Vintage Ads

clay neubauer

We take hydraulics for granted these days but back in 53 they were still optional equipment on many tractors. Char-lynn sold a lot of these add on kits to upgrade your tractor to hydraulic lift. No more puling the rope to work the power lift on the implement. My dad had one for his John Deere D. Of course your tractor needed to have a pto to run the pump. 

53 Charlynn hydraulics.jpg

57 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Must have been a small outfit. Came from the Country Gentleman magazine 1952

Country Gentleman magazine? Sounds a bit like our Country Guide. Ads look similar too. I'm pretty sure I have some Bearcat mill ads here somewhere but for now all I could find was this Gehl Mix all Grind all hammer mill ad from 1960. 

60 Gehl Mix all.jpg

A lot of those gehl grinders down here. Up until the early 80 s every other farm was a dairy and al oust all were livestock. Dad has an 1150 ih grinder we quit using a couple years ago he bought it used in the 60 s and we just kept running it. We are trying to find a newer gehl with hydraulic for no money.

13 hours ago, Loadstar said:

We take hydraulics for granted these days but back in 53 they were still optional equipment on many tractors. Char-lynn sold a lot of these add on kits to upgrade your tractor to hydraulic lift. No more puling the rope to work the power lift on the implement. My dad had one for his John Deere D. Of course your tractor needed to have a pto to run the pump. 

53 Charlynn hydraulics.jpg

Ralph,

What a blast from the past to see the Char-Lynn hydraulic pack. We had two neighbors who had early WD-9's that both had these. I'll bet I could go back over to Beaver Creek and walk into my late cousins shed and find that same WD-9 of his with one of these on the back end. However, I've been gone for 35+ years, so I could be mistaken. Thanks for the memory!

1 hour ago, Big Bud guy said:

Here is a Charlynn on my early 1950s Oliver 99. 

That is a good view of a real life Char Lynn installation. The old 99 was a big tractor in it's day. I'm not sure what year Oliver started offering the GM diesel option but I see in this 1952 ad they only mention the six cylinder gas or diesel engines. 

52 Oliver tractors.jpg

2 minutes ago, dale560 said:

What year is the D in the background?  Surprising what kind of relics are still out there like that Charlene unit.

I think 1942.  That is actually one of 6 Ds we own.  There are 3 more off to the right of the photo.  All styled except for one which is a 1927.  And it is setting right in front of the Oliver and Gambles.  I did a pretty good job of hiding it in the photo. 

47 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

That is a good view of a real life Char Lynn installation. The old 99 was a big tractor in it's day. I'm not sure what year Oliver started offering the GM diesel option but I see in this 1952 ad they only mention the six cylinder gas or diesel engines. 

Mine is just a what you would call a unstyled Oliver 99 like the one in the picture.  That ad is when they styled them.  The GM diesel option I think came out in 1954 and that is when they started calling them Supers.  The Oliver 99 and 90 started production in 1937 and they replaced the 28-44.  The only difference between the two was the 99 used a high compression gas engine and the 90 used a lower compression engine designed to burn kerosene and distillate.  The 99 was advertised as the most powerful tractor on wheels.  It had over 50 drawbar hp which was a level of horsepower Case, IH, and JD would not meet or exceed until the 50s.  Course by then the Oliver Super 99 GM had even more. 

Oliver99-1.jpg

3 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Dad has a 49 I think his dad had a 48 model and he sold it so then a good friend of his sold him his dad's and been in a shed since then.

I've always marveled at the simplicity and ruggedness of a D.   That one in the picture is the only one we still have with the water valve intact. 

14 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

I've always marveled at the simplicity and ruggedness of a D.   That one in the picture is the only one we still have with the water valve intact. 

Dads has the water valve it is not installed but he has it. And from what they say we're tough tractors. Were a lot of Oliver's up here but not a lot of those old ones.

Believe it or not, some of my best memories as a small kid was shoveling corn into a Bear Cat grinder just like the one pictured. In their day, they were the Steiger of grinders. 

32 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Another Oliver ad from 1953 showing the 99. Surprised me to see they had ether injection for starting the diesel back then. 

Case 500s which came out that same year were set up for ether injection.  Probably a necessity for Case and Oliver since their diesels used no secondary system for starting. 

32 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Here is an interesting little IH pull type combine. I don't recall ever seeing one. 

From the 1964 buyers guide. 

64 IH 80 combine.jpg

I've seen 1 at a farm sale about 10 yrs ago it was pulled from the fence row to sell and I'm sure it went to the scrap dealer after the sale was over

19 hours ago, wheatking said:

I've seen 1 at a farm sale about 10 yrs ago it was pulled from the fence row to sell and I'm sure it went to the scrap dealer after the sale was over

Too bad they go for scrap but that will make the survivors worth more. 

Here is another very popular tractor out in this part of the world. The  W9 McCormick as seen on the back cover of a 1949 publication I happened to have here. 

49 IH W9.jpg

5 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Too bad they go for scrap but that will make the survivors worth more. 

Here is another very popular tractor out in this part of the world. The  W9 McCormick as seen on the back cover of a 1949 publication I happened to have here. 

49 IH W9.jpg

ya that's true if we can find another survivor first lol

the W-9 is a big heavy machine I don't have one although i know where one is except it the typical story its worth lots and i might restore it some day. hopefully i can save it some time