Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dax DeCelle

need help with a master cylinder rebuild

I finally got my carb fixed and got in the cab to find all of my brake fluid in the floor of the cab. I added more fluid just to make sure and it came dripping into the cab. I pulled the master cylinder and am now in need of a kit. The only numbers on the cylinder housing are as follows:

driver side 2704

pass. side R9 347

My Loadstar parts book has a similar unit that is part number 261 572 C91, but not this one.

Most of the master cylinders are split into two resevoirs, but this one has only one.

Do any of you know where I can find a part number and a rebuild kit?

Thanks so much.

post-5726-1258218372_thumb.jpgpost-5726-1258218410_thumb.jpg

Since you have it off of the truck already I would take it down to your local NAPA or Carquest and see if they can figure out what you have.

I have an old NAPA brake parts book and there are basically 2 choices, either a United 661 or 2657. The online picture of the 661 looks identical right down to the 2704 marking. They are both listed as having the same outlet ports and both are 1.5" cylinder bore so I'm guessing the difference in the two is the depth of the push rod inset.

United 661 picture

United 2657 picture

The kit for the 661 cylinder is a United 39 and for the 2657 is a United 135. If it has a 1.75" cylinder bore then I can give some other numbers if you need.

Thank you so much for the info. I actually went to my local NAPA, which, as I knew it would be, is a practice in futility. I took my cylinder and all of its parts so they could look at them, I even went in their "heavy duty parts"door. As soon as I said "International," I could see the look in his face, the same look they always give me, the look of "we both know I don't have it and I am not even going to try." I was actually dealing with the owner of the store. The NAPA here in town uses the same computer catalog that is available to the public online, so I knew they didn't have what I needed according to the computer. The only "1600" medium duty truck that they have in their files is just that, a 1600, not a Loadstar. He had clearly never heard of the Loadstar, which happens to be the IH truck that sold more than any other model, including the Scout. Like I said, I knew all of this would happen, but I keep thinking that they could somehow cross reference the part, thinking that maybe it was used on some other truck. If it is not in their computer, they don't care. Neither does Auto Zone. They had never heard of a Scout.

So when I told him that I didn't think he would be able to help me, but that I thought I would try. He says, "you'll have to go to Scott," which is the nearest International dealer ---about 40 miles away. I knew that as well. Then I said, "they are a bunch of arseholes," because they are. He agreed and told me about a time when he had tried to get a part through them. He told me how they don't care, don't want to care, and don't even try to make you think that they might care. Like I said, I have dealt with them before and it is something that I dread. They truly treat you like you just schit on their floor every time you go in there. I just thought is was so ironic that the guy who owns the local NAPA and won't lift a finger to help me is telling me how the guys at Scott are a bunch of jerks. Ironic.

I went and measured and it is a 1.5" bore. I tried to look at the links and they don't go anywhere. Could you give me the NAPA part number please? Thanks so much.

I found the parts on the Napa site. Thanks again. What I don't understand is that neither kit is complete. You actually need parts from both to rebuild the cylinder. I guess I will have to buy both and make my own kit.

Thanks again.

Working with parts people who don't know there are parts available that aren't listed in the computer can be more than a little frustrating.

I just went through that recently at our local NAPA.

I needed a brake light switch for my '65 Travelall--the hydraulic kind that mounts in the brake line.

According to their computer cataloge it was NLA because it didn't list any such switch.

I knew they were still available at NAPA but didn't know the parts number.

I asked them if they had an old book.

They pulled one out from in back that was covered in dust.

Looked up the part in the book, entered the number in the computer, and presto I got a new brake light switch.

I am thinking that as NAPA switched over their inventory control over to computer they didn't input all of the data. As parts are requested from the old books they can access the inventory because all of the inventory is there but it isn't always cross referenced to be easily accessed.

That's what a kit is---new rubbers, and other stuff. They should be here tomorrow. The weird thing is that neither of the two kits available had all of the rubber parts. They each had some, not all.

Ah, got it. Browsing by too quickly. :blush:

Well, at least you got parts. :)

Pretty soon I gotta do my '64, including the long dead and way rusty vacuum booster. That ought to be a treat.

You might be in luck with a vacuum booster I bought one new from the International( or whatever their currrent name is ) dealer near here 4 or 5 years ago and he had it in stock only $125.00 I don't know if itwas NOS or what but they always seem to come up with parts for my 69. Steve

M DIESEL i got a booster thats was a rebuild [thats what was told to me ] i will try to find it . my stock boy [me] does not do i very good job at stock .

M DIESEL i got a booster thats was a rebuild [thats what was told to me ] i will try to find it . my stock boy [me] does not do i very good job at stock .

Well, let me know what turns up. Meanwhile, I'll check with CIH tomorrow.

Sorry for delay, am on the road this week.

will try and get to the booster by sat . know what you mean busy hear .