Jump to content

Vintage Ads


clay neubauer

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Big Bud guy said:

I wasn't doubting you.  I was pointing out the 914 should walk over a 6601 because it is the bigger combine.

I didn't think you were. I guess I didn't realize that there was as much difference as there is. But I know alot of guys around here used to say the deere would keep up with the 914.  I'd like to compare it to a 7701 but I've only seen 2 of them. That should be a pretty even match I would think.

The 914 is a decent size combine but when we got the 1482, wow what a difference lol. That thing will walk circles around the 914.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, db1486 said:

I didn't think you were. I guess I didn't realize that there was as much difference as there is. But I know alot of guys around here used to say the deere would keep up with the 914.  I'd like to compare it to a 7701 but I've only seen 2 of them. That should be a pretty even match I would think.

The 914 is a decent size combine but when we got the 1482, wow what a difference lol. That thing will walk circles around the 914.

The 7700 is bigger by about only 300 square inches and 9 inches wider.  So yes probably an even match.  I'm just guessing because by that time IH was nothing around here and there 7700s everywhere so it was kinda hard to compare.  My great uncle actually preferred IH tractors but JD combines.  Farmed with a tandem WD9s, then a 1256 along with a 4100.  His combine was a JD 95 then a 7700.  Even some of the die hard IH guys didn't care for the 815/915.  The AF saved IH.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dale560 said:

Dad  had an F gas my moms dad bought new. He used that combine from 72 to 79 he traded it for a diesel 815. His just ran a pickup head was used just for swathed small grains but he ran that combine through a lot of acres. They were good simple machines.

There were lots in our area because of a very good active dealer. Still see a few. I can say that around here you don't see any other brands of combines that age still running in the fields. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/12/2017 at 10:57 AM, Sledgehammer said:

There were lots in our area because of a very good active dealer. Still see a few. I can say that around here you don't see any other brands of combines that age still running in the fields. 

It was a long way to a Gleaner dealer here so they were not as numerous as JD , CIH and Massey.  

Now check out the sale prices on new CIH equipment here in February of 1990. $64,900 for a 7130 Magnum. It does not specify but I'm guessing that is for a 2 wheel drive tractor. 

1990 RJ Sales.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

It was a long way to a Gleaner dealer here so they were not as numerous as JD , CIH and Massey.  

Now check out the sale prices on new CIH equipment here in February of 1990. $64,900 for a 7130 Magnum. It does not specify but I'm guessing that is for a 2 wheel drive tractor. 

1990 RJ Sales.jpg

$64,900 makes sense for a 7130 2 wd equipped without 3 point hitch as they were out west . Here in the east the 7130 with 3 point and 2 wd retailed for $68,000 to $69,000 depending on how many aux valves they had. The 7120 was $8000 cheaper in the $60,000 range and the 7110 was $4000 cheaper than the 7120 and sold for $56,000. I bought a new 7110 that year with 2 valves and I paid $54,900 for it. Two years later it got traded on a 7120 with 3 valves at $61,000. They were all 3 point tractors and 3 point was about a $4000 option. Mine were all 2wd tractors. MFD was another $8000 -$9000 option on them all

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/13/2017 at 8:03 PM, George 2 said:

$64,900 makes sense for a 7130 2 wd equipped without 3 point hitch as they were out west . Here in the east the 7130 with 3 point and 2 wd retailed for $68,000 to $69,000 depending on how many aux valves they had. The 7120 was $8000 cheaper in the $60,000 range and the 7110 was $4000 cheaper than the 7120 and sold for $56,000. I bought a new 7110 that year with 2 valves and I paid $54,900 for it. Two years later it got traded on a 7120 with 3 valves at $61,000. They were all 3 point tractors and 3 point was about a $4000 option. Mine were all 2wd tractors. MFD was another $8000 -$9000 option on them all

Yes, another section from the same ad flyer shows a 2wd 7120 demo for 59,900. 

 

1990 Rd ta clearance.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You guys are bringing back some bad memories with the versatile 400, Gleaner and 6601 adds lol.. Maybe not the 6601 as much but I was glad to see that old 400 versatile go to the wrecker. Ironically we ended up buying parts off of it to fix the 4400 that we bought lol.. We had a Gleaner M that was plain wore out when we were done with it. Was a bit of a death trap too. Slip clutches were welded so someone had to pry the belts loose so you could start it and then go to work. Complete hay wire I know.lol.. The 6601 wasn't actually a bad little combine and I mostly missed out on running it. The versatile was what I learnt to swath on though. Learnt to drive a standard truck and the swather the same fall. I was all of 7 years old too. Did ok on the swather till I got a brush pile and had to back it up. It had the 2 leavers, one on either side of the steering wheel for reverse and at 7 years old I didn't quite grasp the concept of backing up in a straight line yet lol..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i rode on a versatile 400 but never got to run it myself it was really finicky on the steering one little move and it would spin crazy, I saw at a farm sale once there was 2 versatile 400s and they started them both up for demonstration and some one was on the before and turned the seering wheel against each other and they both quickly smashed into each other just minor dings but to be expected with them old ones haha

