Just wouldn't be able to do this job!

striker782

I climbed a power cable tower that holds some main power over the Ohio river just north of where it joins the Mississippi. Not sure how tall it was but the concrete footers were over 10 feet out of the grond. Someone left a 10 ft ladder there and we put it in the back of a truck to get on the concrete to start the climb. I would have never done it but the ladder was enclosed with a cage all the way up. I was third in line till about half way when the two in front wanted down. I made them get over and passed em. They did come on up after that, the top had a pretty good size platform with a good rail so it wasn't too bad. Could see a long way into Ill, Mo, and Ky. We were on the Ky side. Without a cage I wouldn't have made it past the footers! I'm still pulling the underware out of my crack just watching that.

i got as far as where he had to climb around the joint and go up the legs sticking out of the tower. i presume he was successful. couldn't prove it by me.

I can't imagine doing that by any stretch.

This is scary too - setting tile 1500' up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThtZ9jGy-H8

I must be the odd one here... i live for situations like that at work. While i have never climbed that high, or even close to that high, i would attempt it.

I must be the odd one here... i live for situations like that at work. While i have never climbed that high, or even close to that high, i would attempt it.

When I was younger hights didn't bother me.....don't know why it's different now?????

Rick

Where I used to work we did some maintenance on cell towers. Mostly changing light bulbs. highest I was up was 454 feet. nice view from up there. Was inside a cage most of the climb with a safety strap til the rai it slid in stopped about 40 feet from the top . then at the very top had to climb outside the cage the last few feet with no safety and change the bulbs.

Also had to fix a bracket one time , went out on a bar 7 feet or so off the side off the tower at 330 feet high and changed this bracket while another guy wearing the safety belt held onto my belt buckle . that was fun.

This was all in the early 90`s . Don`t know if i`d do it tomorrow or not ? Definitley not for the money i did it for back then !

When I was younger hights didn't bother me.....don't know why it's different now?????

Rick

Same here.

I do believe it's because as you get older, your "survival brain" begins to have more sway than your "gotta be the hero" brain.

You never hear about 65 year old guys charging machine gun nests in battle, and the officers are always older......:blink:

Merton: I guess it just Depends.

Climbing down and around the joints would do me in, the climb to the top wouldn't get me near as bad as going down.

Truth be told 99% out of a 100 would clamp up half way if that and have to be rescued.

I hope they make GREAT money!

Holy Moly. No way Ho Say. I just don't think I could do that. But then, why am I, and many others, perfectly willing to go up in a plane up to say 29,000 to 30,000 feet? Is there a difference? :P Maybe yes, maybe no. :blink:

Rick G.

I guess I'm an idiot, I would sign up for that job tomorrow as long as they would allow me to base jump with a parachute to get down. The tile laying job would be simple and I wouldn't have any reservations at all for it except maybe working around all those other guys. I'd rather hire my own crew to work with.

I'm just glad somebody's willing to do it. Just real glad it doesn't have to be me.

Of course, lots of folks wouldn't be willing to stand knee-deep in poop, or stick their arm up a cow's butt, or lots of other stuff that lots of us do or have done. Takes all kinds, eh?

Archived