Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skywalker

453 Detroit Diesel

A 4-53 in a pickup isn't impossible.  The 53 series is way shorter in height than the 71 series.  I'd like to put one in the '46 Dodge Powerwagon that we have.  That or a Perkins.  But I think a 236 Perkins wouldn't have enough power, and a 354 Perkins wopuld be too long.  Any way we decide to go, we have bunches of those engines lying around.  This truck has 5.43 gears in it, so a smaller motor would be fine.  Just need to find a transmission to mate to the engine..

Could use a 6-cyl. DUETZ then You could gain a bit more length under the hood by removing the radiator.... :D

I've already thought about putting the radiator in the bed and putting a Flexlite electric fan on it...

Sawmill, thats the best avater thing on this website. Whats the story about it???

Doc, we just happen to have a 4, 5, and a 6 cylinder Duetz's on the farm. I'm sure nobody would miss just one of them.

No offense to you "die hard" 2 cycle fans, but there are a lot of better engines to invest your time in than them noisy, oil leakin' Detroits! (excluding the 40 & 60 series 4 cycles of course :wub: .)

THEY ARE KNOWN AS FILL THE OIL ENGINES BUT THE 12-71 IN DINOSAUR DIDN'T LEAK LIKE MOST DO.

YES THERE ARE MORE FUEL EFFICIENT ENGINES THAN THE 2 STROKE DETROITS BUT I STILL LOVE THEM SCREAMING JIMMIES! :D THIS DOES'T MEAN I WOULD RECOMEND 1 TO SOMEONE THAT HAS NO EXP. WITH THEM AS YOU HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO DRIVE THEM AND SOME PEOPLE NEVER FIGURE IT OUT! :lol:

Most Guys who say they like Detroits haven't run them that much.... Noise alone will make Your ears ring for a month.....

I DROVE A TANKER (PETRO)90,000 lbs WITH A SILVER 92(V-8) FOR A YEAR UNTILL A FLOATING(SLIPSEAT) DRIVER ON A WEEKEND TRIED TO HAUL A LOAD WITH FAN ON AUTOMATIC AND OVERHEATED & CRACKED BOTH HEADS!ONLY PROBLEM WITH IT WAS 4.5MPG MAX! I OUT PULLED THE 400 BIG CAMS ALL THE TIME!DROVE DINOSAUR FOR YEAR AND HALF(12-71) UNTILL SOME ONE HIT AND RAN IT AT THE RAIL YARD ONE NIGHT WHEN IT WAS PROPERLY PARKED AND IT WAS TOTALED!

I STILL LOVE THEM SCREAMING JIMMIES!

MAYBE MY HEARING ISN'T TO GOOD FROM BLACK SABBATH,HENDRIX,LED ZEPPLIN ETC. :D

Dr Evil

Some of us guys have spent enough

time that we learned how to drive and

service a Detroit. I don't claim they are

the best engine. But I have drove trucks

with everything from a 4-71 to a 8-92

and they got the job done.

Of course we had real trucks with

enough gears to run them .

If you think a Detroit makes noise.

Sit in a KW log truck all day with a

NH 320 supercharged Cummins. If the

snap and pop and the sound of the

blower don't get your ears the jake will.

I run Cummins and Cats in my own trucks,

but I have been around long enough not

to bad mouth something that works.

IH RD might want to get a John Deere

cap. John Deere put the torque in the

60 series Detroit.

Welll I own an IH truck with a "dripper" in it. I wouldn't have absolutely anything else. The main reason I purchased the truck to haul my tractors around with was because it had the Detroit in it. Some guys don't like them..but I have never had problems out of it and it has ALWAYS started when it was needed. I can tune it up/replace injectors/set the timing etc by myself...don't have to call anyone out of town to come do it for me for a large lottery winnings size repair bill. If you have a showbook from last year's RPR it's the orange CO 4070a from Missouri.

Dr Evil

Some of us guys have spent enough

time that we learned how to drive and

service a Detroit. I don't claim they are

the best engine. But I have drove trucks

with everything from a 4-71 to a 8-92

and they got the job done.

Of course we had real trucks with

enough gears to run them .

If you think a Detroit makes noise.

Sit in a KW log truck all day with a

NH 320 supercharged Cummins. If the

snap and pop and the sound of the

blower don't get your ears the jake will.

I run Cummins and Cats in my own trucks,

but I have been around long enough not

to bad mouth something that works.

cap.  John Deere put the torque in the

60 series Detroit.

"REAL" Trucking companies frown on Drivers "Servicing Their tractors" I did enough work on My "REAL" 1979 White RoadBoss II to keep the @$% thing on the road making Me $$$$$ to keep My Wife & Son in groceries & a roof over their head. And around the Midwest a 903 Cummins with 1700 rpm torque peak & governed to 2600 can perform rather well at 80,000# with six speeds. Company I drove for had a 4-5 man shop and had over 60 trucks on the road for a while running about 15 midwestern states. And that doesn't include driving for UPS for a year, and a couple construction companies, and County Road Dept. and several other driving jobs I've forgot.

I don't know where You get off making fun of My driving experience.... But if You want to pour the extra fuel into a Detroit and ALL the oil and put up with the noise more power to You...... I know I wasn't NEAR as tired after 500 miles listening to a 903 or 350 Cummins as I was to those danged little Silver 92's in a Binder.... The 8V-92TTA the company had was the WORST..... It would run.... and also only got 3-1/2 mpg..... Try THAT on for size with today's $2.50/GAL fuel. When "Mr. Goodwrench" turned it down to 375 Hp from 420 it finally got over 4 mpg.

I've heard the story about JD and the 60-series Detroits before. Be honest, I really don't believe it...... If it was true then why doesn't JD OWN Detroit now? Any other company stupid enough to do a joint business venture with JD has ended up out of business and JD gets the business by default..... Funny how that always works. <_<

I haven't spent much time with a Detroit, but I know I'd have rather had my neighbors Fleetstar with the Detroit than ours with the POS Triple Trouble Cummins............It was a good truck until we took out the 549 Gasser and Ruined it by putting that turd in.

I like their S-Series the best with the DT-466 though ;)

The Cummins and Cats are OK but nothing sounds better than a old 2 cycle Detroit.The old 318's ruled the hiways back in the 60's and 70's.I sure miss not hearing them now.

Cliff,can you put a picture of your CO 4070 on here?I'm thinking of getting one.

i drove a 318 thousands of miles in the late 70's and i didnt ever rule anyone. the 325hp 1693 cats would walk over it any way they wanted.

I have to agree those 1693 would rock and roll and they were ticket getters. B) And somebody brought up 903's they were junk no lugging abilty always had to keep them wound up and they drank fuel thats reason why cummins only started using them for marine use mainly.

cap. John Deere put the torque in the

60 series Detroit.

-have a JD cap, doesn't seem to fit :D .

Don't know who put the torque in it, but it's a goodin'!!!!

IH RD

I just wanted to say thanks for all the opinions and facts you guys shared. :) Not sure what I'll do for my next truck, but I have a while to decide. I have to finish my IH TD9 first. That'll take me a long while :wacko: .

Skywalker