Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IH-Cub-Cadet-man

1600 Loadstar question

I'm looking at a 1966 Loadstar 1600. I haven't seen it in person but according to the owner, its got a 304 V-8 engine with a 5 speed plus 2 speed rearend. What I want to know is the 5x2 a T-17 transmission? Its got a grain bed which is why I'm thinking about buying it, but I don't know how it will handle on our hills. Thanks in advance.

It won't win any speed contests but it will go up any hill with whatever you put in the box, no matter how much it weighs.

Just be careful on the way back down the other side. Old trucks, regardless of make, don't have the brakes or braking capacity new trucks have. If you get going too fast you will have a really hard time slowing back down.

Fuel mileage should average in the 7-10 MPG range.

I have a 78 1600 with the 345 and a 14' steel dump bed and like Mark said, it wins no speed contests, but it gets there. I don't know how it could get 7-10 mpg, mine gets 4-5 mpg with a bigger bore and I would think that the smaller bore would have to work that much harder to carry that weight and therefore burn more fuel.

For some reason the SV304 just gets a whole lot better fuel mileage than the SV345 or SV392.

It may be since it does not have as much HP than the bigger brothers it just doesn't use as much fuel.

It may be since it does not have as much HP we don't expect as much from it and don't push it as hard.

Or it may be that the SV304's with which I have had experience just didn't use as much fuel.

What I do know is in our school buses, the SV304's always got at least one more mile out of every gallon of fuel than the SV345 equipped buses and usually two or more miles per gallon further than the SV392 equipped buses.

Which is how I came up with the guesstimate of 7-10 MPG.

That 7 to 10 mpg should be pretty close to right. I used to average 8 mpg on my 71 1600 with the 304, 4 speed with 2 speed eaton axle. That included hauling 330 bushels grain to town and running home empty 13 miles. Usually 40 mph loaded and 50 coming home empty. Haven't checked it lately as grain hauling is now done by semis. But I suspect it won't be any better on today's gas. Doesn't seem like today's gas has the same energy we used to get in the 80s and 90s. Just my opinion of course.

I have a 70 1600 with a 304 5 speed. 55 is about it, after that stuff is wound pretty tight. I have a 2 speed axle out of short wheel base cab-over 345 truck, so I hope that axle ratio will be better than what I have. If I drive 45 I can get 12mpg. It has absolutly no power and does not like hills.

I bought a 392 to put in it because I want to pull my 5th wheel trailer, Im just afraid what the fuel economy will do.

Two years ago, I bought a 1971 1600 Rollback in Iowa and drove my car out from Indiana to pick it up, then hauled the car home on it. This truck has the 345 with a 4-speed and 2-speed axle. I got right at 8 mpg coming home hauling the car, and like some of you, I felt that 50 to 55 mph had it wound about as tight as I wanted to hear it.

This is a great old truck. It's really fun to drive, I can haul three or four of my tractors on it, and if necessary, in low/low it would pull stumps. I had the seat reupholstered last fall and I hope to get a paint job done this spring.

SteveH