Penny Logic

New Englander

This is one of the problems with our country, almost no one can even wrap your mind around the kind of numbers the govt throws around. I couldn't until I started looking two years ago. Some of the newly elected reps now say they can cut something like 3 trillion out of the budget, not sure which ones and exact story, I just caught a little of the story this morning. Now you are talking something more than chump change, and "acting" like you want to do something. The time has arived to step up and fix what is going on, many people will scream and cry, and it could be really rough on all of us for a while, but kicking the can down the road is no longer an option. Several states will be asking for a bailout some, and the answer MUST be no, cut your spending to whatever it takes. People need to prepair for tough times like grandma and grandpa used to do. Living on a farm puts you in a good position to make it through tough times, Can't raise any chickens where I live, but rabbits are considered "pets".

Wonder why our esteemed Commander in Chief doesn't start by slashing his own salary? He makes $400,000 a year. Cut that to $50,000 and that will save $700,000 over the next two years. Next, call every reporter in Washington in for a press conference and inform them that you are cutting your own salary by 80%. Then challenge every member of Congress to do the same while on national TV. What choice would they have? They wouldn't even have to cut it that much. Just cutting it to $50,000 a year for all 535 members of Congress, the President, and the VP will save, if I've figured correctly, $118,700,000 over the next two years. 120 million bucks, just like that. And that isn't touching a dime of their expense accounts.

RED211, I don't think times would even have to get tough to get back in the black. Just give me a good sharp pencil and let me carve on Uncle Sam's budget awhile. They might have to assign me a couple of Secret Service agents after I get through ruining everyone's gravy train but it could be done. This all starts at home though, in your own cities and counties. Take my county for example; back before my time, apparently everybody got the big idea that every little pig path and wagon trail needed asphalt slapped on it. Great idea, right? Yeah, not really. Nobody thought about the fact that it cost a beaucoup more to maintain and re-pave asphalt highways than it does to run a roadgrader over gravel ones and haul a few loads of rock a year. Now everybody raises he!! seven ways from Sunday because the roads are rough as a cob. And guess what? We don't have the money to pave them because we don't have the tax base we had 20 years ago since all the factories shut down and and our fearless leaders have done everything in their power to ensure that no more come. We finally got a chicken hatchery that's coming on line soon (and after many meetings and complainings, can't have that pesky industry in our nice quiet ghost town, after all). Not long ago I caught our county road crew grading and gravelling a dead end lane that has no houses on it. A friend saw them working on a private driveway. It's like beating my head against the wall. Fiscal rant over... for the moment.

A $100 job will always cost the government $1000 as long as they have people behind a desk for every person actually doing the work, making sure the one doing the work is being as safe as possible, not hurting the environment, not disturbing his neighbor,not working to hard or long without adequate breaks etc. etc. etc. Never mind the fact that the one making the rules has never done any of this work and thus has absolutely no idea how to prevent any of those things and has no concept of what it's really like to be the one working.

Wonder why our esteemed Commander in Chief doesn't start by slashing his own salary? He makes $400,000 a year. Cut that to $50,000 and that will save $700,000 over the next two years. Next, call every reporter in Washington in for a press conference and inform them that you are cutting your own salary by 80%. Then challenge every member of Congress to do the same while on national TV. What choice would they have? They wouldn't even have to cut it that much. Just cutting it to $50,000 a year for all 535 members of Congress, the President, and the VP will save, if I've figured correctly, $118,700,000 over the next two years. 120 million bucks, just like that. And that isn't touching a dime of their expense accounts.

Actually most presidents wind up losing money while in office. I have no problem with him making 400K. He is responsible for making decisions that affect 300+ million people. Now start looking at cutting staff positions tah are not really needed for congress and senate, then you will see real savings.

RED211, I don't think times would even have to get tough to get back in the black. Just give me a good sharp pencil and let me carve on Uncle Sam's budget awhile. They might have to assign me a couple of Secret Service agents after I get through ruining everyone's gravy train but it could be done. This all starts at home though, in your own cities and counties. Take my county for example; back before my time, apparently everybody got the big idea that every little pig path and wagon trail needed asphalt slapped on it. Great idea, right? Yeah, not really. Nobody thought about the fact that it cost a beaucoup more to maintain and re-pave asphalt highways than it does to run a roadgrader over gravel ones and haul a few loads of rock a year. Now everybody raises he!! seven ways from Sunday because the roads are rough as a cob. And guess what? We don't have the money to pave them because we don't have the tax base we had 20 years ago since all the factories shut down and and our fearless leaders have done everything in their power to ensure that no more come. We finally got a chicken hatchery that's coming on line soon (and after many meetings and complainings, can't have that pesky industry in our nice quiet ghost town, after all). Not long ago I caught our county road crew grading and gravelling a dead end lane that has no houses on it. A friend saw them working on a private driveway. It's like beating my head against the wall. Fiscal rant over... for the moment.

