td 6 cluth adjustment

redneckhippie

i have had this for a couple years and tinker with it every now and then. right now im working onn the clutch as it wont stay in. i have to hold the handle back all the time. i took loose the keeper but couldnt get it to turn nor do i know which way to turn it. any suggestions to getting it to work? my arms are getting sore.

My service manual for my 1962 series 62 td6 says in the engine clutch description

“The release mechanism has an automatic clutch brake which facilitates the shifting of transmission gears. No adjustment of the clutch brake is necessary.” Haven’t gone that far with mine yet though.

It appears your clutch adjustment might be too tight not allowing it to over-centre? Turning the ring clockwise tightens the clutch. They can be difficult to break free sometimes as the threads fill with clutch disc dust.

mike

Them threads has a lot of surface so they do like to bind. I try to lift it to reduce the drag. A small ratchet strap lifting on the other side helps with the binding too. Once mine started to move they went easier. Careful with the tapping, those tabs are breakable.

Barring that somebody got it adjusted wrong in the first place, it probably won't take more than a notch to correct it. Possibly swelling of the clutch or more likely some rust build up on the plates is taking up space. After a little usage be prepared to adjust it back. Sometimes they slip under load without a lot of notice.

One of the guys I worked for when I was younger had a D5sa that was a bear to pull over,plowing with that was a workout,kept my left arm in shape though...

Glad you got it to over center again...that would be a pain having to hold it back all the time.

Archived