Vintage Ads

clay neubauer

8 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

We had a pair of 400s along with a IH 4000.  My opinion of them is they were cheap, light, under designed, and maybe ok as long as you packed welder with you.  The IH was twice the swather the 400s ever thought of being.  Also, twin swathing or putting two windrows was popular around here for a time.  In order to make room next to the 1st windrow for the end of he header Versatile just put a small shield inside the header so the 2nd windrow would just fall a foot from the other windrow.  That wasn't very much room and you really had to pay attention in order not to "hook" the 1st windrow.  JD on the other hand used a small separate canvas on the right side of the header to drop the 1st windrow 2ft inside the end of the header made lots of room for the 2nd windrow.  Versatile swathers were popular around here too but started falling out of favor in the 80s.  Their refusal to update their lineup to modern standards and come out with a deticated hay swather was their downfall.  The 4400 still was more or less a 400 with a nice cab and 4 wheels.  Still no diesel option.  Far as I know no 25ft header either.  The JD 2360 and 2280 along with Macdon really killed Versatile around here.

I've seen about a dozen 4400's with the diesel engine. And lots of 4400's with 24' header. The 4700/4750 were actually decent machines but very few of them around. I definitely agree that no hay header for them is a big downfall. I wonder how the versatile 440 sp haybine were? Only seen a couple around. 

We run a 4000 swather and a 4000 haybine now. The swather is nice to run, but the 400 will out cut it on tough crops like flax. The haybine though will darn near keep up with a disc bine.

I don't have any more cotton equipment related ads but have enjoyed sharing the ones I have.  I have a couple of ads for the "Hi-Trac" undercarriage for the flame cultivators and sprayers. You could use just about any smaller utility type tractor. The one my Dad had used a IH 404 LP.

IH Hi-Trac brochure1.JPG

IH Hi-Trac brochure2.JPG

Here is a combine to go along with that JD 800 swather ad I posted a while back. About the same 1970 vintage. JD sold a lot of these 6601 pull type combines in this part of the country. They were comparable to the IH 914 pull type. 

New 6601.jpg

11 minutes ago, wheatking said:

grandpa had a 6601 for a few years after the old 503 died he said it would combine wheat nicely but would not quit throwing barley over it was traded off on our new 1440 axial flow and we've been red ever since

There has never been a conventional that didn't throw barley over.  Rotaries shine in barley no matter what color.

11 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

7721 from my 20 series brochure

Thats a familiar  sight.  I think I have it or a similar  ad for the 77. Its been a good machine but it met more than it's match last fall in the flax field. Hoping for a re-match this April to see if  I can get the flax  through the combine after a winter's drying. I finally gave up on the axial flow back in 2010 after years of flax straw wrapping on the rock beater. The conventional JD  was a big improvement up til last fall. Something different about last year's straw? weather? 

Here is the red equivalent ad. A 1482. 

1482 Axial flow.jpg

On Thursday, March 09, 2017 at 7:32 PM, Loadstar said:

Here is a combine to go along with that JD 800 swather ad I posted a while back. About the same 1970 vintage. JD sold a lot of these 6601 pull type combines in this part of the country. They were comparable to the IH 914 pull type. 

They were common around here too but way more 914's around. And the 914 is more combine then a 6601. I know because we had them both, and we sold the deere. The JD was easy to set and a very simple machine though.

5 minutes ago, db1486 said:

They were common around here too but way more 914's around. And the 914 is more combine then a 6601. I know because we had them both, and we sold the deere. The JD was easy to set and a very simple machine though.

There is about a 2" difference in the width between the two and 1,300 square difference in separation capacity.  For some reason JD like to make only their 2nd biggest combine into a pull type more often then not.  JD did make a 7701 but only for about a year.  I liked to have a 6601 some day but don't know what I would do with it or how I would get it home. 

14 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Here is the 106 and 96 from my 1968 JD Modern Farming.  The 106 came out in 1967 and by the fall of 1968 both the 106 and 96 were replaced by the 6601. 