Actually blacktop is cheaper over say 20 years than gravel. The big problem is initial cost. As far as industery goes the EPA and OSHA have done more to drive jobs overseas than anything else except the unions. And outsourcing jobs and production has been going one for more than a 100 years.

A $100 job will always cost the government $1000 as long as they have people behind a desk for every person actually doing the work, making sure the one doing the work is being as safe as possible, not hurting the environment, not disturbing his neighbor,not working to hard or long without adequate breaks etc. etc. etc. Never mind the fact that the one making the rules has never done any of this work and thus has absolutely no idea how to prevent any of those things and has no concept of what it's really like to be the one working.

That's pretty true. Many politicians/employees from town dog catcher up have used their positions to create jobs for their family and friends. But some things come because of contractor fraud. Other hidden cost are there too. Remember the famous 119 dollar hammer? Ever wonder how they got away with that? Many years ago when manufacturing was done a lot by hand, example, each hammer handle was turned by a wood worker, the government came up with specifications. For the claw hammer it was 27 pages. Contracts called for each and every hammer to be measured and weighed to meet contract requirements. As production was modernized and machines took over the companies were still required to measure and test each hammer. Even though they could test one hammer out of 100 just to make sure the equipment hadn't failed.

While serving in the Army my tank crew and I lost a 6 cent allen wrench (that was issued but didn't fit anything on the tank) during a field training exercise. Our supply sergeant had to fill out forms, 6 pages, and have me sign them to send to finance so they could take 6 cents out of my pay. It also required him to have me sign each page, the battalion commanders (Bn Cmd) John Hancock on each page and then carried to finance. I thought that was pretty dumb so to make a point I demanded a report of survey (investigation) into the loss of the item. So they assigned a young officer to investigate. When he was done he concluded that while no one was sure of who ot how the allen wrench was lost that I, as the tank commander was responsible. I knew that would happen. Because it was now an investigation I had to see the Bn Cmd and sign off on the report. He ask me why I had demanded the repoert of survey. I explained to him that 1. made no sense to issue a tool that didn't fit anything, 2. that the Army was wasting a lot of money to collect 6 cents even had I just signed the original papaer work, 3. that tools were going to get lost in the field with breakdowns and so on. There is a lot of waste!

Rick

"As far as industery goes the EPA and OSHA have done more to drive jobs overseas than anything else except the unions. And outsourcing jobs and production has been going one for more than a 100 years."

Amen to that, 90% of what they come up with is not only ineffective, but terribly expensive and time consuming.

Congress should be made subject to all the stupid legislation they force down the rest of the country's throat.I'm a govt' employee and back in the 80's,not long after Reagan{without question,our greatest President}took office they froze Civil service pay for 2 years.However,that was renewed every year so in effect our pay was frozen for 10 years,this was for Federal blue collar workers,ie wrench turners,not General Schedule folks ie management.Not long after they did this Congress voted themselves a 25% pay hike.The Natiional Health Care Reform Act is another example,their health care{for which they don't pay a dime} is not subject to it.If you remember back a few years,some got caught writing bad checks on their expense accounts,evidently they forgot to deposit some of the taxpayers money into their expense accounts and they bounced some checks.My question once again is who and what laws gave them this authority to begin with?Of course I can answer my own question with the way the health care was passed,behind closed doors and secret before the public knows what's in the bill.This nation is in deep trouble for allowing this to go on,and the piper is on the horizon.

it is easy to solve if you do not have it do not spend it !!!!! as far as cut backs we should let them cut some funding and then we should not complain about it we will just deal with it and go from there

Actually blacktop is cheaper over say 20 years than gravel. The big problem is initial cost. As far as industery goes the EPA and OSHA have done more to drive jobs overseas than anything else except the unions. And outsourcing jobs and production has been going one for more than a 100 years.

Rick

The township where I grew up did a cost analysis and came up with the exact same figures-blacktop over a 20 year lifespan is cheaper than gravel.

The key to it all is to have a constantly cycling rate of replacement, and budget the money that used to go for grader purchase, operation, upkeep and repairs along with gravel and delivery into the paving fund.

Archived