Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dirty Offio

Break tracks on a TD9 91?

Hi all. Need to take the tracks apart on my TD9 91. I talked with a guy that works on Caterpillars, and he said there should be a master link and told me how to find it...I think his advice is only good for Cats. :( Is there a master link on these machines or can I break any link? I cannot see any way to get any of the pins out, short of using a gas axe...but I do not wnat to do that if there is a real method to do it. I see the bolts to take off the track plates, but I am assuming that does not break the track chain. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks folks!

Dirty Offio

The master pin on my TD91 is easy to spot as it looks different from all the other pins. Take a close look and you should find it.

TD62MB, I looked all the pins over real close and cannot find any that look different. (That was what the cat guy said as well, I wish it was that easy! lol

D McC, Thanks, I will look for a dimple in the end of the pin, that is subtle enough I might have missed it!

Thanks guys!

Here's a picture of two different links.

The Komatsu D31S has an Alligator master link. post-264-1262568873_thumb.jpg

The other is a dimple type master pin. post-264-1262568784_thumb.jpg

I have often removed track chains by loosening off the adjusters & levering & swearing,etc ..until they come off.A tractor with a crane jib is very helpful. This has been mainly on 5 Ton machines.

I could not find a master link on my 500c and wound up derailing it as Jim said. They are terribly heavy, so be careful!!

post-264-1262568784_thumb.jpg

I have often removed track chains by loosening off the adjusters & levering & swearing,etc ..until they come off.

..Jim...recently had to remove tracks from a very dead UHO63 excavator.....a difficult job....just wondering what swear words you found the most helpfull.because although familiar with most Antipodean phrases....and some North American...both B in L and I felt we should have done this vexed job a lot quicker... Could you shed light on this matter..???

Thanks in advance...

Mike

Mike,

As you know,the UH is a Japanese excavator.....ya gotta swear at it in Japanese!

How's it gonna understand your anger,if you're swearing in a foreign lingo... :blink:

...For English & US machines,I make up my own words....it keeps the mind working as you bash your fists on the panels. :rolleyes:

:P Mike , the proper phraze is " you &^##%$##@&^*(&&^$%%#@#$%$%@##$%^&*U%EW# 'er " !!!! and you can quote me ;)

Here's a page from my Case 310G manual.It's one of the best shop manuals I have...very informative.

I use it as a reference when I get lost doing repairs on other models.

Note the flexible handle on the T- piece.

post-264-1262738686_thumb.jpg

Jim

:P Mike , the proper phraze is " you &^##%$##@&^*(&&^$%%#@#$%$%@##$%^&*U%EW# 'er " !!!! and you can quote me ;)

...Yeah, coffeecreek...that just could be the one....that is just truely inspirational.... <_<<_< .now what part of the US to you come from ????..as the accent and word inflection could be quite important....you see, I am no stranger to track removal.... both voluntary and involuntary...but this excavator had new tracks and sprockets... and 20 inch grousers..was dead..( Isuzu got a lungfull of water...number one cylinder.....electrolysis from behind water pump ...)...and one track adjuster ..hydralic...would not back off...so B in L and self exhausted our full and extensive vocabulary of swear words ...which, of course helped...but it was an act and we finally made it with blood dripping from numerous abrasions...parched throats ... and a bent crow bar..

...anyway..Jim suggests some jap cuss words ...but I think you effort is going to take some heading off...so I will start with a quiet, solemn incantation.. and work up to the screaming cresendo that those adjectives and nouns, deserve..

Mike ( a very gratefull Mike... :):) )

Well thats kinda trick question Mike -_- N.W corner of Pennswoods , but I'm a second generation import ( hense the terrible spelling ). I'm Scotch , Dutch , Irish , Welsh , and English . So you see me accent changes with steam factor and lubricant . I find with all things you don't have to understand the language to get the meaning . By the way I'm sure the spellings off on the phraze . but thats the way I remember hearing it :P:P

Mike

Just thought I would drop another line in here that it was the dimple headed master pin. Thanks to all!