never have seen a 50 series like this

striker782

Saw this on another forum and I never knew any of these were ever sold. First time that I have seen how the controls were laid out as shown in the third picture. Would sure like to know if anyone has any more info. I've worked in a dealership for 30+ years, but this is the first time that I have known about this.

http://www.tractorforum.com/f185/ih-5488-only-1-factory-door-13041/

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UH YE O.K. HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA. I'LL BE DARN NO HELP ON THIS ONE!!! :unsure::unsure: REAPER'S IS ON THE OTHER END OF THE YEARS. FROM 86 SERIES TO 5X88 SERIES. THIS LOOKS TO BE FROM 88 TO MAGNUM. VERY VERY INTERESTING TO SEE THIS THOUGH.

THANKS FOR THE PICS

MIKE

where is this located guys? We have got to get more pictures and history on this tractor! This is one for Ken Updike or someone to write a book on. I believe there are a lot of us out there who have been looking for this for a long time. We always new IH was behind the magnum 100%.

STS tranny- read somewhere that IH had a full powershift 54 field testing....so this would be a step before that machine.

Wonder what year this thing is? '83? '84? I'd like to see what the dash looks like too.

What do you guys think, I know a guy that has one sitting in the shed that looks just like that !!!!! 5388 open station. I would love to go see this thing and see how close I built mine to it . Wilson is this the tractor you got to see at Hinsdale IL ?

Find out some more information, Thanks Danny

That's a TX148 I'm sure of, if someone could look at the tag. That's one of the experimental cabs that was sold on pallets beside some of the tractors at Hinsdale auctions. The cabs were removed if they had newer technology such as powershift like a magnum. This one retains the 5x88 shift style sts tranny. The cab is the experimental part of this tractor I'd say. It's probably an earlier tractor, not a later one. IH built my experimental in 81' about 6-8 months before production started. They used it as a test tractor up until 83'. Hopefully 88seriesrestorer will get a chance to see mine up close this summer!!!

Rod Carlson who had Tekamah Ne. IH sold two of these tractors new. I don't know where the first one came from?? (Rod was a creative person) The second one came from an IH dealer that was closing out in North East Mo. I hauled it for Rod. This one was sold to someone near Seward /York Ne. and that was the last I saw it. The other one was sold locally and then traded in on a new Magnum and then resold to a farmer in eastern Iowa. I Think it was traded later to Pete Peterson that use to have Mo. Valley Imp. Pete had one just like it for sale. I worked on this one a couple times and the shifting linkage was not the same as a regular 88 series tractor.

It's really kind of a bittersweet thing to see how much of the magnums are IH. The guys at Tenneco must have about fallen over backwards to see what IH had in the works.

It is too bad the sales and marketing guys kept pushing the two-door cab-- the 86s would have been a lot better ergonomically with a 56 style shift placement, and this prototype cab has (in my opinion) a lot better controls layout than the 50 series.

You can look at the counsel and see magnum all over it. Look at the throttle lever. The shifter handle, the PTO lever and even the HYD. levers. The side photo is hard to tell what the dash looks like. The only thing missing was the full PS trans. and that we all know was hauled to Racine and ??. This to me next to a 74/7288 has to be the ultimate IH collectible.

Looks like I would need to change the cab top and I have the stuff to change my rear axels over to the way that one looks. Can one of you guys move a picture of the 5388 to this post so everyone can see the two units, last year around (Round Up) time.

Thanks Danny

Looks like I would need to change the cab top and I have the stuff to change my rear axels over to the way that one looks. Can one of you guys move a picture of the 5388 to this post so everyone can see the two units, last year around (Round Up) time.

Thanks Danny

Here ya go Danny!

100_1679.jpg

100_1680.jpg

100_1682.jpg

and the idiots over on the bash say we are nuts for saying that the Magnum is IH and not a full fledged Case

We are about 50 miles NW of Hinsdale, and in the fall of '83 I believe, the dairy farm up the road had a test 5488 out there they were plowing with trying to perfect the rocker switch for the electonic three point hitch. I never did go look at it though.

There's no picture of the right side of the tractor, but if you look carefully in the 2nd picture, you will see that there is no "B" pillar in the right side window. It is one solid piece of glass from front to back.

That is how I thought all 50-series were set up for the longest time.

The pictures on that site are so dark you can't see the tractor. What's more they talk about the right side not having a door but didn't have a photo of the right side. :angry:

5488-1.jpg

5488-2.jpg

5488interior.jpg

i kinda figured the picture of the console taking up 95% of the right side of the cab and the lack of a B pillar gave the no right door thing away.... ;)

Thanks BJ, Pat , who would say that this tractor is a Case !!!! Maybe they need a seeing eye dog. I would have to say they could have credit for putting there axels on it and the tilt up hood. In todays world they would want to put in an Iveco diesel :wacko:

Danny

I sold one of the first magnums new in eastern N.C. and it had IH stampings and part numbers all over it. Eason

Archived