How good/bad are the IH 430 square baler?

farmerpete806

There is a Ih 430 square baler for sale locally. I have been looking for something cheap to do a little hay bailing next year ( probably less then 20 acres for now). What should I look out for on these balers, how easy is it to work on and get parts for this baler?

Thanks in advance!

Farmer Pete

Admittedly I work on NH balers almost exclusively. I got involved with a IH435 with alltwine knotters last summer. The learning curve was a little steep, but that was my problem, not the baler's. My concern was the number of parts that were NLA, and the fact that most of what was available cost just about double that of the corresponding NH part. Needles, billhooks etc were in the neighborhood of $200 per. We did get it going nicely, though. I'd look for a Deere or NH baler with better parts support than an IH baler.

Very good baler! A step in the right direction away from IH's 2 digit model balers. We had ours for a few years now and it is in need of some adjustment but works well. The only thing we found out is do not blow the knotters off with an air gun. It will miss a couple bales. 1-2 per wagon. Do not blow them off and just wipe the grease fittings off and grease it does not miss any! :wacko: As for adjustments it is getting to the point that I cannot adjust the thrower speed and in super dry hay/straw I have the cranks down the whole way and it will make a light 25-30 lb bale. As for the things I don't like about it-----not many will notice this but the strings are set a hair wider than NH and other balers. So you are prone to tear the strings off the bale easier than the other brands. Plus to grab both strings in one hand you must have long fingers.

Archived