Vintage Ads

clay neubauer

10 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Good to hear you're hard at work Ralph. Very little going on around here yet. Maybe 1% now in our area. I'm hoping to get going tomorrow. Been out harrowing trying to dry things up a bit. Find a few of the soft spots that way too.  Neighbors have been out combining and getting stuck doing that too.  Last year we were kicking our feet back enjoying being all done. This year we don't have a kernel of seed in the ground yet. Just goes to show no two years area alike. (Except for the being wet part it seems)

I actually only started seeding a week ago. Had to waste a week or so on last year's flax field. Less said about that, the better. Most guys have been going a couple of weeks and I guess are getting close to done. Only about 120 acres or so to go but it will take a while at my slow speeds. Got some good drone video of seeding and harrowing to post when I get around to it. 

We have come a ways from the days of seeding with Co-op (Cockshutt) 33 tillers  like the one in this Co-op ad from 1948. 

Co op machinery.jpg

4 hours ago, Loadstar said:

I actually only started seeding a week ago. Had to waste a week or so on last year's flax field. Less said about that, the better. Most guys have been going a couple of weeks and I guess are getting close to done. Only about 120 acres or so to go but it will take a while at my slow speeds. Got some good drone video of seeding and harrowing to post when I get around to it. 

We have come a ways from the days of seeding with Co-op (Cockshutt) 33 tillers  like the one in this Co-op ad from 1948. 

Co op machinery.jpg

Good to hear that your almost finished with Seeding Ralph, we still have to finish seeding corn in one field but it rained over the weekend. I hope that your fields aren't as wet as last year.

I got a question where the Discers (oneway) any good? A neighbor is still using his but have no idea what brand it is.

Here is an ad of a JF binder with a single canvas, my grandfather had one which he bought used in 1958 (he also bought his first tractor from the same guy who owned that binder) and used it until the late 60's. My father says this single canvas binders were on of the best. 

-Urs

JF binder.jpg

On 5/22/2017 at 0:01 PM, U-C said:

Good to hear that your almost finished with Seeding Ralph, we still have to finish seeding corn in one field but it rained over the weekend. I hope that your fields aren't as wet as last year.

I got a question where the Discers (oneway) any good? A neighbor is still using his but have no idea what brand it is.

Here is an ad of a JF binder with a single canvas, my grandfather had one which he bought used in 1958 (he also bought his first tractor from the same guy who owned that binder) and used it until the late 60's. My father says this single canvas binders were on of the best. 

-Urs

Actually I am almost finished seeding as of today (99%) when I ran out of seed. Raining today so we needed a little shower to germinate the seeds in the dry spots. 

Re: one way diskers, I'll still say that the highest yielding crop of wheat I ever grew was planted with a Massey Ferguson 360 disker back in the 1980s. Maybe it was just a good year but that little field hit near 50 bushels per acre as I recall. Of course we did not have wheat midge, fusarium, assorted blights etc. to deal with back then. Now I consider 40 a good crop with the air seeder. 

Just for something completely different, here is an ad from 1948 for the famous "Radio Flyer" wagon. I don't recall what brand wagon I had as a kid and I literally wore it out to the point it was unrecognizable. 

48 Radio Flyer.jpg

That previous ad for the Radio Flyer wagon for $12.75 in '48 got me to wondering what a new one would cost. Well.....I found out. Probably ain't going to be any new wagons in my future.

radio flyer.JPG

But in '48 that $12 was probably considered the same as the $109 today. 

My wife has a receipt (somewhere) from her grandfather for a fuel fill on the farm. If I remember, the date was '50 or '51 and the price was 9 cents a gallon. Total to fill the barrel was $20 or something like that.

35 minutes ago, dads706 said:

But in '48 that $12 was probably considered the same as the $109 today. 

My wife has a receipt (somewhere) from her grandfather for a fuel fill on the farm. If I remember, the date was '50 or '51 and the price was 9 cents a gallon. Total to fill the barrel was $20 or something like that.

