never have seen a 50 series like this

striker782

Here's some more of the "rest of the story".....this tractor was out on field test in N. IL. in 1983. During the Rockford, IL Farm show in the late fall of 1983, one of IH's district reps was confronted by an IH dealer salesman about the new 1-door cab that was "in the works" and that he had seen. This (I beleive) was this tractor being discussed here.

A number of terse memos were sent to the IH "brass" whose offices were on the 18th floor about this new cab design. The basic message was WHY???? After having a 2-door cab for years would IH want to go "backwards" to a 1-door cab?? Marketing would be serving up "crow pie" by the slice to customers to try and explain this.

At the time, IH had atleast 3 new cabs in the works. The 84 series were planed to have the new C-85 cab with 2 doors mounted on the "B" post (suicide opening doors...just like a MAGNUM for the younger crowd here). The 30 and 50 series were to have the same basic "A" post mounted 2-door cab for the interim (1985-1988?).

The first generation "new FARMALL" tractor under development (powershift transmission) was slated to have the new C-88 cab with ONE DOOR mounted on the "B" post and it was planned to be released in August of 1986. The second generation "new FARMALL" (TX-4888) was also to have the new 1-door cab AND the 1 handle T bar shifter control. This tractor was NOT A POWERSHIFT, it was much better....HYDRO-MECHANICAL transmission (think PUMA/MAGNUM CVT for a reference point)

Something that may not be known to many is that the next generation J.I. CASE tractor that was being worked on in Racine was going to have a 2-door cab like IH and A-C have. The doors would be "B" post mounted. The new CASE tractor was going to be CDC (Cummins) engine only with an improved powershift transmission too. The old 504 engine was being put out to pasture. This tractor was planned for 1985-86 year release. Of course with Tenneco "gifting" the IH plans, the "new" CASE design was quickly dumpstered.

And now you know (part of) the rest of the story.....there may be a more indepth article on this and the other IH "tractors of the future" in a forthcoming issue of RED POWER Magazine.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use the right hand door quite often on the 986, and I wouldn't have an open tractor without steps on the right either. Why walk all the way around when you can just climb in, y'know? Makes a lot of difference choring (to me anyway).

That said, the "need" for sales to have a two door cab led to some clumsy layouts in the cab. Another reason marketing people ought to concentrate on out how to sell what engineering builds, rather than meddle with engineering.

I use the right hand door quite often on the 986, and I wouldn't have an open tractor without steps on the right either. Why walk all the way around when you can just climb in, y'know? Makes a lot of difference choring (to me anyway).

That said, the "need" for sales to have a two door cab led to some clumsy layouts in the cab. Another reason marketing people ought to concentrate on out how to sell what engineering builds, rather than meddle with engineering.

Yes an 86 series is a little better than a 56 series w/gear shifters & hydraulic levers on the right :P .

And, would the hydro-mechanical have come to market with a suspended cab and body? It's amazing the patents that IH had back then, the diagrams are of a 50 series body style as well. They had it right even though it was probably harder to do then what they do today. Now a days companies that offer suspended cabs have the hinge point right at the front of the cab with the suspension in the back and I haven't ever thought one rode that smooth, still seems choppy because of the short coupling. IH had the hinge point at the nose of the tractor so the hood was suspended with the cab, with the shocks and spring at the back of the cab and the hinge way up front at the noise I bet it was one smooth riding concept!

suspended IH

Not to mention IH's electric cars with regenerative breaking, Gas turbine engines, etc

Quote "is there any pics of the "hydro mechanical" tractor,or where could we learn more on that one? would have been interesting to see how the market would have reacted to that."

There was an article in Redpower magazine 4 or 5 years ago that had pictures and info on this new transmission in a test mule 806. I remember that it had a very unique exhaust on it. It was a very interesting article on a tractor that was way ahead of its time.

Thank you for the right hand view of the tractor, it looks like I will need to put the decal on the right hand side of the cab. Can any of you send me a pm on were this thing is so I could maybe look at it so I can get mine alittle closer to the real deal.

Thanks Guys, Danny

Thank you for the right hand view of the tractor, it looks like I will need to put the decal on the right hand side of the cab. Can any of you send me a pm on were this thing is so I could maybe look at it so I can get mine alittle closer to the real deal.

Thanks Guys, Danny

Danny,

Send a PM to stahlecker He works at the farm where the tractor is.

• 9 months later...

Id like to see more pictures too.

