Jump to content

Vintage Ads


clay neubauer

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, U-C said:

Here is a picture of one of the mowers with an small gas engine manufactured by AEBI & Co. AG. Maschinenfabrik Burgdorf Switzerland. The company adverticed them as "you can mowe with this mower more than with a two horse grounddrive mower!" I've scant this picture from the front cover of a swiss magazine that doesn't exist anymore.

 

That is an interesting blend of old and new technology. Although that engine is pretty old tech too. 

This is not quite a vintage ad but a vintage operator manual. I used to borrow one of these from a neighbour and that little six foot Case disk was great for breaking up small patches of new ground or bushland. Converted to hydraulic adjusted angle and a couple of Case wheel weights thrown into the carriers and it would really cut up the ground. 

 

Case bush disk.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Loadstar said:

That is an interesting blend of old and new technology. Although that engine is pretty old tech too. 

This is not quite a vintage ad but a vintage operator manual. I used to borrow one of these from a neighbour and that little six foot Case disk was great for breaking up small patches of new ground or bushland. Converted to hydraulic adjusted angle and a couple of Case wheel weights thrown into the carriers and it would really cut up the ground. 

 

Case bush disk.jpg

The Aebi company made about 7 695 of this mowers and about 75 132 from the grounddrive models. The Company was founded in 1883 by Johann Ulrich Aebi (1846-1919) and started mass production of the mowers in 1897 but manufactured this mowers a view years before. Johann Ulrich (or Hansueli) made his very first farm machine when he turned 19 years old. He made his first 20 mowers in 1876 in his farm shop. The company also manufactured seed drills until they stopped making them at the end of the 50's, the company speciallized at this time on farm vehicles for mountain farmers (which they still make to this day). Cool disc do you know how long Case made this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is a vintage ad of a Agrar-Rauschenbach threshing machine from the 1944. Agrar from Wil Switzerland bought Rauschenbach from the Georg Fischer Company from Schaffhausen Switzerland in 1939. Rauschenbach was once the largest farm equipment manufacture in Switzerland, founded in the 1840's by Johannes Rauschenbach in Schaffhausen (threshing machines were one of the main products).

 

AGRAR-1944-Breitdreschmaschine.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/20/2017 at 5:23 PM, U-C said:

 Cool disc do you know how long Case made this?

I have no idea how long Case built these breaking disks. I know they still made light duty tillage disks up into the 70s. 

That Swiss built threshing machine looks somewhat different from the threshers built in America. I don't know what brand this one is in the 1952 Goodyear Klingtite belt ad. 

52 Goodyear belts.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

I have no idea how long Case built these breaking disks. I know they still made light duty tillage disks up into the 70s. 

That Swiss built threshing machine looks somewhat different from the threshers built in America. I don't know what brand this one is in the 1952 Goodyear Klingtite belt ad. 

52 Goodyear belts.jpg

I never knew that Good Year made that kind of belts. That threshing machine could be made by Oliver because the tractor looks like one! In Switzerland and in other parts of Europe barn threshing was common, my father told me that the custom threshers would hook the electric motor which powered the threshing machine directly to the power lines! I am not sure if I can post this link of a film I've found on youtube which shows farm life in 1958 in Switzerland. In that video there is a scene of a threshing crew with the farm family at work it starts around the 36:00 minute mark.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, U-C said:

I never knew that Good Year made that kind of belts. That threshing machine could be made by Oliver because the tractor looks like one! I

 

To me that tractor in the ad looks more like a Minneapolis. Possibly a model R like the one in this 1952 ad. 

52 MM R.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Fred B said:

i am thinking the tractor on the threshing machine is a  Z,  based just that . Z  would be a better HP match. they both look almost alike. both R&Z very good, i think.

Do you collect Minneapolis Moline tractors?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is a 1943 ad from the W. Merz & Co. Advertising their tractors with a wood gasifier. Merz was a Fordson tractor dealer and in later years a Ford New Holland dealer in a near by town I used to life (sadly it looks like that this company no longer exists). Merz manufactured from 1940 to 1945 a total of 50 tractors!

Merz Tractor ad.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/23/2017 at 9:34 AM, Fred B said:

i am thinking the tractor on the threshing machine is a  Z,  based just that . Z  would be a better HP match. they both look almost alike. both R&Z very good, i think.

Could be. I do not know the smaller MM tractors very well. We mostly saw the bigger model U and the occasional G like the one in this 1954 ad. 

