Vintage Ads

clay neubauer

This has been one dandy thread ,averaging about 3.3 posts per day over 4 years. They haven't all been an ad posted but it has been a very good thread for staying on topic considering how many threads on the net go.

Squirrel

This has been one dandy thread ,averaging about 3.3 posts per day over 4 years. They haven't all been an ad posted but it has been a very good thread for staying on topic considering how many threads on the net go.

And I can hardly believe we are only ten days away from the fourth "anniversary" of when this thread began. Never would have guessed I had enough old ads to carry on that long but I seem to keep digging up and scanning more.

I guess we do drift all over the place in subjects but I try to keep it all vintage ads of some kind or another.

This one fits in well on an IH forum. From 1953, an ad for IH 5 star service.

post-90-0-80509900-1452405786_thumb.jpg

Part of Allis-Chalmers Man and Food series of edutisements during the reign of the D series tractors. Part education, part advertisements.

post-119769-0-82107800-1452430349_thumb.

Part of Allis-Chalmers Man and Food series of edutisements during the reign of the D series tractors. Part education, part advertisements.

That is an excellent series of ads that I have never seen before. Reminds me of Minneapolis ads of that time where they worked a bit of history in with advertising their equipment.

And Redturbo, your price quote on the IH pickup sounds about the same figure as I was thinking. At first I thought maybe $2000 was a bit high but now you mention yours, I guess I was close. I'll have to look up the bill of sale I have on the other computer.

Here is a Massey Harris ad from 1953 showing the great strides in progress on the farm going from threshing machines to combines.

post-90-0-54023100-1452437221_thumb.jpg

You don't see many of these edutisements now days. When you do, they tend to in farm or agribusiness magazines. So essentially they are preaching to the choir. Back in the day, these kinds of ads were seen in Life magazine, Saturday Evening Post, Popular Mechanics/Science and periodicals that many in the general public saw. Seems like modern agriculture has a negative perception in the eyes of the public and this would be a good way to get the message out.

You don't see many of these edutisements now days. When you do, they tend to in farm or agribusiness magazines. So essentially they are preaching to the choir. Back in the day, these kinds of ads were seen in Life magazine, Saturday Evening Post, Popular Mechanics/Science and periodicals that many in the general public saw. Seems like modern agriculture has a negative perception in the eyes of the public and this would be a good way to get the message out.

As the population of real farmers gets smaller all the time, each generation becomes a little further removed from agriculture in general. Not a good thing but there is no stopping it.

I'm reminded of this Minneapolis Moline ad from 1954. Pretty much any school kid in those days would have at least recognized the name of the explorer "Sieur de la Salle" from Canadian history class. Seeing the name show up in a Minneapolis ad would draw their attention. Farm kids would certainly recognize that Minneapolis "U" pulling the one way disker just like their dad used in daily farm work.

post-90-0-67482300-1452456651_thumb.jpg

i think MM was ahead of the game with their standard, or wheatland type tractors,( except for the largest model) for the most part looks like they just put an i beam axle under the front of a row crop. bigger diameter back wheels, longer wheelbase, turning brakes?

Ralph,

This is not an ad, but the discussion of pickup prices... The white 1960 B-100 short box, fleet side pickup, with a 266 V-8 engine and four speed transmission, I ordered and bought new from Bourke Motor & Implement in Lewistown, Montana. It cost $1749 FOB Lewistown. I surprised a lot of cars with that screamin' little 266 engine. I added the whitewalls, "flipper" hubcaps, dual exhausts and a radio. The radios that year had an antenna on the top that required drilling a hole in the top of the cab. I didn't like that, so put it down under the dash and added a standard antenna. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-96434400-1452477287_thumb.jp

post-5643-0-66170700-1452477376_thumb.jp

Ralph,

This is not an ad, but the discussion of pickup prices... The white 1960 B-100 short box, fleet side pickup, with a 266 V-8 engine and four speed transmission, I ordered and bought new from Bourke Motor & Implement in Lewistown, Montana. It cost $1749 FOB Lewistown. I surprised a lot of cars with that screamin' little 266 engine. I added the whitewalls, "flipper" hubcaps, dual exhausts and a radio. The radios that year had an antenna on the top that required drilling a hole in the top of the cab. I didn't like that, so put it down under the dash and added a standard antenna. Gary ;)

Gary I remember those roof mount radios in IH pickups. We went to see a JD drill a farmer had for sale back about 1973 and he drove us out to his farm in a mid sixties IH pickup with the roof mount radio. I think it had a 304 as well.

