Vintage Ads

clay neubauer

Interesting to see horse pulled mowers with an engine drive. All the horse powered mowers I ever knew were ground drive. Steel wheel with lugs that provided the drive to a gear box. I was always amazed how they worked at all but people cut hay with them for years. 

On another subject, winter is coming so maybe time to think about putting some Mobiloil arctic in your cars and trucks to prepare. A 1939 ad. 

39 Mobiloil.jpg

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:09 PM, redturbo said:

IMGP3167.JPG

That is an interesting 1939-40 brochure. I have the two brochures that seem to be combined in this one. One is the A& B brochure. The other is the H & M brochure and they are the same coloring and were date coded in late 1939.  

38 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

Here there were some Allied loaders...grain augers were fairly popular...did Allied pretty much have a monopoly on bale stookers?

Yes, plenty of grain augers from Allied here too. There were other bale stackers. One comes to mind is Inland. I have one. 

Inland stacker.jpg

Yes, the Farmall 656 was a very versatile tractor. I have one on my farm and it is my favorite of all the tractors (Including Magnums and a Maxxum). I call mine "Old Reliable" and it will start unassisted on any day of the year anytime. The only thing is that it will not run smoothly on anything less than the super premium 91 Octane gasoline. But that is a small price to pay since I use it less than 50 hours per year.

47 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Yes, plenty of grain augers from Allied here too. There were other bale stackers. One comes to mind is Inland. I have one. 

Inland stacker.jpg

And now Allied and Inland are owned by the same company. Here is an ad of the First Schilter Transporter 2wd and 4wd versions. The 4wd drive was the most commen version, alle the other models were only 4wd.

12046530105_648bc747fa_b.jpg

1 hour ago, George 2 said:

Yes, the Farmall 656 was a very versatile tractor. I have one on my farm and it is my favorite of all the tractors (Including Magnums and a Maxxum). I call mine "Old Reliable" and it will start unassisted on any day of the year anytime. The only thing is that it will not run smoothly on anything less than the super premium 91 Octane gasoline. But that is a small price to pay since I use it less than 50 hours per year.

And yet, the compression ratio is only 7.6:1...

22 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Allied sold a lot of front end loaders here in the 1970s. This one is installed on a 656 IH tractor. 

Allied Loader.jpg

Got that exact loader on our 766. It's sure moved a lot of bales and other stuff. Not nearly as strong as the ad says it is though.

1 hour ago, db1486 said:

Got that exact loader on our 766. It's sure moved a lot of bales and other stuff. Not nearly as strong as the ad says it is though.

They say a Leon is one of the strong loaders. I know my old Cancade has more welds than steel on it (slight exaggeration) from years of twisting and shock loads. 

I wonder if anybody ever installed a loader on one of these 2+2 tractors? Check out the prices from 1981. 

81 New 88 series.jpg

It can be done because here is a pic of one. Several years ago over YT some said a loader couldn't be put on a 2+2.  I posted this pic I found online then it turned into a why it shouldn't be done.  lol

2+2W loader.jpg

23 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

It can be done because here is a pic of one. Several years ago over YT some said a loader couldn't be put on a 2+2.  I posted this pic I found online then it turned into a why it shouldn't be done.  lol

Thanks for the photo. I figured it should be possible but had never seen it done. Must be a whole new point of view when using a loader and sitting in the back half of an articulated tractor. 

Getting down in the 30s here today. Winter on the way and time to check the anti freeze to make sure it can handle the coming cold. Wouldn't want to damage that modern $5000 combine as stated in this 1955 ad. Those were the days when you could buy the biggest modern combine for $5000. 

55 Prestone.jpg

26 minutes ago, utility 64 said:

combines_mm_uni.jpg

I actually saw a very similar MM uni harvestor at a farm auction sale a couple of years back. Could have bought it cheap but I didn't. Minneapolis Moline had some of the nicest ads in the Country Guide through the 1950s. Usually in colour. Like this one from 1954. 

54 MM McKay.jpg

In the days long before battery powered grease guns (I don't own one) I guess this air powered grease gun was considered the ultimate greasing tool. Looks like a Farmall H on that pull type combine in this 1948 ad. 

48 Aro Lubricators.jpg

On 10/2/2017 at 8:47 AM, twostepn2001 said:

2+2W loader.jpg

Isnt that 2+2guy's tractor?  He is on this forum and did a post 2 years ago or so about how it worked.  Said you had some side shift for stacking!! ;)