 

interesting with the magnums decent ones still sell for $30-40000 and they were about $60000 new, just shows how good of a tractor they really are

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/16/2017 at 10:36 PM, wheatking said:

i rode on a versatile 400 but never got to run it myself it was really finicky on the steering one little move and it would spin crazy, I saw at a farm sale once there was 2 versatile 400s and they started them both up for demonstration and some one was on the before and turned the seering wheel against each other and they both quickly smashed into each other just minor dings but to be expected with them old ones haha

 

Notice the auctioneers don't stop their truck in front of the swathers when they go to auction them . Just in case the driver is not familiar with the controls. 

I'm  going to throw in this other 7721  combine ad just because it is in  the file folder . It was when the 7721 was introduced to replace the 7701. (Which had been advertised as the world's biggest pull type combine). 

New 7721 combine.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nearly a month to go til seeding time. Back in 1950 this is the type of seed drill we might have been pulling if you lived near an Oliver dealer. Surprising to see steel wheels still available in 1950. 

1950 Oliver drill.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On March 18, 2017 at 8:43 PM, Loadstar said:

Notice the auctioneers don't stop their truck in front of the swathers when they go to auction them . Just in case the driver is not familiar with the controls. 

I'm  going to throw in this other 7721  combine ad just because it is in  the file folder . It was when the 7721 was introduced to replace the 7701. (Which had been advertised as the world's biggest pull type combine). 

New 7721 combine.jpg

Was in Killarney on Sunday and drove through dealer lots. A very nice newer 9000 series pull type sitting at the end of the lineup at the jd dealer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dale560 said:

Was in Killarney on Sunday and drove through dealer lots. A very nice newer 9000 series pull type sitting at the end of the lineup at the jd dealer.

That would be the 9501, the last pull type combine John Deere made. Good machines but they came along at the end of the popularity of pull types and never sold in numbers like the older ones did. There is a nice 9501 coming up for auction right here in Sask. this summer.  I get the feeling I've already posted this pic but here it is again. 

And here is an ad for the older 7701 back in the late 70s. 

 

9501 Govan.jpg

7701.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back in the days before big four wheel drive tractors were available, the alternative was a crawler tractor. And IH had a good selection to choose from. I don't think crawlers ever caught on for field work here but they were popular in road construction and land clearing. Not sure what model this one is but its from 1950. 

 

50 IH farm crawler.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Crawlers were common in "The Big Sky Country " ,several farmers from there came up here to farm and brought them along . (Cats mostly )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, IKS said:

Crawlers were common in "The Big Sky Country " ,several farmers from there came up here to farm and brought them along . (Cats mostly )

I guess they did better where there were more straight lines and open country. I used to see the ads in the Country Guide for cats farming. 

Like this one from 1952. 

52 Cat.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bakerg said:

Ralph, if you sent in the coupon, do you think they would still send you the free illustrated book?:D

That thought crossed my mind as well. I'd actually like to own one of those brochures. They would be worth a bit now. 

This 1938 Cletrac ad came to the surface while I was looking through my ads so thought I'd post it as they advertise it as a farm tractor. 

 

38 Cletracs small.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another ad from 1951 shows Cat tractors on the job here in Sask. pulling various implements. They even had one on the belt powering a threshing machine. 

 

 

51 Cat tractors.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This was the big powerhouse from Case back in 1950. The model LA. I had an uncle who had one for a while about that time. 

 

50 LA plowing.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't suppose they are much in demand these days, but back in 1972 after market cabs were a good selling product for many dealers. Like this Hinson on an IH tractor. 

 

72 Hinson cabs.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

I don't suppose they are much in demand these days, but back in 1972 after market cabs were a good selling product for many dealers. Like this Hinson on an IH tractor. 

 

72 Hinson cabs.jpg

Were those a regional thing?  I don't know that I have seen many compared to other aftermarket cabs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sledgehammer said:

Were those a regional thing?  I don't know that I have seen many compared to other aftermarket cabs.

They were not as common here but I think Hinson was a big name in cabs. They made cabs for  the 20 series JD tractors at some point. Possibly IH too. Here we had Fibro making cabs right in Sask. and they were one of the most common in this area. Prairie cabs from Winkler, Manitoba were good cabs. There were other names I've forgotten now too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...