diesel puller

Farmallgray

I know some guys were following my diesel build on the registry. I'm ready for its first pull tomorrow.

Here are some pics;

post-3968-128301331211_thumb.jpg

post-3968-128301332718_thumb.jpg

looking good Todd. Where's the pull at?

It was at Grange Fair in Centre Hall. I made 4 runs and broke something in the rearend on the last one. I'm guessing it

probably broke the bottom shaft/pinion.

I'll try to post some videos on youtube later in the week. I'm pretty happy with the way it ran but I

definitely have a few bugs to work out and some adjustments to make. Needs more water, probably more timing

and some gears between 2nd and 3rd.

1806? With the turbo, it might be closer to a 1206.. Did you have the factory pinion shaft and ring gear in it? There are aftermarket parts out now that are said to last much longer. The pictures look good, now bring on the videos!

The plan is to paint it red and make it look like a 3688 or 5088. That is why there is no grille. The stock grille won't fit with the electric fan and I didn't have time to make a custom one yet.

I'm running a stock ring & pinion from an aluminum rear. I have a spare so I'll try another one. When it breaks I'll use one from a CI rear and see if it will live a while. I'm also looking into the HD reverse cut set that Super Cub sells, but I have heard some bad things about them. I may end up going with outboard planetaries. That would end any future rearend troubles.

Finally had some time to download some photos and videos of my first pull. I haven't looked at the rearend to see what broke yet but I'm guessing it was the pinion.

First run wih 16 tooth second;

http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray?feature=mhum#p/a/u/2/oMtphC_xgpQ

Lot enough load on engine.

2nd run the track was still dry so I jumped to the 26 tooth 3rd gear.

It ran pretty good but didn't caught on video.

3rd run after they watered the track-way more bite!

http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray?feature=mhum#p/a/u/1/rrdOLgKb0c8

4th run dropped back to second. Still not enough load on the engine. I had turned up the pressure on the water pump. Since it was going in and out of boost, I assume the water is causing it to miss. Then something broke in the rear.

http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/IHeS8EBNE1M

Definetly have some work to do, but now I know what direction to go on some things. Needs more water for sure. Hit 1800 on the one run.

Needs about 22 to 24 tooth gears with the power its making now.

post-3968-128356538634_thumb.jpg

post-3968-128356539675_thumb.jpg

post-3968-128356540685_thumb.jpg

Todd,

The last time I saw something like that it was in a 67 Chevy pickup truck. There was beer (many beers), a challenge and a lot of rubber left on the road before it expired, lol.

When I got home my father kicked me in the *ss on every step I took up the stairs to my bedroom!

-Ray

Todd

Just checked out the vid's way cool! Im guessing that was your wife says this dosnt sound good, BANG!

What Id like to know is how dose the water preasure affect the turbo? I would think its fuel that affects the turbo? Im just going back to the days on the mechanical trucks and for show everyone would turn their pumps up to blow black smoke, unburnt fuel, out the exaust.

Todd it looks awesome!! I wish you lived close by, it would be fun to help you get that thing tuned up. How much boost does it make? I think I would put more fuel to it and see what the temps do. You need to find something to drag around so you can get it running right, I hook to the front end loader and drag it around.

Vince,

The water pressure doesn't really affect the turbo. More fuel makes more heat so the water is sprayed in to cool it down. The water nozzles will flow more when the pressure is turned up. In the last pull I wan't giving it full throttle because I didn't wan't to over rev the engine since 2nd

gear is too slow. It was getting enough boost to turn the water on, but it wasn't loaded enough for the amount of water it was getting, so the water was kind of drowning out the fire, so to speak.

Peder,

I got 28 pounds of boost on the best run. I have the fuel tuned up as far as I can. The governor stop screw isn't doing anything-it is backed completely out. It is getting all the fuel that the stock pump will put out.

I did try dragging my loader tractor around but I couldn't get enough bite to put any load on the engine.

I was putting about 240cc of water in it. I talked to another guy who runs one and he said I need more. I put the third nozzle in last night which should give me 360cc. All three nozzles are squirting right into the intake ports now. If it still is too hot, I'll try advancing the timing.

I have lots of other things to try.

• 2 weeks later...

TODD - I saw a little tech feature on an Allis D-21 pulling tractor several weeks ago on NTPA Pulling on RFD-TV. It was pretty interesting. The tractor was a Super Stock if I remember right, three turbo's. There were water injectors between every turbo, and then six more aimed right into the intake ports in the head in the intake manifold. Guy who built the engine said he burned a gallon of #2 diesel and TEN gallons of water on every pull.

• 4 weeks later...

Todd,

I have thought about buliding one, but no one can tell me what turbo to use; how big, how many cfm's? What did you use? What's it off of?

The little diesel's aren't popular here yet, so no one has any experience with modifing them and I thought I would give it a shot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have two 30 CID alcohol modified Pulling tractors. One has a diff and axles out of a Dodge Dart (I didn't put this one in), and the other has the diff and axles out of a Chevette. I made new bearing housings and a spacer ring for the Cub Cadet ring gear and bolted it in. Then put 1" needle bearings in the axle housing and ground the axles to size. Both setups have held up well with no probs and the one I did wasn't that hard to tackle. BTW both these are in the old cast housings.

It was a fun project and it made the rear end a lot stronger.

Your tractor looks awesome, cheers

I have a 4 cyl Kubota I want to do something with but haven't decided what yet

Glenn

• 1 month later...

What engine are you using in the diesel? Turbo size? RPM's?

• 1 month later...

some food for thought on the rear end problem use a 70's something dodge dart carrior and the cub ring gear with grade 12 bolts holds up great i did it in my cub rear end you have to machine out for the new bearing races and make new hubs with the dodge dart axels

• 3 years later...

Archived