Nice ads. So for a brief time JD did make a pull type version of their biggest available sp (the 105). Once the 6601 came out it was the little brother as JD had the big 7700 self propelled version by then. It was just a matter of time before they also offered a 7701 pull type. 

I saw a guy towing a 6601 behind a one ton duramax on the highway a few years back. 

If you are looking for a real nice 9501 there is one coming up at a farm auction this summer. Those were rare. http://www.kramerauction.com/auctions/equipment/displaysale_v2.php?AuctionID=1343  

9501 Govan.jpg

2 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Nice ads. So for a brief time JD did make a pull type version of their biggest available sp (the 105). Once the 6601 came out it was the little brother as JD had the big 7700 self propelled version by then. It was just a matter of time before they also offered a 7701 pull type.

I saw a guy towing a 6601 behind a one ton duramax on the highway a few years back.

If you are looking for a real nice 9501 there is one coming up at a farm auction this summer. Those were rare. http://www.kramerauction.com/auctions/equipment/displaysale_v2.php?AuctionID=1343 

9501 Govan.jpg

I'd be interested I the m500 and f150....

4 hours ago, Loadstar said:

I like one of those too just for a conversation piece.  Only crop I could use it in is canola but we are trending towards straight cut canola now.  You should bid on it.  You would have rare piece and supposedly superior combine. 

15 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

I like one of those too just for a conversation piece.  Only crop I could use it in is canola but we are trending towards straight cut canola now.  You should bid on it.  You would have rare piece and supposedly superior combine. 

If I knew it would put flax through without straw wrapping, plugging and smoking, I might just do that. But seriously I don't think they are much different internally than my 7721.

On an unrelated note, yesterday I came across this pic I have from the 1986 Farm Progress show in Regina Sask. That is me standing by a Big Bud that was on display. 

FP 86 Big Bud.jpg

32 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

If I knew it would put flax through without straw wrapping, plugging and smoking, I might just do that. But seriously I don't think they are much different internally than my 7721.

On an unrelated note, yesterday I came across this pic I have from the 1986 Farm Progress show in Regina Sask. That is me standing by a Big Bud that was on display. 

That's neat.  That's a Series 4 and they only built 21 of them.  My opinion they were the best looking Buds and course the peak of the design.  They used a 12 speed powershift tranny similar to what the CIH red Steigers used.  They were built after Big Bud went bankrupt and Meissner's the next door IH dealer took over.  On the combines there is actually quite a bit difference between the two combines.  The cylinder is bigger diameter by 4 inches, concave wraps around further, different straw walkers, completely different shoe, and they did away with the bed augers and went with a grain pan.  We ran a 8820 and 9600 together for many years.  Both combines the same separator width but the 9600 has just a little bit more capacity.  However, I always felt the 8820 did a better job. 

49 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

That's neat.  That's a Series 4 and they only built 21 of them.  My opinion they were the best looking Buds and course the peak of the design.  They used a 12 speed powershift tranny similar to what the CIH red Steigers used.  They were built after Big Bud went bankrupt and Meissner's the next door IH dealer took over.  On the combines there is actually quite a bit difference between the two combines.  The cylinder is bigger diameter by 4 inches, concave wraps around further, different straw walkers, completely different shoe, and they did away with the bed augers and went with a grain pan.  We ran a 8820 and 9600 together for many years.  Both combines the same separator width but the 9600 has just a little bit more capacity.  However, I always felt the 8820 did a better job. 

I figured you might know something about that Big Bud in the photo. I don't know if they sold any in Sask.  but this was the only one I ever saw. 

If the maximizer combines got rid of those augers under the walkers it would be one less place for flax straw to wrap. Mine was showing signs of wrapping on one auger. Not to the point of plugging but just one more place to worry about. The 9600s were very popular around here and even today are regarded as a good old simple combine compared to today's plastic computer controlled nightmare machines. 

These old "highboys" were also very popular. From 1957. 