54 MM G ad small.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Fred B said:

U-C i collect MM, and others, it looks like your A-O has a wisconsin 4 cyl air cooled for power ?, although   i see 2 filler caps on top.

That is a 4 cylinder air cooled Wisconsin engine, changed over so it can run on Kerosene fuel. When this model was made they had a 2 cylinder and a 4 cylinder Wisconsin gasoline model, and a kerosene model and a 2 cylinder Hatz diesel model. Later models only used the MWM air cooled diesels.

-Urs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All Alpina Oekonom tractor models had a front axle suspension. From 1952 to 1963, 1230 Alpina Oekonom tractors were made by C. Hoegger & Cie. AG in Gossau Switzerland this company made butcher tools and they are now owned by an American company. The C. Hoegger & Cie company bought the production rights for the Oekonom tractors from the Hans Bodmer AG. in Switzerland in 1951. The Hans Bodmer company started making the Oekonom tractors in late 1949 to 1951 and made about 170 tractors. Oekonom is the german word for Economy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/27/2017 at 8:06 PM, U-C said:

That is a 4 cylinder air cooled Wisconsin engine, changed over so it can run on Kerosene fuel. When this model was made they had a 2 cylinder and a 4 cylinder Wisconsin gasoline model, and a kerosene model and a 2 cylinder Hatz diesel model. Later models only used the MWM air cooled diesels.

-Urs

I noticed that too and thought of the Wisconsin V4 engine. I don't know if Massey ever put one of those in their tractors but I recall seeing one for sale online years ago, might have been a model 33, and it had the Wisconsin V4 engine. It would make a unique little yard tractor with that odd sounding air cooled V4..

This big old one cylinder Field Marshall was pretty unique as well. I don't know how many they sold but we had a dealer here in Sask. (Kern Farm Equipment). As seen in this 1952 ad. I wonder how long it ran on that tank of diesel fuel? 

Field Marshall economy.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Maybe a farmer repowered his Massey Harris with that V4 Wisconsin engine. I have seen a film from the 70's made by the National Film Board of Canada called We're Here to Stay https://www.nfb.ca/film/were_here_to_stay/

The farmers in that video are using a CCIL Swather that has a Wisconsin engine.

I think that Field Marshall could maybe run a whole day without refueling. Where there any Lanz Bulldog tractors sold in your area or in Saskatchewan in general?

Here are the different engine sizes for the Alpina Oekonom tractors:

 

 

 

Alpina Oekonom3.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, U-C said:

 

Maybe a farmer repowered his Massey Harris with that V4 Wisconsin engine. I have seen a film from the 70's made by the National Film Board of Canada called We're Here to Stay https://www.nfb.ca/film/were_here_to_stay/

The farmers in that video are using a CCIL Swather that has a Wisconsin engine.

I think that Field Marshall could maybe run a whole day without refueling. Where there any Lanz Bulldog tractors sold in your area or in Saskatchewan in general?

 

 

 

 

 

I know that video and I know some of  the guys that were in it as the location is not far from me. Wisconsin engines were the first choice for most of the early swathers sold here. As well as a few small combines such as the Case model A that my dad bought in the late 1940s. I don't think they sold many Field Marshall/Lanz type tractors around here. I do recall seeing a couple at a farm auction about 30 some years ago

Here is another brand we never saw many of. A 1953 David Brown Cropmaster. 

53 DB Cropmaster.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ralph: They were in the east. We had them in Ontario and Quebec but I think it was the smaller model. I remember as a kid seeing them at the plowing match on our farm in 1953.

IH had tractors that would have competed with them price wise but they were never imported into Canada. Certainly the Farmall 450, 460, and 560 were not competitive price wise. The B450 was competitive price wise with the Ford Super Major, Nuffield 4/60, and the David Brown but was never imported into Canada. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If my info is right David Brown made tractors for Oliver. I think it was the Oliver model 500.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Loadstar said:

I know that video and I know some of  the guys that were in it as the location is not far from me. Wisconsin engines were the first choice for most of the early swathers sold here. As well as a few small combines such as the Case model A that my dad bought in the late 1940s. I don't think they sold many Field Marshall/Lanz type tractors around here. I do recall seeing a couple at a farm auction about 30 some years ago

Here is another brand we never saw many of. A 1953 David Brown Cropmaster. 

53 DB Cropmaster.jpg

Ralph: Does anyone of does guys still farm, that where in that Film? Lanz tractors were also sold here in Manitoba, someone just had a auction sale south of me and they had a Lanz.

-Urs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...