never have seen a 50 series like this

striker782

EASON - I agree, anyone who's looked at a 71XX Magnum and compared it to a 5X88 FARMALL and doesn't see the obvious ancestory of the Magnum is legally BLIND.

Case/IH obviously made some improvements, IH was really strapped for cash and couldn't fix everything.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man this is neat stuff! Now I know the magnum powershift is dang near bullet proof and why would you want anything else, but these pictures make me wonder what it would have been like to have an STS option in the magnum. Talk about a bullet proof tillage tractor! I would think many of the parts for this cab you could order off an early magnum, like the hydraulic levers, pto lever,etc. I would think the STS option would make a more affordable magnum in certain numbers as well. In my opinion the only thing that case put into the magnum is their freakin digital dash. I bet IH already had the tilt hood in the works.

and the idiots over on the bash say we are nuts for saying that the Magnum is IH and not a full fledged Case

Ahem....not all of us are 'idiots' over there. <_<

Travis

and the idiots over on the bash say we are nuts for saying that the Magnum is IH and not a full fledged Case

Ahem....not all of us are 'idiots' over there. <_<

Travis

very true and I'll say sorry to those who are not

SORRY hope this works

Man this is neat stuff! Now I know the magnum powershift is dang near bullet proof and why would you want anything else, but these pictures make me wonder what it would have been like to have an STS option in the magnum. Talk about a bullet proof tillage tractor! I would think many of the parts for this cab you could order off an early magnum, like the hydraulic levers, pto lever,etc. I would think the STS option would make a more affordable magnum in certain numbers as well. In my opinion the only thing that case put into the magnum is their freakin digital dash. I bet IH already had the tilt hood in the works.

What would the STS option have been ? I'm thinking it is the transmission in the super 70's series?

Sid

What would the STS option have been ? I'm thinking it is the transmission in the super 70's series?

Sid

Yes the Super 70's had the STS.

Sid

The transmission in the pictures, and in the whole 50 series is the STS transmission. The 50 series got the STS before the super 70. Synchro-Tri-Six......Low-Med-High with 6 speed gears in each range powershifted by side shifting the speed control lever to the next gear shifting the 2-speed clutch pack. As opposed to the 6x88 2+2's and 3288-3688 Tractors that had the TA transmission set-up to electrically shift the TA when going side to side with the 8 speed control lever while only having a high and low range transmission. The 50 series just didn't have the fancy STS badge on the side of the hood like the super 70's.

I'd love to get a look at the powershift valve & linkage on the tranny of this 50 series, see what IH was up to on that, see how much it resembles a powershift valve of a 7100 Magnum (esp. since I just saw the insides of one here the other day).

By lookin at these pics,I think we all have to agree that if IH would have lived just 5 more years the history of IH would have been very differant. that is if the New Farmalls would have made it to market and they got some head guys gone. Wish my 5088 had that console in it.

By lookin at these pics,I think we all have to agree that if IH would have lived just 5 more years the history of IH would have been very differant. that is if the New Farmalls would have made it to market and they got some head guys gone. Wish my 5088 had that console in it.

Dido :rolleyes:

With trans levers in that spot, I could easily live without powershift! <_< Wonder where 3 point lever is at?

Dido :rolleyes:

With trans levers in that spot, I could easily live without powershift! <_< Wonder where 3 point lever is at?

If you look at the adjustable stop just ahead of the armrest my guess is the 3-point control lever is just behind the arm rest hiding from view

Very interesting find. Like others said too bad there is not a right side picture of the 5488 just to see what the cab looked like.

On the Case vs. IH debate on the Magnum developement I will add that an engineer who worked at J.I Case since the Old Abe days and worked to develope the Magnum told me the Magnum was 90% IH. Case was working to update the 94 series high horse power tractors to the 96 Series with an advanced transmission.

