Vintage Ads

clay neubauer

This is not a tractor ad, but it is vintage from 1963. Home design books sure have came along way - actually, every customer that wants me to draw them a house, usually brings in something off the internet for me to modify, reverse, flip, etc...

No, not a machine ad but still interesting. I'm guessing maybe early seventies vintage? I've got a few of those old home catalogues here too. I think this page dates to the 1920s. The "Maple Shade".

Gambrel roof design. As kids when we saw one of those roofs we would say, "hey its a barn house".

That is hilarious Ralph, sitting here in the chair with my 2 year old son on my lap I had the ad enlarged so I could read it and my son pointed at it and said "barn". Haha

Gambrel roof design. As kids when we saw one of those roofs we would say, "hey its a barn house".

That is hilarious Ralph, sitting here in the chair with my 2 year old son on my lap I had the ad enlarged so I could read it and my son pointed at it and said "barn". Haha

Good, it wasn't just us then. :=) That same catalogue holds some interesting barn designs. This one was a pretty prosperous looking building and at 40 x 60 feet, quite a good size too. Claimed to have space for 24 cattle and 15 horses. You would get plenty of exercise with the manure fork keeping that barn clean in the winter I think.

post-90-0-99261700-1449932782_thumb.jpg

did you notice the "maple shade" blueprint has not bathroom?

I had not noticed that but you are right. If you read the "fine print" they state that it is intended that one of the rear bedrooms should be equipped for one. I guess we could say that in those days an indoor bathroom was "optional".

did you notice the "maple shade" blueprint has not bathroom?

I actually noticed that also. I just thought since it was 1920s that was the norm in the country

Ralph, I didn't mean to throw your "barn train" off of the tracks. This is a barn between Helena and Butte. I took my camera to Butte to help with a friend's new steam engine last summer. On the way home, I slowed to 55 mph in the right lane of the freeway and took this photo. I figured it'd be blurred, but it turned out okay. I'd always think of what it may be like to walk through big old barns like this one?

post-5643-0-67942200-1449949829_thumb.jp

This was the "plain old" barn at the homestead, that Grandpa Yaeger built in 1917, but a few years later shown. This lean to was to help keep the barn from distorting its shape. It tried.

post-5643-0-51247400-1449949962_thumb.jp

This was it behind Grandpa's 1916 Hudson Road Cruiser Touring Car. It didn't have a lean to here.

post-5643-0-89655600-1449950002_thumb.jp

PS: The Road Cruiser had fold out seats behind the front seats, for seating a couple more people.

post-5643-0-47140800-1449950189_thumb.jp

The Barn is still standing and the Olsen's who now own the place held a barn dance up in the hayloft for one of their kids who married in 2012. That makes me feel good about the old barn. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-32672300-1449950075_thumb.jp

i remember this barn when It was on its farm. Now is at the Plymouth County Fairgrounds at LeMars, IA

http://www.waymarking.com/gallery/image.aspx?f=1&guid=16dc5bfe-562b-4d7d-8289-9ee888d88eb3

Ron

OBG, I think I see a 1206 peeking around the corner, next to that big old barn.

Ralph, I didn't mean to throw your "barn train" off of the tracks. This is a barn between Helena and Butte.

The Barn is still standing and the Olsen's who now own the place held a barn dance up in the hayloft for one of their kids who married in 2012. That makes me feel good about the old barn. Gary ;)

No problem Gary. We tend to drift from one subject to another pretty often. Nice to see those old barns being saved. They aren't building any new ones. Here is one of our local barns that has been restored. The historic Bell Barn.

http://www.bellbarn.ca/

And just for some IH content, here is a 1962 ad .

post-90-0-94193000-1449975075_thumb.jpg

what is the kick up at the bottom of the roof for on those hip roof barns?

I am guessing to allow the stalls to be extended out and for increased headroom.

My best guess would be to shoot rainwater and melting ice further away from the barn.

what is the kick up at the bottom of the roof for on those hip roof barns?

I am guessing to allow the stalls to be extended out and for increased headroom.

My best guess would be to shoot rainwater and melting ice further away from the barn.

Yep. Pregutter design. We have a mid 40s hip roof. Can't decide what to do with it. Vintage ads?

How are you going to rake hay with open rake wheels, especially up to 20 mph?

Raking hay at 20 mph!!?? You are kidding, right? I rake with my Pollard with open wheels at a maximum of maybe 5 mph. Much faster than that and the wheels would be off the ground most of the time. Hay fields are rough. But no, the hay does not fall through the spokes, although it used to have a type of fibre wheel centre covering the spokes.

Oh right, nearly forgot to throw in a 1949 Farmhand ad. How about that V plow? Now that is where you could go 20 mph and really make the snow fly.

post-90-0-09819400-1450312627_thumb.jpg

The Farmhand ad said up to 20 mph. The rake wheels do look tall.

Ok, I missed that detail. Still, I don't have a tractor that will do 20 mph even on the road. Can't imagine it in a hay field.

Since the subject of Farmhands with snow blowers came up I though I would re post this 1955 ad showing the snow blower attachment . No word on what type engine but it does not look Wisconsin. Belt pulley off the tractor was an option too.

post-90-0-93158400-1450316259_thumb.jpg