Using my handy Canadian Inflation calculator I came up with a price of $144.57 Canadian dollars in today/'s money to equal $12.75 1948 dollars. I'd guess a common labourer would be lucky to make $12 in a day back then as well. 

Here is something else that is a lot more expensive today than it was at the time of this ad. (1940)

Old Gold Cigarettes.jpg

Weren't the Co-op combine the same as the Cockshutt 429? 

Looks to me like it.  Dad bought a new Cockshutt 429 in 1956, and was used until 1981, when it was honourably retired...

2 hours ago, dewets said:

Weren't the Co-op combine the same as the Cockshutt 429? 

Looks to me like it.  Dad bought a new Cockshutt 429 in 1956, and was used until 1981, when it was honourably retired...

You are right. At that time all the Co-op machinery line was Cockshutt built. Not sure on  the model but I think the combine in the ad I posted might have been a model 112. 

This E-15A Co-op mower was actually the Cockshutt 15AS mower. My dad bought one new in the late 1950s. 

48 Co-op mower.jpg

8 hours ago, Loadstar said:

You are right. At that time all the Co-op machinery line was Cockshutt built. Not sure on  the model but I think the combine in the ad I posted might have been a model 112. 

This E-15A Co-op mower was actually the Cockshutt 15AS mower. My dad bought one new in the late 1950s. 

48 Co-op mower.jpg

Cool mower. Is this the same Co-op company as CCIL or was that a different company? CCIL later sold the CLAAS combines in Canada, but I am not a 100% sure which model if it was the Europa or the Mercury:

Here are two videos of each model:

Claas Europa archivfilm:

And the Mercury:

Here is a page from a Huerlimann Tractor brochure from the early 1950's. Tractor with side mount mower and Huerlimann Grasstedder (the grass tedder was manufactured by AGRAR which had there factory in the same city as Huerlimann)

post-1102-1145559288_thumb.jpg

The CCIL name replaced Co-op on Cockshutt tractors at some point in the 1950s. I remember the Claas, combines sold by CCIL in the 1960s. Seems to me some of  them were called  the "Yellow Fellow". I don't  have any ads of them. So here is one for the Cockshutt "driveomatic" combines from 1953. 

Some more info on the combines, http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Co-op_E112_combine

53 Cockshutt driveomatic.jpg

On 02/06/2017 at 11:55 PM, Loadstar said:

The CCIL name replaced Co-op on Cockshutt tractors at some point in the 1950s. I remember the Claas, combines sold by CCIL in the 1960s. Seems to me some of  them were called  the "Yellow Fellow". I don't  have any ads of them. So here is one for the Cockshutt "driveomatic" combines from 1953. 

Some more info on the combines, http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Co-op_E112_combine

53 Cockshutt driveomatic.jpg

These Canadian made products seemed to have been strangely absent from the Australian market. Cockshutt tractors only seemed to be imported into Australia in the early 1950's. Canada and Australia, both being being British Commonwealth countries enjoyed favourable trading arrangement. Regards from Michael H..B)

11 hours ago, Michael Halsall said:

These Canadian made products seemed to have been strangely absent from the Australian market. Cockshutt tractors only seemed to be imported into Australia in the early 1950's. Canada and Australia, both being being British Commonwealth countries enjoyed favourable trading arrangement. Regards from Michael H..B)

That is interesting, and I don't know why. To me the Cockshutt 40 and 50 would have been a good match for Australia since they were similar to the IH Super AWD6 in size and power level. If I encounter Bill Cockshutt on the summer antique show circuit, I will ask him. That is a big if as he is about 88 now.

On 6/4/2017 at 8:08 PM, Michael Halsall said:

I don't know the story as to why Cockshutts never made it to Australia. 

This is not an ad but a picture that does show the similarities (identical) between the Cockshutt and Co-op combines in the 1950s. Two Cockshutts on the left and a Co-op on the right. I'm not sure on the model number but think these are the 428 combines. The last ones to have the engine down under the grain pan. 

combine puzzle.jpg

5 minutes ago, Howard_P said:

Speaking of CCIL, perhaps George and Ralph will remember this CCIL 810, built in Sweden.  I only know of it because a Cockshutt collector near Fort Wayne imported one from Canada.