A few years ago I worked with a guy that was with IH for many years and he told me that the 5x88 were suppose to have the full powershift when they were introduced in 81 but IH didnt have the money for R&D to complete the powershift transmission. This is how the STS tranmission came about. He said the transmission was completed but the shifting valve that is on the magnum wasn't refined enough at that time to work properly. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the powershift valve that is on the magnums was developed and made in Japan and shipped into the states. He also said when Tennaco bought IH they didn't have a clue to what they bought. There was another company at that time that was also trying to by IH but I can't remember which one but I do know it was going to leave it alone and let it keep building farm equipment the way it was.

Hey guys, apparantly I posted in the wrong place. I knew there had to be a good IH forum and it looks like I found it. I compleatly forgot about this place and that I had signed up here a while ago with the intent to post this here.

"This 5488 was picked up from the factory in 1985 by the local IH dealer. Which factory I can't remember but heres th interesting thing, It only has one door. I KNOW this is factory, no one has put a magnum cab on it this was all done by the factory.

Basically it looks like it has a Magnum cab, but you can see where the sun has faded the paint on the right side differently and can see where the old door would have been. There is a glass window the fills the whole right side just like a magnum only it has an outward bulge instead of flat glass. The front windsheild supports that are normally on the 88s are gone. The glass is, I guess "caulked" together. The left side door opens out just like a magnum. The left window opens differently than the 88s, the bottom opens first. The rear window has one latch in the middle like a magnum. The controls are placed in a right side console just like a magnum only instead of just one gear shift lever there are two (one for gear and one for range). The gauges are 88 series gauges on in a slightly different placement.

This tractor is the big dog on the farm. It's got over 10,000 hours on it. It was dynoed after the first engine melted down, seriously the cooling system was way over worked, with the original injection pump at 240 horse.

So as near as any of us can figure this was a test mule for the next generation of 88 sereies IH tractors. If anyone has any other information let me know."

A couple more things, Yes it does have a Magnum filler neck on the side but it also has a rear fuel fill also. The side one ends up puking so much fuel you just use the rear filler. The tank is also something like 10 gallons or so smaller than the regular 88s if I remember right. Also the 3 point is in the same spot as the magnum if I remember right. It's been awhile since I've been in the 8950.

I have said ever since I can remember that if IH had this style shifting in all the 88s it would probably still be IH. We haul grain with 2 gravity wagons that totals about 1100-1300bu depending on which wagons are hooked together. With this shift pattern it is easy to shift gears and ranges while pulling the hills. You still have to know what your doing but your not hunched over like in the 5288.

By the way this tractor came in on a truck that also had a CASE tractor with out a seat. It had a computer in it instead. I really don't know much else about that tractor though. But that is what I have heard.

Found a Pic of the right side. Just have to get it uploaded. No it is not my tractor. I help my Best friend and his dad farm when my real job doesn't get in the way, and it is theirs.

Once again uploading pictures are kicking my rear end. So heres the link:

S5000144.jpg

Sure is an awesome sight to see what might have been. Thanks for sharing with us. I do have to ask a favor, could you please get the serial number for me. I am putting together a serial number registry for the 5488. This tractor would be a great addition. You can pm me the info if you don't want to post it. Thanks.

Brandon

WOW I like it!! I have a regular 5488 MFWD and it is so cool to see where IH was headed with there tractors. would love to own that 5488 nice to see that the MAGNUM really is a IH tractor!!! Been looking to see that one for the last 10 years. THANK YOU!!!!!! More pics would be so cool more of the cab and controls and dash. THANKS AGAIN!!!!

Found a Pic of the right side. Just have to get it uploaded. No it is not my tractor. I help my Best friend and his dad farm when my real job doesn't get in the way, and it is theirs.

Once again uploading pictures are kicking my rear end. So heres the link:

S5000144.jpg

I edited your post to make the pic show up. Neat tractor! :)

Can you see what the serial number tag says? I'm guessing it'll say TX-148 and under that the serial number. Will be on the right hand side just in front of the cab on the trans housing. There should also be a cab serial number somewhere. On my TX the cab serial number has a hole drilled right through the number, whomever did it needs shot!!. All you can make out is 50something, the third number is unreadable. There will also probably be some Hinsdale or accounting numbers on several parts. Mine has Z4486 in yellow crayon in several places, and hand stamped in the finals I believe.

Archived