57 JD combines small.jpg

21 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

I figured you might know something about that Big Bud in the photo. I don't know if they sold any in Sask.  but this was the only one I ever saw. 

If the maximizer combines got rid of those augers under the walkers it would be one less place for flax straw to wrap. Mine was showing signs of wrapping on one auger. Not to the point of plugging but just one more place to worry about. The 9600s were very popular around here and even today are regarded as a good old simple combine compared to today's plastic computer controlled nightmare machines. 

57 JD combines small.jpg

You will cry if you wrap those augers Ralph. We have an 8820 Titan 11 it came new out of Montana . It is a small grain combine as opposed to all the combines in here that were corn soybean machines. We never raised soybeans but the combines were set up as them for resale to the east. But the deal on a wheat machine is they run open walkers and a speeded up beater. This makes for a mess on green soybeans the straw will drop through walkers and start wrapping on those augers. Neighbors have soybean specials with hooded walkers and beater slowed they have no problem. It will make you cry when those augers plug.

49 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

I kinda forgot and lied about the augers a little.  They still used augers from under the concave to the shoe similar to your Axial Flow.  But they still used a grain pan from the back to the front of shoe.  There used to be a lot of 9600s around here and were regarded as good combines.  But this last run up in prices and the farm economy we had a few years ago allowed guys to finally trade them off for used STS combines.  I have one neighbor that went from a 7700 to a 9600 to a 9750 STS in 5 years.  I only know of two around now although there could be more I'm not aware of.  One is a 1989 model and still used by the same guys who bought it new.  It was the first 9600 sold in the area and they traded in a 7720 and 105.  We traded ours off in 1997 for a new CTS II.  That's a good ad BTW, same year as my 55. 

Gleaner F2/K2 add. Not sure the year. 4CBB275B-587F-462A-B6EF-D62C324D0E12_zps

The monitor system was called "Tattletale" and there were 3 different versions. #2 and #3 were optional. I found that interesting. When I was in school a someone tattling on you was a bad thing...

BD9E22D0-0A45-4887-A670-AFE4BE4E2082_zps

5D05742B-5525-4EF0-B9DB-45886C75BF6F_zps

20 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Gleaner F2/K2 add. Not sure the year. 4CBB275B-587F-462A-B6EF-D62C324D0E12_zps

The monitor system was called "Tattletale" and there were 3 different versions. #2 and #3 were optional. I found that interesting. When I was in school a someone tattling on you was a bad thing...

BD9E22D0-0A45-4887-A670-AFE4BE4E2082_zps

5D05742B-5525-4EF0-B9DB-45886C75BF6F_zps

Dad  had an F gas my moms dad bought new. He used that combine from 72 to 79 he traded it for a diesel 815. His just ran a pickup head was used just for swathed small grains but he ran that combine through a lot of acres. They were good simple machines.

18 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

There is about a 2" difference in the width between the two and 1,300 square difference in separation capacity.  For some reason JD like to make only their 2nd biggest combine into a pull type more often then not.  JD did make a 7701 but only for about a year.  I liked to have a 6601 some day but don't know what I would do with it or how I would get it home. 

It doesn't seem like a big difference but it is. I run both of them with the 1486. With the 914 I can take a 24.5' wheat swath at low 2 or 3 unless it's a real nice crop then I might be down to low 1. With the 6601 I would be lucky to go low 2 on a 20' swath. Most of the time I'd be in low 1. The deere wouldn't chew through canola swaths like the 914 either. They got a poorer header auger that plugs way too easy.

8 minutes ago, db1486 said:

It doesn't seem like a big difference but it is. I run both of them with the 1486. With the 914 I can take a 24.5' wheat swath at low 2 or 3 unless it's a real nice crop then I might be down to low 1. With the 6601 I would be lucky to go low 2 on a 20' swath. Most of the time I'd be in low 1. The deere wouldn't chew through canola swaths like the 914 either. They got a poorer header auger that plugs way too easy.

I wasn't doubting you.  I was pointing out the 914 should walk over a 6601 because it is the bigger combine.