Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Farmall Doctor

Rear Axle Ratios

...first picture is a ACCOF 1950...

..you can see by the picture why good traction was essential... :)

...other picture is ACCOF 2150... only difference was..as I recall...38,000 lb rears...as oposed to the 30,000 lb on the 1950

..BTW..that is 'firewood gathering off the skid site..for home use... :D

post-157-1262509872_thumb.jpg

hey Ed we had a triple nickel (555) in a AC 440 (made buy steiger for ac) and it was a good lil runner for a 175hp V8

and ED as far as the # speed eatons go if you send me a pm i can give you a fellows name and number that will have all that info for you on those rears since they were used in IH trucks

ED - Summer of '75 I drove a '74 Diamond REO readymix truck that was 555-powered with an Allison 5-speed A/T, it also had a 3-speed aux. transmission, a 2:1 reduction, direct, and about a 1.2:1 overdrive.

555 was rated @ 208 HP, no turbo, think it ran 2400-2500, can't really say what the fuel MPG was, with the A/T and mixer duty it was BAD, trucks only had a 40 gal. fuel tank, had to fuel up at least twice a day most days.

555 was competition for the 3208 CAT, DV550, etc. But a DT466 will last at least twice as long and burn less fuel every day.

Hello, guys we sort of hijacked this thread but its interesting anyway!! The three speed Eaton was simply two 2 speed rears that used the power divider to provide the intermediate gear. Started out with both rears in lo side. We had an air shift and when we went to intermediate the back axle was shifted into the high side, front axle stayed in lo and the power divider served as a gear reduction. You were not supposed to run in this position constantly or even too long. Of course when the front axle went into high the power divider went back to its normal function and you just motored along. We had it behind a 5 speed and a 318 detroit, Once up to road speed you never had to touch the stick just shift the rears if you were on good level road. Lots o people cussed them but I really learned to like them.

I can't figure out why the pickup manufacturers are not making 2 speed rears as an option on these newer heavier trucks. I believe it would be very well received. But then I think a real Jake brake would be a great addition as well.

As for the comparison of engines a 466 is a tough fit into most pickup's for lengeth. Even a 360 is a bit long and heavy, A v6 or v8 is a much more feasible fit. I never liked a 3208 much , don't have much experience with the 555's. But it sounds like a neat project. A good cummins 5.9 with a light weight 10 or 13 speed would be an interesting thing to drive. I just don't like using a clutch when shifting a manual trans. Not sure how it would work in a pickup but I would like to try it.

ed

ed truth being most people are not smart enough to operate a 2 speed rear

it amazes me how many guys older than me can't do it.

i guess unless you are around 2 speeds all you life your gonna be lost kinda like driving 2 sticks it is a lost art

and as far as the real jake brakes go i have a friend that works for cummins and he told me it would cost as much for the jakes as it did for the 5.9

Hello, guys we sort of hijacked this thread but its interesting anyway!! The three speed Eaton was simply two 2 speed rears that used the power divider to provide the intermediate gear. Started out with both rears in lo side. We had an air shift and when we went to intermediate the back axle was shifted into the high side, front axle stayed in lo and the power divider served as a gear reduction. You were not supposed to run in this position constantly or even too long. Of course when the front axle went into high the power divider went back to its normal function and you just motored along. We had it behind a 5 speed and a 318 detroit, Once up to road speed you never had to touch the stick just shift the rears if you were on good level road. Lots o people cussed them but I really learned to like them.

I lost you there. In low both rears in low, power divider allowing power to which ever rear turns easier. In intermediate back in high front in low power divider sends power to both, loud noise from somewhere rear of cab. What have I got wrong here?

I can't figure out why the pickup manufacturers are not making 2 speed rears as an option on these newer heavier trucks.

Would tire size be too small for size of diff? As in ground clearance?

7288cdn. I can't make the reply button work so I just typed here.

You are correct that could be a disaster, but No noise unless the power divider was locked in!! But a power divider is like a differential only its between the two axles and the power is going to all wheels all of the time. If any one wheel slips on a tandem (twin screw) without diff locks or divider locked in, forward motion could cease, the power divider when locked in would guarantee that at least one wheel on each axle would spin, basically it locked the driveshaft out of the front rear to the one that came in from the driveshaft off the transmission.

