Hello, I have a 1086 that always has smoked a lot even on light duties such as pulling a wheel rake, but now seems to smoke even more. The air filters are clean but today I looked at it and the rubber hoses from the turbo to the intake are caked w/ dirt so i am guessing that the seals are leaking in the turbo. Does anyone know what the boost pressures should be for this tractor? Can i just screw a gauge into the intake to check it? busy planting or trying to plant corn so this will have to wait a week or two, but was just looking for opinions. It seems to be a bit underpowered as well. Thanks for your suggestions, Rob

As for your boost spec. I don't know. But if you have that much dirt in the intake, well I hate to tell you but I can bet my farm that the rings, and the cylinder sleeves are JUNK! :blink: I'm sure that is why your under power, and smoking. How much blow-by do you have?

Jason

The way I read his question was that dirt was collecting on the outside of the hoses which indicates an oil leak from the turbo. I would pull the intake hose off to air cleaner and take a peek at the turbo impleller. If it has any more than a bit of end play be careful. They will have quite a bit of radial play as the shaft is not tight in the bushing but it should definetely not have enough play for impeller to touch the housing or should not have damaged blades. They can go in a minute and make a bad mess. I would also have the cam shaft lift checked when you are repairing it. Everyone checks out injection nozzles when actually they are seldom a major contributor to power problems. Far as boost pressure, that is dependent on how much load on engine. At full rated hp you should see like 14 psi, more or less on intake. I haven't read pressures for a long time and did not consult the manual but that figure seems to register in my memory but if hp is down then naturally pressue will be down and vis versa, if over powered pressure will be higher.

Thanks. The dirt is colecting on the outside of the hoses not inside. we've put about 3000 hrs on the tractor since we got it and I have never checked the valve lash. I have helped a few neighbors where a pushrod got damaged and caused a miss so that definitely is something to check. It does have some blowby, but i n 100 hr of light use(mostly feed wagon) it will maybe end up at low end of full on stick. I'll get at it sometime in early june and will post an update. Thanks, Rob

Pull the pipe from the turbo to the intake manifold.

If there is an oily film on the inside of the pipe, then engine oil is getting past the intake seals of the turbo.

If the seals go out, all the way, this will pump engine oil into the intake manifold.

The engine will run on engine oil, and very well.

The engine will then run away.

It will go up to 5-10,000 rpm, depending on the amount of oil feeding it, and you cannot stop it.

It will run that way until the oil is gone and the engine blows up.

This will get your immediate attention.

You then have junk.

I suspect the inside of the intake pipe will have engine oil in it.

The oil is weeping by the hose connections and gathering dirt.

Of course if there is dirt inside the pipe, you have an issue in the air cleaner or with the hose leading to the turbo.

That needs to be found and fixed.

Only use the correct turbo for that particular application if it needs replacing.

Some people feel that any turbo will work, on any engine, if you can get it bolted on.

Far from the truth.

The engine will suffer with the wrong turbo.

I have personally seen a 1256 smoke blue at idle.

It pulled like a beast and was clean at full power.

The issue was the turbo was leaking engine oil into the exhaust.

Under full power it burnt the oil well.

At idle, the exhaust temps dropped and the oil would then make blue smoke.

Good luck with the project and let us know what you find.

Thanks. The dirt is colecting on the outside of the hoses not inside. we've put about 3000 hrs on the tractor since we got it and I have never checked the valve lash. I have helped a few neighbors where a pushrod got damaged and caused a miss so that definitely is something to check. It does have some blowby, but i n 100 hr of light use(mostly feed wagon) it will maybe end up at low end of full on stick. I'll get at it sometime in early june and will post an update. Thanks, Rob

Sorry I thought that it was collecting on the inside. Guess I didn't read it right! Yes I would check the valve settings.

Jason

Archived