Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SMiller

Man killed using a tow strap last night

A man was killed last night in the 10in. snow storm in Peru IN. He was pulling a vehicle out of a ditch, the strap broke and came trough the back window and blew through his head, the kicker is his 4 year old daughter was sitting in the passenger seat, very sad, please be careful when using straps and chains! Check and inspect your equipment from time to time, and double check your attachment points, a few extra seconds could save a lifetime...

http://kokomotribune...randed-motorist

This is so sad. The reality of this kind of accident is that MANY of us have just missed having the same thing happen.

Sorry to hear about this.

Jason

chances are he couldnt pull.. so he probably thought. "il just back up, put it in drive and give er' H&LL!" ....so typical. -_- this is why i hate tow straps.. so much energy built up in those straps can kill!

So sad and horrific, this is the second fatality I know of in 3 weeks,this summer the tow rope clevis broke on a neighbours farm it came through back window of his tractor and fortunatly he was unharmed. I was told when the other lad was killed if you string the tow rope through an old tire it will either rap on the tire before becoming airbourne or the tire will at least pull it to the ground so it can't launch .

Don't like those things,won't own one.They don't mix with anything else,chain,cable,clevises nothing.Neighbor damn near did him self in about 20 years ago with one,used it with a chain.He had to wear a hardhat everywhere for about a year while his skull slowly healed.Plus as they age they get weaker,sun breaks them down,oil,grease.I have lots of things around this place I only use every decade or so,so anything that doesn't age well is not good.

So sad and horrific, this is the second fatality I know of in 3 weeks,this summer the tow rope clevis broke on a neighbours farm it came through back window of his tractor and fortunatly he was unharmed. I was told when the other lad was killed if you string the tow rope through an old tire it will either rap on the tire before becoming airbourne or the tire will at least pull it to the ground so it can't launch .

That sounds like a logical idea and I wonder if anyone has tried it out to see if it is true? I have used mine many times to pull out stuck implements and vehicles. So far so good but it is a little scary when you see just how far that big rope stretches out before things start to move.

Any time pulling on a stuck vehicle or equipment with a nylon tug strap the warning that comes with everyone sold is to put something on or around it in the middle to absorbe the energy if it brakes. Know the limitations of the strap. A 30k strap sounds like a pretty healthy strap but consider a 6k pickup at 10mph can exceed 30k momentarily. Another unsafe practice I see often is pulling of a trailer ball with these straps. That ball makes quite a deadly missle.

DR

my rules in pulling others out is you dont like where i am hooking to you then do it yourself or dont ended up in the ditch. DO NOT HOOK UP TO A BALL HITCH!!! you are asking for trouble if you want me to hook there get someone else, and i will not use a two strap with hooks, i rather use the ones with loops and a good clevis or yes i got some HUMMVEE tow shackles. and finally dont blame me for damage done to your vehicle im not the one that parked in the ditch or field.

I've pulled a couple rigs out,but I don't too carried away jerking on stuff at high speed,if I can't bump it loose in second and just off idle then I need to figure how to pull it different.

A 8500lb truck jerking on stuff at 20mph can tear stuff up!

That said...I had 20' of logging chain pile up on my shoulder one time when I was pulling on a dozer tryin to get the track back on.

I dusted off the hard hat after that.

The trick is to use chains like my grandpa finds from god knows where. You start pulling and jerking with a 20' chain and by the time you have the vehicle out of the ditch you have a brand new 25 footer!

:P

They are also nice for when you are getting pulled by someone who likes to shift gears about halfway though the pull and never look back once they have you moving. Clutch,slack, shift, slam, go back and pick up the pieces of your bumper later. :o

The trick is to use chains like my grandpa finds from god knows where. You start pulling and jerking with a 20' chain and by the time you have the vehicle out of the ditch you have a brand new 25 footer!

:P

They are also nice for when you are getting pulled by someone who likes to shift gears about halfway though the pull and never look back once they have you moving. Clutch,slack, shift, slam, go back and pick up the pieces of your bumper later. :o

Chains can break too. Especially when you jerk them or don't keep them tight.

That's a terrible trajedy for the family. I can't imagine how that would be for the 4 year old that was in the truck with him.

The ropes that were used to tie up the work boats alongside the rigs are 5 or 6 inches in diameter, and when the captian would let the current get the best of him, they would sometimes break.

Sorry to hear this Shawn , I had to deal with the same deal in 1981 , a new 1486 , nylon rope , clevis = dead kid after is went thought his head !!!!

Don't use these things , remember your dead along time !!!!

Danny

I learned a lesson trying to pull a shrub out with 7/16" chain and Magnum. wrapped the chain around the shrub and hooked it to the tractor and eased the clutch out slowly.The chain got taught and then I didn't see it any more. It had broken and shot (fortunately) under the tractor and was strung out in front of the tractor. If it had gone towards the cab I would never had time to react. Was a great lesson for me.

Bad thing for that poor child and the family....my granpas policy was a block and tackle type of deal. worked good for him with no fatalities...not always an option though.

The ropes that were used to tie up the work boats alongside the rigs are 5 or 6 inches in diameter, and when the captian would let the current get the best of him, they would sometimes break.

Growing up next to where the Mississippi/ Ohio join, you know a few people that work on the river. Most start out as deck hands on the barges, lower Mississippi runs some big tows. They have said when a rope breaks it cuts off anything in it's way, if your standing in the wrong spot, you go home with no feet. I am lucky to not know any one that lost a limb doing it. We used those barge ropes to pull stuff out with all the time, never saw one break with a truck, but I bet some could do it.