Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FarmallFan

706 Repower

Here are some pictures of a 706 that's been repowered with a DT360. The work was done by the same shop the built the 1066 Magnum. It dyno'd 273 HP at PTO speed! I'll let Ed answer any other questions you may have.

706REPOWER001.jpg

706REPOWER002.jpg

706REPOWER003.jpg

706REPOWER004.jpg

Are you sure 273hp? Man that is a ton out of a DT360! It sure looks great!

Yes, he had the dyno read correctly, pto was at 1003 rpm. Sure beats a D-282 or a 310 in a 706 doesn't it?? The tractor is mostly going to play, probably won't go to the field set that strong. I am sure he built it well enough to work it, but I don't know enough about the cooling system to know if it would stay cool in the field or not. Running a 14 inch flywheel and a 4 disc TA with the big sprag should get the power to the rear but I am sure the ring and pinion/ diff will suffer if it goes out to the field at that setting.

ed

just thought he did such a good install job that you all would get a kick out of seeing it.

I'll bet it is...look at that "P" pump hanging on the side.

.................................Mark

You guys are killing me here! I am drooling like a slobbering dog. All my ideas are being put into action. That is just one good looking 706. Thanks for the pics and bring on more. Need to have a warning sign on these threads. I am seriously going to keel over with excitement.

That's pretty sweet, DT360, A pump, turbo, yeah, that looks like a lot of fun!

Add a "ice box" on the intake and the 300 HP mark could be easily passed..... :ph34r:

Shawn,

a DT360 in the truchs were a min of 210hp stock and the DTA 360's were more but can't remember for sure so I can see those numbers.

Still would like too have the money and be able to find all the parts to turbo the Lady.

I'm kinda curious as to what he has on there for a turbo. Ed, did you come up w/ an ultra-rare DT360 skidder exhaust manifold for that one?

what did he use for the tie down bracket on the front frame rails been trying to figure something like them out so I quit scratching my paint.

Thanks David

what did he use for the tie down bracket on the front frame rails been trying to figure something like them out so I quit scratching my paint.

Thanks David

Ditto!

I'm kinda curious as to what he has on there for a turbo. Ed, did you come up w/ an ultra-rare DT360 skidder exhaust manifold for that one?

No I can't claim i found it, I did have the good fortune to find 3 power unit engines with complete systems on them a while back. Didn't even know how rare they were at the time!! Sold at least one of them to a regular on here!! Wish I had kept one for a casting copy! its time to have some built!! Might have to borrow it back or ask glenn to send his up here.

I think I did tell Glenn where to look for one, but he found it on his own. I'll find out about the turbo!! Maybe I can get pictures of it posted on here.

ed

ps Farmer Tony did you ever install that manifold and turbo???

No I can't claim i found it, I did have the good fortune to find 3 power unit engines with complete systems on them a while back. Didn't even know how rare they were at the time!! Sold at least one of them to a regular on here!! Wish I had kept one for a casting copy! its time to have some built!! Might have to borrow it back or ask glenn to send his up here.

I think I did tell Glenn where to look for one, but he found it on his own. I'll find out about the turbo!! Maybe I can get pictures of it posted on here.

ed

ps Farmer Tony did you ever install that manifold and turbo???

Ed,

if you ever get some built I might be interested in one for my 766D

David

Thanks David

Ditto!

Guys, do like JD Humm and some others did and bolt some chain with hooks on to the frame and the draw bar so you can hook your tie down chains to them. Paint them and you are done.

what about the frame rails and hood, is it any longer than a late model 706?

what about the frame rails and hood, is it any longer than a late model 706?

stock frame rail and hoods as far as I was told. I think they used a modified 66/86 series tractor front cover. changed from a 2 bolt mount (at the frame rail); narrowed it and used one of the two bolt holes.

If you get the front cover off of a 666 or the 312 in a 686 it is a direct bolt onto the 360 or 400 series engine and will fit the frame rails of the 706. Then the front mounts do not need to be changed.

ed

ps for those that may be interested, we are experimenting with an 11" dual disc clutch to go on the 360 or 400 series if you want to stuff it into the small bell housing of the 656 666 686 etc. Seems like it will work well but will be limited in RPM's

I'll bet it is...look at that "P" pump hanging on the side.

.................................Mark

When you say "P" pump. What do you mean? Looks like an American Bosch Model APE 6BB.

What a great project. I wish I had the time....

Can anyone tell me about the brackets for the rear weights. Do they clamp on the rear axles or go through the wheel bolt holes. It seems like a much better way to get weights on and off.

Thanks.

I MAY KNOW WHERE A FEW IH LOG SKIDDERS ARE THAT ARE BEING PARTED OUT WITH THE DT360 INSTANT MESSAGE ME IF INTERESTED.