Vintage Ads

clay neubauer

The thing that really struck me in that ad is the high level of safety warnings ,this was all the way back in 1948 MM saw the hazards and I'm sure there were no Govt. agencies to point that out .

That is a nice ad. I've seen others of that vintage showing the corn in "stooks" too. I was thinking same as Ron that they had been cut and stooked by hand to dry out for future harvesting.

Here is the Minneapolis version of some type corn harvester or husker I guess. Top one is just a regular combine. From 1948.

I'm sure we have all hurt ourselves in the past , farm safety has been one of the hottest topics in the last few months .

The very things referred to are still very high priorities.

Way to go M.M. .

True, I don't think safety often came up in machinery ads in those days. Minneapolis had some real creative and imaginative ads.

Like this one from 1948

post-90-0-64472300-1452824939_thumb.jpg

Found another vintage 1975 catalogue today. Its pretty dirty from years of neglect but I took a quick snap of one ad that caught my eye. Ever consider putting a front end loader on your 4366 four wheel drive? Artsway built one to fit.

post-90-0-29693100-1452881908_thumb.jpg

Found another vintage 1975 catalogue today. Its pretty dirty from years of neglect but I took a quick snap of one ad that caught my eye. Ever consider putting a front end loader on your 4366 four wheel drive? Artsway built one to fit.

Looks like a 4166. I should put a loader like that on ours!

I found this old ad on ebay from 1966 for Sohigro chemical.

The reason I was searching for this ad was because the man driving the Farmall 560 Diesel is my grandfather and that was his farm in the background. Unfortunately he passed away before I was born but from the pictures of the farm it looks like he was an IH guy.

post-86678-0-31420200-1452889545_thumb.j

Here is the picture from the photo shoot we had in the family album.

post-86678-0-53273300-1452889578_thumb.j

The reason I was searching for this ad was because the man driving the Farmall 560 Diesel is my grandfather and that was his farm in the background. Unfortunately he passed away before I was born but from the pictures of the farm it looks like he was an IH guy.

attachicon.gifSohigro 4 resized.jpg

attachicon.gifSohigro 8 resized.jpg

What a story! That is so cool.

That is definitely a great find when you have a family member right in the vintage ad.

I don't have anything that special but saved this one from 1992. I thought it was unique in that it had both mine and my brother's names right on the cover.

post-90-0-97586300-1452906195_thumb.jpg

That is definitely a great find when you have a family member right in the vintage ad.

I don't have anything that special but saved this one from 1992. I thought it was unique in that it had both mine and my brother's names right on the cover.

I find it odd that they used a Case and an IH. Why wouldn't they put on a boxcar or something

I find it odd that they used a Case and an IH. Why wouldn't they put on a boxcar or something

The purpose of the mailer is to attract customers for service. Thus, they are representing that they service both the older Case models and the IH tractors.

The M&M undercarriage under an M&M combine. Gary ;)

That is a great pic, what year would that be?

Yes, nice Unifarmor ad from Minneapolis Moline. I'd guess late 1950s.

Here is an ad featuring a combine similar to the one Gary posted . This one from 1953.

post-90-0-74425900-1453044808_thumb.jpg

Minneapolis referred to their hydraulic cylinders as "jacks".

I would agree on that Art.

I think power steering was just becoming a popular option about that time. The Case ad from 1954 also makes great mention of their new power steering available on the model 120 combine.

post-90-0-15921700-1453143059_thumb.jpg

This 1954 Timken ad shows an interesting harvest scene in the background. Some type of crawler (Cat?) pulling a combine that appears to be riding a little low on one side.

post-90-0-14806600-1453339414_thumb.jpg

Here is an ad showing Massey Harris putting their combines through some torturous testing back in 1953. They even imported special abrasive dust from Arizona for the testing.

post-90-0-25641700-1453438976_thumb.jpg

Velly interestink. Desert dust is high in mineral crystals like silica and eats up metal like crazy. Guys from other parts often lose their shirt bidding on dirt projects.

Yes, that was interesting. I doubt grain dust has anything near that type of abrasive quality.

Here is an ad from 1955 showing a Massey 80 Special picking up a rather skimpy wheat swath. That straw buildup between the pickup and the auger almost indicates that the straw is quite tough. Or else the pickup needs some modification.

There is a "roto cleaner" mounted on top of the grain tank to clean out some of the small weed seeds and cracked grain.

post-90-0-39468100-1453521985_thumb.jpg

Ralph ,I don't think it is the poor swath as much as the huge off set causing quite a long section with only the odd dropped head to pick and thus virtually no material to push in . I'm sure I have never noticed that much off set before .

Ralph ,I don't think it is the poor swath as much as the huge off set causing quite a long section with only the odd dropped head to pick and thus virtually no material to push in . I'm sure I have never noticed that much off set before .

After looking at the picture closer, that is some real poor engineering by not leaving the header big enough on the one side so that you could center the pickup on the feederhouse. It looks like even the auger flighting and fingers is offset from the feederhouse.

After looking at the picture closer, that is some real poor engineering by not leaving the header big enough on the one side so that you could center the pickup on the feederhouse. It looks like even the auger flighting and fingers is offset from the feederhouse.

It does appear to have an offset on the pickup for some reason. My best guess, and I could be wrong, the pickup drive on the left end of the header and they wanted to keep the drive shaft shorter so they set the pickup closer to the left (drivers) end of the pickup. I should check the MH 60 I have here to see if it is the same.

By the 1970s White (Cockshutt) made sure to show their 5542 picking up a nice heavy swath of wheat here. Those Melroe steel belt pickups were very popular here at the time.

post-90-0-00027000-1453650105_thumb.jpg

Twenty some years earlier, in 1954, Cockshutt was advertising power steering option on their big 137 and the smaller 132 combines. A 37 inch wide body was a good big combine in those times. Comparable to the Massey 90. I don't think John Deere had anything that big at the time. Not sure about IH.

post-90-0-88143400-1453734435_thumb.jpg

In the conditions here ,very dry ,all the MH 90 and 92 I ever saw none would feed well,but they where well used as well.

Don't know if there where any of the JD 36 machines on the Canadian prairie,not a self propelled machine but was a much bigger machine than a MH. They did not handle green weeds so I am sure green straw would of also been a problem.But in dry grain would cut with a JD 95 and very good sample. This combine was first built in the 20's by Holt the crawler tractor inventor as .With the problem in the economy Holt and Best companies had combined to become Caterpillar. They sold combine production to John Deere in the 30's and many Caterpillar dealer sold JD tillage and planting equipment.