass in the video is the old Gotthard Road in Switzerland. Lanz tractors could go up to 20km/h.

Awesome Claas combine ad, a custom operator always came with his Claas Dominator to combine our grain fields awesome machine. The Claas combine pictured is the Claas Matador at that time the largest combine made by Claas. Here are two videos one of the first Claas combine model and one of the Claas Matador

31 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

A big powerful looking Cockshutt 1850 with front wheel assist. From the late 1960s. Yes, it was an Oliver. 

Cockshutt 1850 4wd.jpg

Awesome ad

Here is a video of a New Lanz Bulldog Knicklenker (Articulated tractor) replica like the original has no transmission

8 hours ago, Loadstar said:

A big powerful looking Cockshutt 1850 with front wheel assist. From the late 1960s. Yes, it was an Oliver. 

Cockshutt 1850 4wd.jpg

My dad looked at an Oliver 1850 back then that had the  "Certified Power"  sticker on it.  He was told by the Oliver dealer that they were doing that because so many IH tractors were coming in with way more than advertised power.  

In other words,  if the 93 horse Oliver got smoked by a 94 horse 4020,  or a 95 horse 806 in a farm demonstration,  it wasn't because the Oliver didn't have the 93 horse it was advertised with........it was because the Deere and IH was  putting out more than rated

I picked up a stack of farming magazines from the late 20's into the early 40's today. Sorry if these are repeats but I thrummed quickly through one of them. Interesting to note the Goodyear add shows tires mounted backward to what most would consider normal  

Tires-Oct 1941

IMG_4548.JPG

IMG_4549.JPG

IMG_4551.JPG

5 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I picked up a stack of farming magazines from the late 20's into the early 40's today. Sorry if these are repeats but I thrummed quickly through one of them. Interesting to note the Goodyear add shows tires mounted backward to what most would consider normal  

Tires-Oct 1941

What a great find that would be! Those tires look to be installed correct as far as I can see. 

Here is an IH Metro ad from 1952 I've been meaning to post. 

52 Metro ad (1 of 1).jpg

6 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

???

4 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

What a great find that would be! Those tires look to be installed correct as far as I can see.

I guess you guys are correct. I glanced at it quickly and noticed the tread pointed upward in the larger pic but the one of them on the tractor are correct in orientation. I would have put them facing downward I suppose but maybe it is just me......