Vintage Ads

clay neubauer

14 hours ago, KeithFink said:

Ha!  This stuff is great!  I know that even in this day and age, my daughter would love to have the 11-piece animal, pump, and truck set. With a $0.98 price tag, I'd be willing to buy in multiples!

I didn't come on the scene until 1966, so my days of intently studying the christmas catalogs would not have started until the early 1970s, but I fondly remember doing it. In our house the catalogs would have been from Sears, JCPenney, and Monkey Wards. I recall Sears having the more interesting toys, but they were all fun to browse.

Keep the catalog pages coming....

Keith-

Here Eatons and Simpsons Sears were the two big catalogue companies offering just about anything you needed. I have quite a lot saved but not so many really old ones. This 1960-61 is one of the older Eatons. Interesting to see the pages of firearms for sale. And the prices! Less than $20 for a re conditioned Lee Enfield 303. Maybe army surplus rifles?

Eaton 303.jpg

On November 23, 2016 at 11:46 PM, Loadstar said:

Here Eatons and Simpsons Sears were the two big catalogue companies offering just about anything you needed. I have quite a lot saved but not so many really old ones. This 1960-61 is one of the older Eatons. Interesting to see the pages of firearms for sale. And the prices! Less than $20 for a re conditioned Lee Enfield 303. Maybe army surplus rifles?

Eaton 303.jpg

I like this add a lot. Right now a Surplus 303 in town is about $550. I recognize several of the guns down farther and own a couple of them.  They made the Savage 99 (#4 left side) for over 100 years. 

3 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I like this add a lot. Right now a Surplus 303 in town is about $550. I recognize several of the guns down farther and own a couple of them.  They made the Savage 99 (#4 left side) for over 100 years. 

was the 99 the rotary magazine?  dad has one, neat gun and nice to shoot

Try again...

A30BF582-9B3E-4958-8C1B-E5767BB0D3A7_zps

EB4D4CC7-FB70-4DA2-B547-EAA142BB5FA1_zps

This is the one I have.  It is the 28 ton model. These were manufactured in Springfield IL which is 2.5hrs from me. This add was in a 1920 Hudson/Essex service station sales brochure. 

8 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

A few years later (2 weeks ago) I came across this. 

The stand is the same Weaver brand. 

Its great to actually own some of the stuff in those vintage ads that you posted. 

Here is another Eatons catalogue firearm page featuring shotguns. Can you believe those prices? A box of shotgun shells cost nearly that much now. 

Eatons shotguns.jpg

Here is another from the same sales book. 

B95351DE-2B24-41CB-8FFF-2777878AA822_zps

I have that drill in a table top press setup. I totally disassembled it yesterday (the press) and re-wired the drill. Those are high prices considering the age of the add. 

BA583101-D930-466D-B7C2-43F8B81644D3_zps

53BC15A8-5A3C-4397-9265-74C9255AF763_zps

5 hours ago, new guy said:

You have some nice old tools Sledge! Did you have to do a bunch of cleaning or did you find them this nice?

I have some old hunting magazines from the teens. Gonna have to dig them out and share some ads here.

Thanks New Guy. I pressure washed the press when I got it home. It came from a local farm sale a few years ago. I was looking for a press so I didn't have to borrow the neighbor's any more and stumbled across this one. Then, I got interested in the history of it.  It is 100% mechanical. Finding the stand was a pure accident. A buddy bought the drill press on that stand at another sale that we went to. I was loading it in the truck and saw the name on it. At that point I told him I needed to buy it from him since it was that brand. He didn't care so I paid him +$5 what he had in it to be nice and the rest is what you see. I spent a few hours more than it's worth cleaning the drill press but it turned out nice in my opinion. I've been interested in older tools for a long time. The one catch is, they have to be functional.  I didn't need another drill press but will keep this or give it to someone that needs one for occasional use.  It sounds silly but I clean that sort of stuff up for fun and relaxation. 

Well folks, the ground is white with snow today so I guess it is time to look for snow moving equipment. From my 1948 Macleods catalogue here is a nice "V" plow to fit most farm tractors at a  reasonable price of just under $300.  Bigger models for more money.

48 Macleods snowplow.jpg

Speaking of tools, here is a page from the 1948 Macleods catalogue. Look at the price of anvils. 100 pounds for $29.00 If you still had it today it would be worth much more I think. 

48 Macleods anvil small.jpg

I think Driver1 from here on the forum has that plow from above on an M. He had it at RPRU this past summer.  That anvil would probably bring $3.00-$4.00/pound or more around here at a sale today. 

I like older sporting adds and magazines so here is one from a 1943 Field and Stream. B8ECB2D6-695C-4EEE-A855-977AE40FFFAA_zps

On the rare occasion I get to bass fish I still use one of these. They can be purchased new to this day. In 2006 I caught a 6.5lb Largemouth on a black Jitterbug in a farm pond. 

Just now, Sledgehammer said:

I like older sporting adds and magazines so here is one from a 1943 Field and Stream. B8ECB2D6-695C-4EEE-A855-977AE40FFFAA_zps

On the rare occasion I get to bass fish I still use one of these. They can be purchased new to his day. In 2006 I caught a 6.5lb Largemouth on a black Jitterbug in a farm pond. 

I thought that the jitterbug was a square dance.... Lol

On 12/1/2016 at 7:55 PM, Sledgehammer said:

On the rare occasion I get to bass fish I still use one of these. They can be purchased new to this day. In 2006 I caught a 6.5lb Largemouth on a black Jitterbug in a farm pond. 

Can't get a much more exciting strike from a big bass than on a Jitterbug. Does a really cool slow walk on the water.

8 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

Can't get a much more exciting strike from a big bass than on a Jitterbug. Does a really cool slow walk on the water.

They make a large size for Muskie and the sort. That would be a blast. 

Here is some real IH vintage for a change. About 1987. The big pull type 1682 with big Case 4 wheel power up front. No way that 17.5 foot 1010 header is going to keep that big machine filled to capacity in wheat though. 25 or 30 feet of heavy canola swath is where they were at their best. 

1682.jpg

17 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Here is some real IH vintage for a change. About 1987. The big pull type 1682 with big Case 4 wheel power up front. No way that 17.5 foot 1010 header is going to keep that big machine filled to capacity in wheat though. 25 or 30 feet of heavy canola swath is where they were at their best. 

1682.jpg

I like that ad there. Minus the 1010 straight header, that's our main unit! Same tractor and combine. 

18 minutes ago, db1486 said:

I like that ad there. Minus the 1010 straight header, that's our main unit! Same tractor and combine. 

Thanks, but I should have spent a little more time scanning and "stiching " the ad together . It was too big for a single scan and when I put it together I cut a section out of the middle showing the cab of the truck. It was not a Loadstar !

The 1682 was a world of difference from these model K2 Case pull types much like one my Uncles used in the fifties. Interesting how they shipped them partially disassembled on flat cars by rail. 

Case K2s.jpg

34 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Thanks, but I should have spent a little more time scanning and "stiching " the ad together . It was too big for a single scan and when I put it together I cut a section out of the middle showing the cab of the truck. It was not a Loadstar !

The 1682 was a world of difference from these model K2 Case pull types much like one my Uncles used in the fifties. Interesting how they shipped them partially disassembled on flat cars by rail. 

Nice scan.  There was one of those sitting in the junk just south of our place until about 5 years ago.  Case was a little short on RD money so all the did was throw a VAC tractor transmission/rear end underneath a K2, add the engine from a DC, and a steering wheel and there you had it.  The SP12. 

sp12.jpg