Yes, I remember CCIL (Co-op Implements) selling both Deutz and Volvo tractors in the sixties-seventies, maybe eighties too. I'm thinking the one in your photo is a Volvo? Not the air cooled Deutz. 

Here is a cover page from my 1949 CCIL catalogue that gives a bit of the story behind the company at the time. 

CCIL 1949 Catalogue small.jpg

17 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

I don't know the story as to why Cockshutts never made it to Australia. 

This is not an ad but a picture that does show the similarities (identical) between the Cockshutt and Co-op combines in the 1950s. Two Cockshutts on the left and a Co-op on the right. I'm not sure on the model number but think these are the 428 combines. The last ones to have the engine down under the grain pan. 

Those guys driving the Cockshutts aren't doing a very good job keeping the windrow on center.  Looks like they have the windrow header while the Co-Op has a regular header.  Massey had a similar windrow header option too.

1 minute ago, Big Bud guy said:

Those guys driving the Cockshutts aren't doing a very good job keeping the windrow on center.  

I'm guessing there was a fair bit of setup for that photo. Trying to get the combines all as close together as possible while still moving. Looks like the guy on the left is watching to see his unloading spout does not hit the air intake of the one beside him. Its a classic shot and a fun jigsaw puzzle for anyone interested in farming and old machinery. 

37 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Those guys driving the Cockshutts aren't doing a very good job keeping the windrow on center.  

Looks to me like they had some distractions.

8 hours ago, Howard_P said:

Speaking of CCIL, perhaps George and Ralph will remember this CCIL 810, built in Sweden.  I only know of it because a Cockshutt collector near Fort Wayne imported one from Canada.

CCIL, Spring Tractor Show 2014 (1) (Small).JPG

CCIL 810-Bolinder Munktel, Allan Adams Collection (2) (Small).JPG

CCIL did not operate in eastern Canada. That is why I am not familiar with them. It appears they operated primarily in Manitoba , Saskatchewan, and Alberta. My first encounter with a CCIL machine was when I visited Saskatchewan in 1970.

1 hour ago, George 2 said:

CCIL did not operate in eastern Canada. That is why I am not familiar with them. It appears they operated primarily in Manitoba , Saskatchewan, and Alberta. My first encounter with a CCIL machine was when I visited Saskatchewan in 1970.

That is true. As stated on the catalogue cover, factory in Winnipeg, Manitoba with branches in Sask. and Alberta. Unique to Western Canada. j

Here is an ad for the 428 Cockshutt combine which was also sold by Co-op (CCIL) in a different shade of red. Although this is not a coloured ad the combine appears to be all light (yellow) paint. I don't recall seeing one like that. Most were red and yellow.

60 Cockshutt 428 small.jpg

8 hours ago, Loadstar said:

That is true. As stated on the catalogue cover, factory in Winnipeg, Manitoba with branches in Sask. and Alberta. Unique to Western Canada. j

Here is an ad for the 428 Cockshutt combine which was also sold by Co-op (CCIL) in a different shade of red. Although this is not a coloured ad the combine appears to be all light (yellow) paint. I don't recall seeing one like that. Most were red and yellow.

60 Cockshutt 428 small.jpg

Ralph, I think it is a demonstrator that is why it is yellow or a late prototype before series production started or a so called 0 Series model, International Harvester did that with there Demonstrator tractors.

-Urs

On 6/6/2017 at 3:39 PM, U-C said:

Ralph, I think it is a demonstrator that is why it is yellow or a late prototype before series production started or a so called 0 Series model, International Harvester did that with there Demonstrator tractors.

-Urs

Possibly, but I suspect that is yellow paint to match the new "5" series of tractors that were out in 1960. Like this 550 tractor pulling a small combine. 

1959 550 small.jpg