Cotton Picker Coded Tractor

BOOMER LANDT

Getting back to my suffix thread that didn't go anywhere I thought I'd try again :rolleyes: . The Super M-TA I was looking at had a G code for high drum cotton picker . What makes it any different from a regular tractor ? There are 2 cotton picker codes either high drum or low drum . What is the difference between them ? Anybody got any pictures by chance ? Thanks B) .

The factory ordered high drum cotton picker tractor came with flange type rear axle housings and a gear shift lever that bolted on to the gear shift stub so different gear shift could be mounted to reach the operators platform. Some but not all were painted silver under the hood and some of the later tractors, but not all, had a remote starter solonoid. The bull gears and tall single front wheel were not part of the tractor but were part of the cotton picker when ordered.

The factory low drum cotton picker tractor was equipped with a reversable transmission top. The gearshift mounting was three bolts with a hole on each side. The extra reverse forks were shipped with the tractor. Some of these tractors, but not all, also were painted silver under the hood and had a starter solonoid.

Note, the flange type rear axle housings of the high drum tractor, and the reversable transmission top of the low drum tractor, could also be installed in the field to any regular Farmall M thru 560 making it a "cotton picker" tractor.

In the 1940's for a while the H could also be equipped for a high drum picker but they were underpowered so soon only low drum pickers were available for the H, so it would be very unusual to find a H with flange type rear axle housings today.

A parts book will show you the flange housings, reversable tops, and bull gears.

Harold H

Getting back to my suffix thread that didn't go anywhere I thought I'd try again :rolleyes: . The Super M-TA I was looking at had a G code for high drum cotton picker . What makes it any different from a regular tractor ? There are 2 cotton picker codes either high drum or low drum . What is the difference between them ? Anybody got any pictures by chance ? Thanks B) .

Drophousing002-1.jpg

Gear drive high drum drop boxes

Drophousing001-1.jpg

Chain drive high clearance SMTAV

The low drum rear frame cover looks similar to the dual shifter hole lids on 400, 450, 560. The low drum CPs don't have drop boxes.

Here are a couple of cotton picker photos I had posted sometime back----Harold H has pretty well described the set up.

(and-------I had never realized that some of the later models had the underside of the hood painter silver---------presume that was to reflect some of the engine heat away from the basket to help prevent basket fires???)

post-1200-0-53447800-1299250934_thumb.jp

post-1200-0-93454000-1299250984_thumb.jp

Give me a ring when you get ready to plant your cotton crop Boomer--------maybe I can find you a plantation to go with the cotton picker!!!! ;)

Delta Dirt

Avon, Ms 38723

Harold H and Wardner, thanks for the explanation and parts manual diagrams. I was aware of the difference between the gear drive cotton picker drops and the chain drive high-crop drops, but I did not know that the drops were a part of the cotton picker package, always thought the tractor came with them.

Thanks everybody !!! It makes sense now :D .

I did not buy the tractor because it looked like it had a lot of regular M parts on it <_< . Looks like they converted it back to a regular tractor.

So with the gears in the drop box did it have 5 forward & 1 reverse (even though tractor was backwards) ?

Yes, with the bull gears the tractor still had 5 speeds forward and 1 speed reverse. The bull gears just changed the direction. With the cotton picker mounted the drive wheels were then the front wheels and the single wheel was now the rear wheel.

Harold H

Thanks everybody !!! It makes sense now :D .

I did not buy the tractor because it looked like it had a lot of regular M parts on it <_< . Looks like they converted it back to a regular tractor.

So with the gears in the drop box did it have 5 forward & 1 reverse (even though tractor was backwards) ?

Archived