Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1256IHman

1066/Magnum powershift

One more pic. Here ya go Ed, I will let you explain the pictures. Looks like one heck of a project. Am curious as to how what it took to hook the IH engine to the Magnum powertrain?

post-38457-1232039993_thumb.jpg

WOW that is gonna be one awesome machine ,that sure is a great project

what kind of front axle did they used?

keep us posted

Sander

This is an old dream, an IH engine with the power shift transmission of the magnum !!!!!!!!!!!!

One more step would be, ... the front part of a 6588 with the transmission of a 7220, what a project a think, should have to see the ratio for the front axel of the 6588....

WOW that is gonna be one awesome machine ,that sure is a great project

what kind of front axle did they used?

keep us posted

Sander

Looks like a Magnum 2wd axle by the pivot. Might have adapted the std. non metric bolster to the Magnum mount some how. There were a lot of those (center sections) in the bone yard last week.

Thanks for the pics 1256IHman.

Could someone please tell me WHERE this is taking place? I'm sure it's been mentioned here before, but I've forgotten what state this is in. I'd like to see this machine some day.

What will be its purpose? Will it be a show tractor, or a working farm tractor, or both?

What a cool project! Thanks for sharing the pics here.

Rick G.

Looks like a Magnum 2wd axle by the pivot. Might have adapted the std. non metric bolster to the Magnum mount some how. There were a lot of those (center sections) in the bone yard last week.

What about a narrow front on that sucker? I know it would serve no useful purpose but a narrow front on a Magnum would look awesome.

By the way, that is an amazing project you have taken on. Pictures when done please!

I'm trying hard to tell, but it looks to me as though he was able to swap the axles for a 50 series rear axle, because what little of the wheel center hub you can see in the one picture, it sure looks like an IH wheel center to me! Wow, what big rear rubber!

That tractor is so cool! Wow, if that isn't an IH "what if", I dunno what is! :wub:

Looks like a neat project, keep us posted.

I have always wondered if a guy could make the 06,56,66,86 series tractors powershift and increase the hyd capacity(and do it feasibly) how many people would spend the money on their old tractors, rather than by new ones. From a manufacturing stand point I would think there are enough of those old units out there that volume would not be an issue. Just a thought I've had. Maybe it could be marketed like the upgrade kits for combines? Like I said just a thought.

That is just too freakin' cool!! Please keep us posted, I had forgotten about this project... We all like them pictures from time to time!!

I want one!Also curious about the engine bolt up,clutch,etc.

I'm more curious about the size of the rear tires!

Man, if I worked at a big salvage yard, I'd be tempted to build something similar. Good to see someone else had the ability & forethought to take it on, though!

I'm more curious about the size of the rear tires!

Man, if I worked at a big salvage yard, I'd be tempted to build something similar. Good to see someone else had the ability & forethought to take it on, though!

I'm goin to say...650/85R-38's

Tire Size 650/85R38

Load Index 173

Rim Width 23.00

Static Load Radius 36.0

Tread Depth (32nds) 70

Tire Weight 743

Flat Plate 550

Max Tire Load 14300 @ 35

Overall Width 26.2

Overall Diameter 80.9

First off. that looks AWESOME!!!!! I too would take a road trip to see it when it's done.. and of course "maybe" drive it!! :wub:

But I'll also chime in on a couple of questions.... The engine to transmission bolt up is easy! Just take the front plate off of the transmission from a 5088, since the Magnum housings are all IH castings. And, Bulldog Red, there is no engine clutch like on the '86 series and prior.. the clutch is a master wet clutch the same as the 50 series, inside the transmission. The only thing that I had in my mind since the first thought of this project was that it would be even better to be cabless, with a set of '66 flat top fenders.. but that's just me! Keep us updated, Ed!! Thanks!!

Darryn B)

Now that is just way cool. B) I want one to replace my 1086...

I would guess there is a clutch pac in the tranny for "just in case I want front wheel assist''. I can see in the pic the cover isn't on the front bottom of the housing.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just put the motor, radiator , and front end on the front of a magnum rear end that was already together. Like maybe a blown engined Magnum.

There is probably more to the story, fill us in Ed.

30.5 32 rear tires maybe? opps , my bad I see the size now

Sure is going to be cool when finished

815, that's how it works! There is very little retrofitting power train wise... the biggest thing is having the patience of putting the whole project together nicely, which it looks like it is going just like I would do it. ...I would love to do this project!!

Darryn

I got the front end of a 5088 that is coming home to the shed for one of these projects, that is bad -ss , I hope to see that at Madison WI this summer. Thanks for the pictures Danny

Evening All,

Just got back in near the house for the day and so now I'll try to explain what I know about this project. Sorry about the quality of the pictures but he has promised more and better soon!! Some of this story is on another thread on here some where. The young man that started this is a bit of a genius and a real hands on mechanic.

I met him about 10 or 15 years ago and I think he was about 14 at the time and was amazingly adept at mechanical repair. Started his own shop on his dads farm. Did repair work and in general became known for his ability to figure out and fix things. Built his own little business up, till Cummins made him an engine dealer and then Case needed a dealership in his town and they sought him out and made him a dealer. The dealership thing slowed down his work on this project. But he is closing the gap fast now.

Location is Dayton Va. and the name on his dealership was Honeyrun Repair. I think today its operated as a satellite store for Lawrence Equip or something close to that, they are out of Tennesee. His name is Glenn Burkholder and I am pleased to have had the chance to supply a few of the parts for his project. He pretty well had it figured out how he wanted to build it and it was fun to help to get there. Told me he always wanted a power shift 1066! And this is where it led!

He bought the rear end and trans of a 7210, and built a stout version of a LATE 466. He put the engine parts together to make power (his estimate is 275HP) and hold together. Used a set of frame rails and a center plate off of a 5088 we parted here. Front bolster and grill are off of a 1066. Rear wheels are actually IH with a modified wedge system. We took a set of the Steiner repair wedges and cut a key way in them and then opened up the locking area that would have been on the factory wheel to a perfect half round. Adds a neat touch to see the original IH style wheel.

Those rear tires are monstrous and to keep the hood level he used a steering axle off of a 2155 cotton picker we parted out. This axle is the same as a magnum 2wd. You can see that the magnum axle raised the front end quite a bit, but it was needed for this application. For you guys debating about the square front axle on an 86 series here is an example of why it is too tall. Unless you want this big rubber you would want the axle from an 1844 or 2044 picker!! I think I would have preferred it to have a metric bolster and the 88 style square axle with the hole in the center of the square tube. But once started it just went forward with this setup.

Back to the rest of the story, after locating a cab and setting it down onto the tractor it became evident that the proportions were a bit off so the frame was stretched out about ten inches and plans are in place to create a tilt hood!! If you look close you will notice some steel just behind the cast grill housing. He wants to tilt the cast grill and the entire hood with hydraulic cylinders, should be another neat touch!!

Glenn said you are welcome to stop and visit and check the rig out. He plans to have it in the field sometime this spring. One other interesting feature that a lot of the folks in the big valley of VA add to their tractors is the road gear that is found in the European tractors. I think they get 30 mph on 20 x 38's, I imagine the big rubber this thing has will be good for about 40 mpH. Be more fun than a monster truck!!

Guess thats about what I can add tonight. Hope you all enjoy the project!! