Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

poor farmer/logger

circulating block heater question

Siting in the house sick so figure I may as well pop a question on here seing as I can't do much else at the moment.

I put quick couplers on the D7 Cat the other day so I could hook up my hot box heater that I got last summer. Had a bit of a concern all along though with where the hot water was going in. The only spot is on the water manifold right close to the thermostat. Sure enough when it was all said and done the hot water just wet straight on past the thermostat into the top of the radiator. Unless there's no thermostats in it. Don't think that's the case though.

Now the qustion is what's going to hapen if I hook it up backwards. Had it hooked up so hot water went in the top and cold out the bottom of the block. Little bit concerned about burning out the copper coil around the burner where the coolant goes threw to be heated. I had it hooked up backwards the one day and the block did start to warm up but there was no way to tell if the return was circulating at all. So what do you guys think? Think it will push the cold water up and back into the heater?? I'm optimistic but physics is telling me otherwise.lol..

Considering putting a circulating pump on the cold line so I can keep it flowing at least.

Ryan

PFL, It sounds like you got it hooked up right but I think your suppose to plug it in while the motor's still hot, while the thermostats opened. I bought a block heater that wasn't circulating, just got warm. When you plug it in can you feel the heater vibrating? Jeff

Don't usually have to have the engine hot I don't think. We've always warmed them up from cold anyways. I could feel the hot line pulsing a bit when it was first getting going. After it had heated up it evened out a bit. The first time though I think there was still some air in the line that accounted for some of that. Wasn't as noticable the second time when I hooked it up backwards.

This heater isn't your typical electrical circulating heater but the pricipals are the same I would think. What I'm working with is a propane heater that sits on the ground. Coper coil on the inside that the coolant goes threw and a propane burner in the bottom of it. Either way heat goes up so I would think it should work the same. Bout half a hour hooked up and I couldn't hold my hand on the water manifold. Sadly the block and heads were cold.

Thanks

Ryan

PFL, Sorry bout that. I thought you had just a plain block heater. That set up sounds really slick. I've never heard of that style before. Jeff

They're not all that common anymore I don't think. Back in the earlier years though I beleive they were more common. Was going to buy a new webatso heater but this unit came along new for 275 dollars. Just under a third of the price basically. Figured it was worth a go anyways. I think it will work good on the skidder as it's hooked up properly.

I'll try and get a pic of it tomorow for those that haven't seen them before. It's made by E.F. heaters in Ont. I think that's the name. Been a while since I've looked at the name. It's close to that if it's not right. KoO could correct me I'm sure. He uses there hockey stick heaters. Same principal but that unit is mounted on the machine.

Ryan

You would think the thermostat would open up with heat against it..

Not sure on if possible on D7 but most my equiptment have a "T" added at the temp sending unit for the water hot input and the return comes from the block drain.. Most places here remote ,use quick connects to at the same atachments to hook up to a service vehicle heater hoses.. Your heater got me thinking about a coil of copper ,a 55 gallon drum, quick connects , and some slabwood... :lol:

-Steve-

That's the problme Steve, the hot water is going into the rad instead of the block. at -20C it'd take me most of the day to get er going.lol.. Thermometer sensor goes right in before the thremostat unfortuatley. These old 7's there wasn't to many places to take or put water in. Mine used to be a pup start but has since been converted to direct. So the spot where the pup went into the block was wedled with a steel plug. Drilled and taped a half inch pipe thread hole there.

If you could get it hot enough there's no reason it wouldn't work i don't think. Always been scared of puting cold water into a nice hot engine. In theory it just seems like a bad idea. Lots of people have done it over the years though. Never heard one way or another though on how it worked out though.

Ryan

An outfit I knew 25 yrs back used the quick couplers of their service trucks all the time forabout 10 pieces of equipment.I don't know if it hert the trucks any as they were worn out in 2 years anyway

Ryan

Put your hot water hose from your heater into the drain hole for the block, take the cold water return from engine thermostate housing/or themperture guage outlet back to your heater.

I have put heaters on this way for 50 years, they work way much better and faster, you don't get the pulsating in the hot hose. Just make sure your heater is below the level of the block drain, and the hose is on a slight rise from your heater to that block drain. We put them on all the old pup start cats puting the hot water into a head of the pup engine then taking the cold from the thermostate housing, this heated the entire engine but the pup was the warmest.

I've done it this way on all engines gas or deisel, cat or IH.

John

Dog Gone it John

You took the words right out of my mouth(what ever you said) :wacko::wacko::wacko: I was going to say was intake from low point and back in behind T stat to block

Okay sounds like it'll work then. I had it hooked up what I would call backwards the one time and it was heating it up but I was concerned that it wasn't ciculating properly. Was worried about geting the coil to hot and burning it up.

Might just hook it up for kicks and giggles this afternoon and let it go for a couple of hours. If it's not blowing to hard that is. Oils will probably be to think to fire er up but I can give it a try anyways if conditions cooperate.

Thanks guys.

Ryan

Didn't hook the heater up today as it was blowing and pushing close to -30C(-22F) without the winch chill. Suposed to be down around -50C(-58F) they're saying with the wind chill tomorow morning.

Took a couple of pics this afternoon though for those who are interested.

post-761-1260573713_thumb.jpg

Ryan

One other thing I fogot to mention was make sure you have all the air out of you heater unit and hoses, as air in the coils will soon make steam and blow a hose.

also the drain hole in the block for your hot water inlet may have to be made bigger, it should be atleast ½" ,preferable ¾".

John

Hi John, I drilled and taped out the plug that had been welded in place if where the pup used to draw or put water in which ever it is. Just infront of the block drain. I got it taped out to 1/2" npt. That's what the hot hose is on the heater. The return is 5/8".

Before I had hooked it up I bleed the lines a little bit. I had the top line hooked up and bled it back threw the bottom out onto the ground. I did it again the second time and drained out a cup of antifreeze and there wasn't any air in it the second time. So I think all is well there. Been to cold to hook it up again though. So I haven't tried it out again yet.

Thanks

Ryan

Back in the 80's a local guy had a invention to put quik couplers and hoses on your pick up heater hoses and on a piece of equipment and circulate the warm truck anti-freeze to the equipment to warm it up . We went to his sale and he had lost a fertilizer business and his farm/house over trying to make a go of it . They sold the business that day at his farm sale (bunch of pioneer couplers and 5/8 hose and pamplets ) for about $50 dad bought it fot the pioneer ends. We also bought a nice 2000 fleetstar that day, we went back the next day to get the truck and the guy told us he was sure the business would bring over $100,000 . He had a group of Canadians coming down for it :lol:In those days I'm not sure we even new were Canada was. We about died laughing at him but he was about to cry or had been.

Poor guy, can't help but laugh but at the same time kinda feel sory for the fella. It's not like he was onto some modern marvel though. Can't believe he'd put everything he had up to try and make a go of it with a buisness like that. Wonder if somebody didn't milk him for all he had to get the patents and everything done. Hard to believe he could lose it all over hose clamps and pioneer ends.

Ryan

Ryan don't forget the part about the Canucks arriving a week late :ph34r:

SGR has the market cornered now, let the King setup your northern distributorship and you can tour those prairies in the summer touching base with your clients........LOL Remember those size 13's still have some a$$ kickin to at least try and accomplish............... :P:P

Hartail :lol::lol: Made it to the border to pu some hounds last fall, looked pretty tough on the other side of the fence so I just went back south kick'n rocks :rolleyes:

I think it was a BIG dream he told the BANK about the Canadians coming. They just didn't show up probly couldn't get there car started :lol: From what I remember a patent lawyer cleaned him.