I found the order sheet for the L112 pickup that I had mentioned earlier and surprisingly it is higher than your B series ten years later. Of course this was a long box with six ply tires, oversize battery, extra sun visor and chrome front bumper. A cash price of $1960.78. The additional Sask. tax pushed the final delivered price up to $2019.60.

post-90-0-94662900-1452482672_thumb.jpg

Ralph,

Gary I remember those roof mount radios in IH pickups. We went to see a JD drill a farmer had for sale back about 1973 and he drove us out to his farm in a mid sixties IH pickup with the roof mount radio. I think it had a 304 as well.

I found the order sheet for the L112 pickup that I had mentioned earlier and surprisingly it is higher than your B series ten years later. Of course this was a long box with six ply tires, oversize battery, extra sun visor and chrome front bumper. A cash price of $1960.78. The additional Sask. tax pushed the final delivered price up to $2019.60.

Ralph,

You reminded me. I also ordered chrome front AND rear bumpers. Gary ;)

Ralph,

We didn't see a lot of those chrome bumpers on IH pickups back then.

Here is something different. 15,000 acres is a pretty good sized farm today. In 1960 it must have been huge. Located near Torquay, Sask. and it was featured in this John Deere ad from 1960. They farmed all those acres with five JD 830 tractors.

post-90-0-71739900-1452566000_thumb.jpg

Ralph,

We didn't see a lot of those chrome bumpers on IH pickups back then.

Here is something different. 15,000 acres is a pretty good sized farm today. In 1960 it must have been huge. Located near Torquay, Sask. and it was featured in this John Deere ad from 1960. They farmed all those acres with five JD 830 tractors.

Nice ad. I was thinking to myself before I clicked on the ad scan is they had to have run 24 hrs a day. The most acres anybody around here farmed including us with a tractor that size was about 1,000. Sure enough the ad says they run two 12 hr shifts.

Nice ad. I was thinking to myself before I clicked on the ad scan is they had to have run 24 hrs a day. The most acres anybody around here farmed including us with a tractor that size was about 1,000. Sure enough the ad says they run two 12 hr shifts.

Yes, thats 3000 acres per tractor. That would keep you busy with just an 830 JD. I recall another newspaper item about ten years later showing the same guy heading a cavalcade of new 7520 four wheel drives heading down the highway from the dealership in Regina. One little 4020 in front of (I think) five 7520s. I'll post the pic if I can find it.

For now here is a tractor more representative of the average sized farmer in this part of Sask. in 1951. Massey Harris sold a lot of those model 44s here. Although we never saw those type of hay harvesters here.

post-90-0-61579800-1452659324_thumb.jpg

I am guessing it was like here years ago half summer fallow so that reduced the springs work to 7500 acres and they probably seeded with a disc seeder so it was one pass

Yes, I'd say you are right about half summerfallow. I think the ad did mention seeding with drills though so it would need pre working and then another operation with the drills.

Cool ad touching upon all that IH has to offer you the consumer. Nice fall scene also and look what dad shot for supper! But why all the stacks of corn stalks?

o50037.jpg

Those are shocks. Crop is being stored until dry and/or until it is taken in for further processing into feed or maybe shelled for grain. The ad says the new equipment is on the way. Corn pickers and such. It will do away with this labor intensive way of farming.

Ron

Cool ad touching upon all that IH has to offer you the consumer. Nice fall scene also and look what dad shot for supper! But why all the stacks of corn stalks?

That is a nice ad. I've seen others of that vintage showing the corn in "stooks" too. I was thinking same as Ron that they had been cut and stooked by hand to dry out for future harvesting.

Here is the Minneapolis version of some type corn harvester or husker I guess. Top one is just a regular combine. From 1948.

post-90-0-81956900-1452795213_thumb.jpg

That is a nice ad. I've seen others of that vintage showing the corn in "stooks" too. I was thinking same as Ron that they had been cut and stooked by hand to dry out for future harvesting.

Here is the Minneapolis version of some type corn harvester or husker I guess. Top one is just a regular combine. From 1948.

The thing that really struck me in that ad is the high level of safety warnings ,this was all the way back in 1948 MM saw the hazards and I'm sure there were no Govt. agencies to point that out .

I'm sure we have all hurt ourselves in the past , farm safety has been one of the hottest topics in the last few months .

The very things referred to are still very high priorities.

Way to go M.M. .