never have seen a 50 series like this

striker782

I can't remember where but I did read that the 5x88 series really had Deere worried.The economy took care of things for them.4850's are proven tough tractors but they're fuel pigs.

From what I have been seeing online, a MFD 5488 seem to bring as much or more than a 4850 as of lately, was not always the case but as of lately it is. I would have loved a 5488 MFD, but when they are priced the same as a Magnum I am not going with an 88. Also, not sure on auction prices as a tool to wager how farmers thought about iron. For example, a early 5088 brought the same as a 4240 in similar condition last Saturday, and a 3688 that was pretty nice brought more than either. Not sure what that points to, but as of lately red iron here seems pretty hot

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't remember where but I did read that the 5x88 series really had Deere worried.The economy took care of things for them.4850's are proven tough tractors but they're fuel pigs.

From what I have been seeing online, a MFD 5488 seem to bring as much or more than a 4850 as of lately, was not always the case but as of lately it is. I would have loved a 5488 MFD, but when they are priced the same as a Magnum I am not going with an 88. Also, not sure on auction prices as a tool to wager how farmers thought about iron. For example, a early 5088 brought the same as a 4240 in similar condition last Saturday, and a 3688 that was pretty nice brought more than either. Not sure what that points to, but as of lately red iron here seems pretty hot

5088 should be compared to a 4250, not a 4240. Even so I'm surprised it was even close.

5088 should be compared to a 4250, not a 4240. Even so I'm surprised it was even close.

966 was within a few grand of both of them........from what I have seen lately, the rolls have completely reversed from when I was younger with IH being the Cheap power.

That's odd. Recently I saw three 966s sell. The highest one brought $6000. I saw a real nice 1586 with all options and good, wide rubber sell for $5,500. Nobody wants them in the lower mid-atlantic. And I agree.

That's odd. Recently I saw three 966s sell. The highest one brought $6000. I saw a real nice 1586 with all options and good, wide rubber sell for $5,500. Nobody wants them in the lower mid-atlantic. And I agree.

Where was this at? My brother has been looking for a 86 in the price range.

Virginia Veg: I used to own a 1086 and by brother in law owned a 4440. Equivalent HP tractors. I have driven both of them enough to offer this opinion. My opinion is that both of them were a POS, The 1086 gear shifts in your road in getting into the cab, and their lousily designed TA and throttle levers never ceased to annoy me. The 4440 with that da** vertical bar in the windshield and big muffler in front of you coupled with a Quad Range transmission that was a mean sob to shift also never ceased to annoy me. When you compare both of them to my MX120 they were both crappy tractors to drive. Frankly, I am glad to see both of them gone. The MX120 will stay on the farm as long as I am farming.

Kinda feel the same. I like IH but the Mag-88 were too late by 10 years. I know the Magnums were IH and Case just did the CDC engine and hood. But 86 are not the nicest to operate, my 5088 was dang unreliable (electrical/hydraulic issues), the 1066 is a 'fun' tractor to use...for a few hours. But 12 hour days on her would be tough on a guy. I will concur sale prices I have followed a bit sure appear to be tilting to IH of late. I would dare bet fuel econ is being factored in. Even my FIL who bleeds green will tell you his 4450 is ridiculous on fuel use. IH made good simple products. Never really earth moving designs after letter ones. FWIW They all break and cost money, pick your poison.[or color] ;-)

Question John Deere guys, is a 4440 not rated 145 HP? If so then they need to be compared to a 1486 not a 10. And when did the John Deere 50 series come out, 82 or 83, then the 5088 could be compared to a 4250 or 4240. We all have our own opinions and such. I personally love all my Internationals and have had very few repairs. Never cared for the green ones didn`t really like anything about them. Doesn`t mean I try to force my opinion on anyone. Sometimes I think it is some of the people who own certain colors that makes us despise another brand. They do all work and all have good and bad points.

