Tire size on early M's & H's

possum

Iwas in a discussion with a fella who claims that early M's and H's had 36" wheels and tires and that 38's were not offered until some time later in the 40's. Can anyone here add to this ? And if this is true when were the larger tires made available? thanks.

That is true, Somebody a few years older that I am may be able to comment for sure but I think all the 36" dia. rims were of the "demountable bead" type rims like older truck rims. The 38" dia. rims were all called a one-piece Deep Well rim which allows the tire beads to be pryed over to opposite side of the rim for mounting. I "think" the cast centers were the same for either size/style of rim. My old owners manuals don't say for sure, but an old parts book should which I don't have.

I suspect all the old 36" rims & tires are long ago been made obsolete, worn-out or scrapped just like the old truck tires. The rims were a REAL safety hazard.

Like everything IHC, everything was an "Option", Dad had a '39 H that had 10-38 rims & tires, eventually 11-38's became more common and considered "Standard". M's started with 11-38's and eventually 12-38's became popular, sometimes even 13-38's were used. But once again if You had a special requirement either FARMALL or Your dealer would put Your M on 10-38's or Your H on 13-38's. The cast centers on both tractors had the same mounting dimensions.

Finding an M or H with the old 36" demountable bear rims is not impossible, but pretty hard.

yes the 39' thru mid 40' h's and m's came with 36" rear rims. the 38" rims came mid way thru the 1940 production run. i'm glad that the tire industry came up with the drop center 38" rims, they are the easiest to change.

Dr. E,

We call them "Split-rims" and, yes, they can kill you at ANY time! We never had a safety cage (what the heck is that???) at the gas station I worked at many years ago....always made the sphincter tighten when a 22.5 dump truck tire set to the bead at about 90PSI. I wouldn't trust them even if they were welded.

Mark

I just seen a steel spoke wheel on an H that has a 36" on it.

Did some of those have the lugs cut off and a 36" rim welded in their place or was this factory prior to the cast center and better rim?

I just seen a steel spoke wheel on an H that has a 36" on it.

Did some of those have the lugs cut off and a 36" rim welded in their place or was this factory prior to the cast center and better rim?

those wheels were originally steel and were cut down for rubber tires. the cast wheels were available from the start or production, even later f-20's could be bought with cast rear wheels.

yes the 39' thru mid 40' h's and m's came with 36" rear rims. the 38" rims came mid way thru the 1940 production run. i'm glad that the tire industry came up with the drop center 38" rims, they are the easiest to change.

Interesting thread...I'll add this.

The tire / wheel manufacturers must have been ready for the switch from 36" to 38's sooner that I thought. The factory build sheet dated January, 1940 for my 1940 John Deere model "A" specified 9-38" six ply rears.

I've seen 36's on older JD's.

I was following the thread and wondered......

I have 18.4x38's on my 40 M. My tractor pulling club allows any tire as long as it is not a cut tire. However, other clubs disqualify me as my tires are too large (not stock). In that case I pull for exhibition only. My question is what is the largest tire size 38" rims that would be considered 'stock'?

To those who wonder, I run out of power before running out of traction. Also took 3rd place with a sled last weekend and 1st place with a stone boat.

Thanks!

I was following the thread and wondered......

I have 18.4x38's on my 40 M. My tractor pulling club allows any tire as long as it is not a cut tire. However, other clubs disqualify me as my tires are too large (not stock). In that case I pull for exhibition only. My question is what is the largest tire size 38" rims that would be considered 'stock'?

To those who wonder, I run out of power before running out of traction. Also took 3rd place with a sled last weekend and 1st place with a stone boat.

Thanks!

the widest rim that you could of gotten new with your m would have been eleven inches.

• 1 month later...

I was wondering what was the widest rim and largerst tire concidered stock on an H? I am restoring one and I am going to replace the rear rims and tires. It has a 13.6x38 on a 11 inch rim on one side and a 12.4x38 on the other side. My plans were 11x38 rims with either 13.6 or 14.9 tires. Would the 14.9's be too much of a tire for the H? This tractor is for mostly shows with the occational pull. Thanks

I was wondering what was the widest rim and largerst tire concidered stock on an H? I am restoring one and I am going to replace the rear rims and tires. It has a 13.6x38 on a 11 inch rim on one side and a 12.4x38 on the other side. My plans were 11x38 rims with either 13.6 or 14.9 tires. Would the 14.9's be too much of a tire for the H? This tractor is for mostly shows with the occational pull. Thanks

A new size 12.4 X 38 (the old 11-38) on an eleven inch rim is a nice size for an H, Biggest I'd go is a 13.6 X 38 (the old 12-38) on a twelve inch wide rim. A 14.9 X 38 tire (the old 13-38) is even taller than a 15.5 X 38 or 18.4 X 34 tire. It would give Your H an awesome road gear but would probably be too much tire to pull well with.

A new size 12.4 X 38 (the old 11-38) on an eleven inch rim is a nice size for an H, Biggest I'd go is a 13.6 X 38 (the old 12-38) on a twelve inch wide rim. A 14.9 X 38 tire (the old 13-38) is even taller than a 15.5 X 38 or 18.4 X 34 tire. It would give Your H an awesome road gear but would probably be too much tire to pull well with.