My dad got his 5488 in 85 i think . :wacko: He ran it for a couple yrs. we pulled a 11 tine bushhog chisel plow and a 30ft. intern. field cultivater with it and it would just toy with them . you could pass everthing but a gass pump . Well i think it was the 3rd yr. we had it dad got it out to start chisel plowing and he got about half way down the field and it started blowing white smoke out . He stopped and shut it down we unhooked the chisel and pulled it back to the shop called the dealer and they picked it up . When they got it tore down it had scored 5 pistons and liners . They took the pump apart and found it was putting out 275 hp. It was getting more fuel than it could burn. I don't remember the hrs. it had on it but i know it wasn't very many less than 2000 . What made it bad was the pump seals where missing so there was no way of nowing who messed with it .

• 3 years later...

So how come this tractor didn't make it into the NEW red tractor book!!?? I mean come on guys!

I agree! Today is the first time I have ever seen it. Always knew the Magnum was an IH and that IH was going to upgrade their cab, but that is the coolest thing I`ve ever seen! Can we really not know where it is and some more history? And is it the only one?

I believe the owner wished to stay private as he is afraid he would be bothered by all us "redheads" that would want to see it in person.

I can respect that. If it hauls grain to town I am surprised one of us didn`t spot it over the years.

I believe the owner wished to stay private as he is afraid he would be bothered by all us "redheads" that would want to see it in person.

I can respect that. If it hauls grain to town I am surprised one of us didn`t spot it over the years.

Most farmers even if they are IH guys wouldn't recognize it. All the red tractor owners round here think the magnum was just a re-worked 94 series case painted red

Most farmers even if they are IH guys wouldn't recognize it. All the red tractor owners round here think the magnum was just a re-worked 94 series case painted red

That...and I even have once customer that honestly believes that a red 94 series Case is a Magnum.

Travis

Here is what I think. I think the mothership as they call it still has some animosities against International Harvester and there success that they had! That the Case brand is very much overshadowed by IH and if they said the magnum is almost ALL IH it would hurt the sales of new Case IH tractors someway! So they avoid the clear evidence that all hardcore International Harvester people know that the magnum is a IH tractor but for the hood,engine, and rear wheel centers!!

All I want is too see what the IH magnum would have looked like and where we would be if Tenneco never bought the International agricultural equipment group!! And the truth about everything and why! After all it has only been 10712 days or 29 years 4 months ! So let's see where we would have been in 1986 or 1987! Please!! And thank you!!

Here is what I think. I think the mothership as they call it still has some animosities against International Harvester and there success that they had! That the Case brand is very much overshadowed by IH and if they said the magnum is almost ALL IH it would hurt the sales of new Case IH tractors someway! So they avoid the clear evidence that all hardcore International Harvester people know that the magnum is a IH tractor but for the hood,engine, and rear wheel centers!!

All I want is too see what the IH magnum would have looked like and where we would be if Tenneco never bought the International agricultural equipment group!! And the truth about everything and why! After all it has only been 10712 days or 29 years 4 months ! So let's see where we would have been in 1986 or 1987! Please!! And thank you!!

If Tenneco hadn't of bought them, they wouldn't exist anymore at all. Any animosities between IH and Case are long gone as it is now CNH Global, owned by Fiat.

You would think so then why is this tractor not in the new Red Tractor Book?? And there is no mention of the prototype 5488 with the powershift transmission that got covered with a tarp and hauled to racine that ken Updike mentions in his other book IH tractors 1955-1985 so something just doesn't seem right to me there's more too it!

I know I should just let it go!! But I can't IH tractors and equipment is just to good to just do that! And I want to know what they had coming!

Maybe he just forgot about the thing. After 30 years there couldn't be any great number of customer that would hang on to animosity. IH made fine tractors, but not fine enough to survive. They were behind the times. They needed the Magnum in 1980, not 1986. The 88 series wasn't good enough to overcome their debt and reputation. They goofed up. Even with the release of the Magnums, (Which everyone knows I love) they still would have been a little behind with hydraulics and turn radius. But their transmissions were second to none. Finally. Which is a sharp contrast to the 86 series with T/A, which I would consider one of the worst transmissions EVER for ergonomics and reliability. They killed their own reputation by sticking with the same ol, same ol for too long.

Lee Klancher ( Red Tractor Book ) came to my place and took many pictures of the 5388 , I gave him all the details about its history before Case got there hands on it. For some odd reason he chose not to tell the story, I have the proof that IH had this thing all done and best of all the guys who drove this tractor and watched it being loaded at Hinsdale and taken to Racine for its conversion to the Magnum.

I do have to say Case IH did a very nice job with the Magnum and the final build . Along with promoting and proving it in the field there are not very many people who would say anything bad about those tractors . The thing that bugs me the most is IH not getting the credit for building this tractor.

Danny

Archived