Virginia Veg: I used to own a 1086 and by brother in law owned a 4440. Equivalent HP tractors. I have driven both of them enough to offer this opinion. My opinion is that both of them were a POS, The 1086 gear shifts in your road in getting into the cab, and their lousily designed TA and throttle levers never ceased to annoy me. The 4440 with that da** vertical bar in the windshield and big muffler in front of you coupled with a Quad Range transmission that was a mean sob to shift also never ceased to annoy me. When you compare both of them to my MX120 they were both crappy tractors to drive. Frankly, I am glad to see both of them gone. The MX120 will stay on the farm as long as I am farming.

George, I have another MX120 for you, complete with MFD, cab and L300 loader. It needs a new home in a bad way.

Question John Deere guys, is a 4440 not rated 145 HP? If so then they need to be compared to a 1486 not a 10. And when did the John Deere 50 series come out, 82 or 83, then the 5088 could be compared to a 4250 or 4240. We all have our own opinions and such. I personally love all my Internationals and have had very few repairs. Never cared for the green ones didn`t really like anything about them. Doesn`t mean I try to force my opinion on anyone. Sometimes I think it is some of the people who own certain colors that makes us despise another brand. They do all work and all have good and bad points.

Deere 4440 was rated at 130 hp and was built from 1978 until summer of 1982. I think 1086s ran from 1976 until sometime in 1981. It was the closest comparison I could think of.

Deere 4440 was rated at 130 hp and was built from 1978 until summer of 1982. I think 1086s ran from 1976 until sometime in 1981. It was the closest comparison I could think of.

Thanks, I really thought a 44 was rated higher.

Where was this at? My brother has been looking for a 86 in the price range.

This would be the case at any sale in the Carolinas, Florida, Georgia, the mid-south Delta, or Virginia. Auctions by: E.B. Harris, Rich and Rich, Weeks, Godley, Roger Miller, Peoples, DeMott, Stovesand, pretty much all of them.

I do agree sometimes ihs are the cheap horsepower but it all depends on what the collector at the sale wants. If they want it and are dead set on it, it might bring big money or it may not. Remember dad telling me you used to be able to buy a 1468 for $1500-3500 about 25 years ago and now they are $20,000+

Virginia Veg: My MX120 is a 2wd with bar axles and only 1700 hours on it. It is mainly used on a planter and works well for that application. I also use it for hauling wagons and plan to use it on a snowblower next winter. As far as a MX120 MFD with loader goes the ones around here all have over 10000 hours on them and are beat up a fair bit. As a matter of principle, and if I needed a heavy duty loader tractor, a MX120 MFD would not be my choice. I would go straight to an industrial wheel loader from Cat, JD, or Case. They are built strong and are designed for heavy duty manure, earth, or gravel loading and a lot of used ones are available at reasonable prices, especially former municipal units that get auctioned off. Most of the feedlots in my area use them for moving silage, manure, etc and are happy with their performance.

I think we kinda lost track of the topic it's about the IH magnum and who made it!! Not about john deere vs IH!! Come on guys! They all brake!!everyone owns tools and buys parts!

Thanks

I guess the point i was trying to make was i never thought ih was behind on tractors. Not saying everything they did was perfect.....that was the most extreme example i could think of..... just because people will pay more for a deere doesnt mean its better.

So obviously this 5488 is the only we know of like this? Interesting that the final built 5488 was not this way. Suprises me that a new model was shipped and sold that was so different than the ones on the line.

So not to take this off topic again, but does anyone recall seeing this TX184 3688? I found some of these pictures online of it today but I remember seeing it on TractorHouse several years ago.

post-57245-0-87105000-1396014513_thumb.j

post-57245-0-15752000-1396014534_thumb.j

post-57245-0-61998900-1396014651_thumb.j

post-57245-0-21731200-1396014665_thumb.j

post-57245-0-02759700-1396014682_thumb.j

That 3688 is a good point too that also isn't in the Red Tractor Book! It shows ih was working on controls similar to the magnum. There is just no IH didn't have the magnum almost ready before the dreaded Case took over!

• 1 year later...

EASON - I agree, anyone who's looked at a 71XX Magnum and compared it to a 5X88 FARMALL and doesn't see the obvious ancestory of the Magnum is legally BLIND.

Case/IH obviously made some improvements, IH was really strapped for cash and couldn't fix everything.

Thanks Dr for your neat ( and humorous ) knowledge input

Archived