Thanks DR.Evil!!!

Does anyone have some god pics of different size rear tires on their H's?

The Farmall H and Farmall M cast wheel centres, different on the different models, were the same for the 36" and 38" rims. The W-4 and W-6 itractors nitially came out with 24" two-piece or 3-piece (Firestone and Goodyear, cannot remember which was which). Later the W-4 and W-6 went to 26" drop centre one-piece rims. The whhel centres were the same. Later still the W-6 went to 28" and 30" rims but I believe the wheel centres were replace by larger diameter centres, the early centres such as in the W-4 had round holes in the web but the later W-6 centres had more rectangular holes.

In 1939 my uncle bought a new Avery Ro-trak tractor built by the Avery Power Machinery Co. of Peoria. This tractor had the old narrow base drop center rims with 9-36 Goodyear Sure Grip open center type tires mounted on a steel disk center with offset to facilitate adjustable tread when the wheels were turned around. I remember this because they were compared to the rear wheels on my great uncle's unstyled 1937 John Deere B. The B had originally come on steel but when the lugs were worn out, new French and Hehtch spoked rear wheels with 9-36 Allstates mounted on them from Sears, Roebuck and Co. were put on it. I remember the Allstates on the Johnny were just a tad higher than the Goodyears on the Avery when the Avery and the John Deere were driven side by side for comparison. The Avery never could hold it's rear end together and was traded in on a new Farmall H in the late spring of 1941. The H came with 10-38 Goodyear Sure Grip open centers mounted on the newer style wide base rims with the drop center mounted on the regular 6 hole cast Farmall wheel centers. Curiously, the Avery and the Farmall both had the same type of front wheel rubber, the Goodyear Front Tractor Multi-rib design that had 5 or 6 grooves with little notches in the outer 2 grooves.

The old 1935 Allis-Chalmers model E that my Dad used to run for a neighboring farmer had 12.75-24's or 26 Goodyear "diamond tread" tires on it's rear wheels and the identical tread pattern 7.00-18 Goodyear front tires, all on those narrow drop center type rims. I never remember seeing any split type rims on any tractors except F-20's that had the cast center rear and front wheels that came on factory equipped rubber tired tractors.

Dr. E,

We call them "Split-rims" and, yes, they can kill you at ANY time! We never had a safety cage (what the heck is that???) at the gas station I worked at many years ago....always made the sphincter tighten when a 22.5 dump truck tire set to the bead at about 90PSI. I wouldn't trust them even if they were welded.

Mark

Hi: Up here in Canada, I thought all 22.5 truck tires were tubeless, mounted on one-piece rims. No pieces flying, but a cage should still be used. CardaleBob.

While we are on the subject, I have a 1939 F-20 It has 12-36 tires on it with the split rims. Do most of you get rid of the split rim and convert them to a conventional rim or do you just reuse the old split rims? If I were to convert it what all would I need to do? Here are a few photos of what I have.

KodakPictures881-1.jpg

KodakPictures874-1.jpg

My 1941 W-4 has 13.6x24 tyres on the original split rims, no trouble so far. The first WD-6, serial number WBK 516, also on 24" split rims, had a rim let go at The Case and Vintage Vintage Farm Machinery Club's (see http://nzvintagemachinery.com) competition weekend in March. Caused a certain amount of let-down but all operational again in a couple of days.

a 14.9 requires a 13" rim as well.

Good luck finding a 13 inch wide rim. I still have ALL my tire & rim catalogs from FARMALL and there's NO mention of a 13 inch wide rim for a 14.9 X 38 tire for both Firestone & BFG, they spec a DW12 Armstrong & GY show the DW13 with the DW12 as the alternate. All the documentaion I have doesn't show a 13 inch wide rim part number at FARMALL. I don't have an old M/Super M parts book but that would be the last best place to look.

I've looked for new rear rims & tires for my M and all that's available now is a DW12 or DW14. All the old letter series tractors I saw @ RPRU that had 14.9's had them on DW12 rims or widened rims made to whatever width they wanted.

Good luck finding a 13 inch wide rim. I still have ALL my tire & rim catalogs from FARMALL and there's NO mention of a 13 inch wide rim for a 14.9 X 38 tire for both Firestone & BFG, they spec a DW12 Armstrong & GY show the DW13 with the DW12 as the alternate. All the documentaion I have doesn't show a 13 inch wide rim part number at FARMALL. I don't have an old M/Super M parts book but that would be the last best place to look.

I've looked for new rear rims & tires for my M and all that's available now is a DW12 or DW14. All the old letter series tractors I saw @ RPRU that had 14.9's had them on DW12 rims or widened rims made to whatever width they wanted.

Yes when IH started offering 13X38 tires on SM tractors they used the 12 inch rims, used 12 inch on farmall 400 with 13X38 also. On a H it probably depends what the year tractor is, as to what rims and tires were offered. Glancing at a 1947 parts book lists the widest rim as 10 inches. Late H parts books probably list a wider one Dave

Archived