Vintage Ads

clay neubauer

22 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Here is a name some might remember while others have never heard of. I hauled a lot of grain to United Grain Growers in the 80s and 90s until the company was bought up by another bigger one. I've lost track of how many times it changed hands but it is now under the heading of Viterra. Back at the time of this ad, 1950, it was a big deal in Western Canada. Not sure what the crawler tractor is in the ad. 

1950 UGG.jpg

That is an Awesome ad same with the Waterloo Bronco.

Isn't Viterra now owned by Glencore? 

Here are two more pics of the SLM tractor plowing and reaping

5a80e5e7065cb_SLM4.jpg.c09da47a03bd5a170d8f9adc1f4f2b6f.jpg

5a80e62cc6f26_SLM3.jpg.5c3908dcd9a954f4dfbfd0fa8591b011.jpg

Urs

57 minutes ago, U-C said:

Isn't Viterra now owned by Glencore? 

Urs

You could be right , I have lost track of all the buying and selling of grain companies. 

Here is the full line of Cockshutt tractors for 1952. The 30 and 40 sure sold well here in the West. Never saw many of the little 20s but they are worth a lot now as collectibles. 

Next year, 1953, the big model 50 was introduced. 

52 Cockshutt tractors.jpg

yes Glencore and then they sold off some elevators to Richardson Pioneer and I believe all the Seed and chemical outlets to Agricore to form CPS (Crop Production Services), there is still elevators with the Viterra name but owned by Glencore,

the UGG united grain growers I believe was eventually swallowed up by Agricore United  and I think they sold off most elevators and torn most down, my local concrete UGG is now owned by Cargill

23 hours ago, wheatking said:

yes Glencore and then they sold off some elevators to Richardson Pioneer and I believe all the Seed and chemical outlets to Agricore to form CPS (Crop Production Services), there is still elevators with the Viterra name but owned by Glencore,

the UGG united grain growers I believe was eventually swallowed up by Agricore United  and I think they sold off most elevators and torn most down, my local concrete UGG is now owned by Cargill

All I know is that the grain cheques have "Viterra" on them when I sell to the elevator that used to be U.G.G.

Here is another of their ads from 1951 featuring 2-4D weed killer. The days when chemical weed control was starting to become more popular. 

51 UGG.jpg

ah the wood elevator those were the days I jusr barely remember the UGG and the SASK Pool in my town they were closed in the early 2000's and knocked down shortly later. now it's about a 100km round trip with a load I mostly sell to Richardson Pioneer or G3 Global 

As for the 2,4-D I'm still amazed it still gets the job don't after all these year I could never figure out how round up could have resistance but 24-D still works 

BÜHRER Model Standard MFD 4 Brochure

Bührer tractors have front axle suspensions since the early 50's until 1978.

5a853cbd6e8c4_BhrermodellMFD4.jpg.872a3c3f3431ac741cd408e4622ac6b9.jpg 

Bührer Tractors were made from 1930 to 1978 by the Fritz Bührer Traktorenfabrik in Hinwil Switzerland.

On 2/14/2018 at 9:13 AM, redneckchevy9 said:

Some old ones from elevators made across the lovely state of IL

Would be nice to have an old wooden elevator on the farm. This old catalogue from the 1920s showed one that a farmer could build. 

Farmers elevator.jpg

my neighbour has one in his yard it marks the middle of the section his yard is on all 4 corners of the section, it was built before they moved there so it's near 90 yrs old it has a leg in it but when he got his big auger it was faster to use the auger, it's 2x6's nailed on top of each other quite the landmark structure, I believe it holds 10000bushels in 4 different bins  

On 2/14/2018 at 9:13 AM, redneckchevy9 said:

Some old ones from elevators made across the lovely state of IL

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Does are awesome!

Here are two different systems to put loose hay up into the barn, this systems were used in Switzerland and also in Germany and Austria, and maybe in other areas too

Heuelevator.png.c3211f79fc4a06646e644e40ad1aee37.png

and

Heuaufzug.png.5f90251949a30e46e8e6a7b7e996d2c0.png

Rapid Motor mower from 1926. The Rapid company from Zürich Switzerland was the first company in the world that manufactured a motor mower with a central cutter bar in the first year Rapid made 50 units and a year later 200. It had a 5 HP Gasoline air cooled engine and a single forward and reverse transmission. Later models had more gears forward.

253_001.jpg.0e9180a95c4e15f9327e947f1aab6b3f.jpg

1 hour ago, U-C said:

Here is a front cover from 1957 of a Eicher one cylinder diesel tractor

One cylinder! That must have been a rough running old beast. We had the Field Marshalls here in Canada back in 1952. One cylinder diesel. Started with a shotgun shell. 

1952 Field Marshall.jpg

6 hours ago, Loadstar said:

One cylinder! That must have been a rough running old beast. We had the Field Marshalls here in Canada back in 1952. One cylinder diesel. Started with a shotgun shell. 

1952 Field Marshall.jpg

Awesome ad! The Field Marschall, Lanz Bulldog, Holder, and Landini's all had two stroke one cylinders and the Eicher, Deutz, Fendt (which used the Deutz Diesel), Hatz, Kramer, Fahr, and Steyr all used four stroke Diesel's in there One cylinders. I guess it was like driving a Deere all day long lol.  Here is a video of a Fendt model F 18 start up

1 hour ago, Loadstar said:

Some Minneapolis Moline equipment from about 1965 I think. Even showed a couple of garden tractors. I bet they would be collectible items today. 

MM construction.jpg

Did Minneapolis Moline make those garden tractors themselves or did they contract a company to make does?