Everyone of those three speed set ups I was around had a manual valve to engage outside of the cab or had its air source supplied from the shifter splitter line that supplied lo. I think the shifter mechanisms were spring loaded to go into high and air pressure to lo. Most owners with drivers totally unhooked the power divider and sent a good chain with each truck!! It was a lot cheaper than fixing dividers!!

ed

There I probably made that as clear as mud, and got Mr Newman thinking of Rosies Cantina again!!

I can't figure out why the pickup manufacturers are not making 2 speed rears as an option on these newer heavier trucks.

Would tire size be too small for size of diff? As in ground clearance?

It could be an issue but I think they could easily build a complete axle that would be compatable with smaller rubber. I thought about going with 17.5 lo pros or 19.5's if I ever did use a big truck rear. The biggest trouble that I saw to converting one was getting wheels and brakes on the outer end that would be pickup oriented

ed

Darryn. If you want you could contact Stroeder's Truck and Trailer of Walkerton at 1 519 881 0900 . The fellow that did own this place built 2 GM pickups using small Detroits I pretty sure the first one has a 6v53 it has a 10 spd trans behind it and 4wd.

Darryn..now this won't help you in a physical sense.....bit like your thread spinning out of control into Cummins territory...and Ed on about other very sensitive issues... :D an old, old friend of ours just loves Detroits...runs a V12 in a Kenworth...just restored a V8 IH5070 etc...but he also has an Australian pickup...a AA110 ..and the power plant is a three cylinder Detroit ..3/53..one of those with the aluminium block...which is idealy suited to that size truck...It goes like the proverbial...and for the aluminium block doubters...this bloke has several...evidently built for the US military.

...now...I should not say this ...already one poster ,s idea of Detroit in a Ford truck was cut off at the knees....but when I get that diesel engine into my old mint F250 2x4.....there are various Jap truck boxes ..to suit the 3 to 4 ton trucks ...that would give you a far higher overdrive than quoted with those RTO boxes.....In my opinion the '9' hundred lb torque rated box would be excessively 'overkill'..weight wise...however..you just have to make the best deal you can...

I did a mile or three in a 4 x2 Bedford tractor unit...running a nine speed R.R. behind the 6v53...that thing just flew...

Good Luck.. :):)

Mike

Ed, your last post got me thinking about Rosie's again and it took me a couple of days to get back on track.

I was right about the divider having to be free. That leads to my next question. With one diff in hi and one in low does that mean the divider just averages the output so that things don't strip or spin? No wonder they didn't want you to stay in that range very long.

Ed, your last post got me thinking about Rosie's again and it took me a couple of days to get back on track.

I was right about the divider having to be free. That leads to my next question. With one diff in hi and one in low does that mean the divider just averages the output so that things don't strip or spin? No wonder they didn't want you to stay in that range very long.

Basically thats what it does, the internal gears of the power divider were turning all of the time that you were in intermediate. As long as you had good oil and reasonably lo ambient air they stayed lubed up and lasted a while. They were touchy but we never lost a power divider on that truck and we really didn't avoid using it. The thing was you didn't want to put it into a head wind and hog into it in that gear all day long or anything like that. Probably would have been a lot more trouble in a truck with a long torque curve and or just a lot of HP. but in the old 318 you shifted the button a lot. and this took the load off of things in the power divider area. The old guys said the power divider should last at least 100,000 miles and back in the day that was not too bad, took us more than a year to get those miles on delivering tractors

ed

Hey fellas... I've about searched every yard that I could contact, and did find this lovely Spicer rear with hydraulic disc brakes and 4:11 gears!

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

Thay said that they would throw in these rims wearing Bridgestone 22.5" tires in good condition.

IMG_0681.jpg

They said $800... about double what I wanted to pay, but I guess I'm the only one that still thinks that is alot of money. Some yards said that they get $1500 for just the axle... no wheels! :blink: I could not find a tag at all on the axle, just the numbers stamped on the pinion 41-10. SO, tonight I'm going to rummage my junk pile and see if I have enough cast aluminum to cash in at the scrappers!

IMG_0669.jpg

And there's my RTO 9513 Tranny! ...at least it was cheap!

Darryn

well you got most of the parts .next get it together . i think the rest will nickel and dime you hard .but the best of luck and patinces .

love the sound of them DDs .

..Well, so much for that! I got all the way out there in the Chev and they decided to put the price up another $200. :angry::angry: I guess I'll just keep looking.