Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

farmalluser

Can't find Information on IH 544

I have a 1969 International 544 utility gear drive tractor, not the Farmall 544. It runs on gas. I am having a very difficult time finding any information on this tractor. I went to the Red Power show in Madison this year. Walked past every tractor there. No IH-544's. I looked at the Nebraska tests and find IH-544 Hydro tractors but no Gear tractor. I believe the horsepower is sitting somewhere in the 50hp range. I have several IH books including the "International Harvester Tractors - 1955-1985" and find virtually no information on this tractor.

Here is what I do know:

Made in 1969 (serial number 14124)

Gas engine - 200 cu in (from the manual)

4-cylinder

5 speed manual w/TA

I think I found someplace that said 13,000 were made but it made no reference to gear vs hydro and it appears that the hydro where the popular ones, at least in the mind of IH.

I sure would like to be able to find a book that actually talks about this tractor. Any information sources would be great.

There were a lot more gear drives than hydros. You have to remember the hydros were IH's pride and joy so they were touted much more in the literature. Remember IH was the only one with the hydrostatic transmission at that time and no one had a transmission that came close in productivity in loader and pto applications. Eason

You're right about the hydro production, I guess that is why the gear took the back seat in the advertising, what little advertising I can find. It's sort of ironic that while the combo of hydro and loader seem to be a good match, the IH 544 I bought back in 1989 was a gear with a loader. Have no idea what the make/model of the loader is (everything has been painted over) but it has a good size bucket and the hydraulics seems to be able to lift an elephant. I keep looking for more info. I tracked down 2 potential Nebraska tests, numbers 984 and 1007 but the more I look the more it appears that 984 was really a Farmall 544 and 1007 was the IH hydro. Still can't even find a Nebraska test number that really says IH 544 gear with a gas engine. Running out of sources. :(

I hope that these are of help (or at least interest) to you. If not, well, I guess I just wasted a lot more time than it should have taken to scan these.. LOL :rolleyes:

(click on the header of each pic for full size)

BTW - I think only the Farmall version of the 544 was ever tested in Nebraska.

-FT

pg1.jpg

pg2.jpg

pg3.jpg

pg4.jpg

pg5.jpg

pg6.jpg

The 3rd picture in the series is the tractor I have although mine does not look as nice as in the picture. I can't imagine that IH produced a model for 5-6 years and never had it tested in Nebraska. It makes sense in that I can never find the actual test number for this tractor. Are there other models out there that were also never sent to be tested?

If anyone has any info on this tractor I would be grateful. Magazine articles, brochures, whatever. I don't know where else to go for information other than people on this board. I'm just trying to get a feel of what I have and if I should seriously think about having it restored.

There is a copy of a sales brochure for sale on ebay right now. This brochure is fairly common and I have one in my collection.

Ebay - 544 brochure

This is another type of sales literature on ebay:

Ebay - 544 #2

Here is an owner's manual, I think it covers both International and Farmall models:

Ebay - 544 Owner's manual

Other then drawbar pull the hp hp/hrs per gallon etc would be the same for a 544 utility and a 544 farmall...I would think.

Ok I done some digging around and came up with this(itll also apply to the gear drive tractors). It states that the International FARMALL 544 gas/diesel test ALSO applies to the INTERNATIONAL 544 and INTERNATIONAL 2544. So the test numbers for the IH Farmall 544 gear drive will also work for the utility gear drive, which is the reason it didnt have to be tested at Nebraska. I hope this helps.

You're right about the hydro production, I guess that is why the gear took the back seat in the advertising, what little advertising I can find.

I tracked down 2 potential Nebraska tests, numbers 984 and 1007 but the more I look the more it appears that 984 was really a Farmall 544 and 1007 was the IH hydro. Still can't even find a Nebraska test number that really says IH 544 gear with a gas engine. Running out of sources. :(

Nebraska Test #984 F-544 Gasoline Gear-Drive

#983 F-544 Diesel Gear-Drive

#1007 F-544 Hydro Gasoline

#1029 F-544 Hydro Diesel

They may never have tested that particular combination. I know there's no Nebraska test for ANY version of the 756, for example. At least it's not documented in the Nebraska tests book.

You can get a good idea of the tractor's capabilities from the Farmall 544 gas gear test, and I figure that's about as good as you're going to get.

Matt: I believe the late 706 (D 310 and C 291 versions) results were applied to the 756.

FarmallTom: thanks for posting the brochure, those are neat little tractors, esp. in the Farmall version, which I like to think is the ultimate M.

I found the 544 more of a super, super H and the 656 the super, super M :D The 544 Hydro is the most nimble Farmall ever made. Great tractors. Perfect size for a lot of jobs on a 600 acre 2 tractor farm. Great 4 row machine. Sweet little engine. And Tom, you didn't waste your time. Thank you for posting. Brings back a lot of memories of a nice, nice tractor....James

Farmall-Tom, Thanks for posting,I never owned one but remember them well in the show room at the time. Tony

Farmall-Tom you didnt waste your time I love those pictures ,guess I gota look for that piece of literature I have a f544 all fixed up with 2000 loader .Casey

THERE IS ONE FOR SALE RIGHT NOW ON TRACTOR HOUSE. GEAR SHIFT/DIESEL/INTERNATIONAL NOT FARMALL. LOOKS A LITTLE ROUGH BUT COMPLETE.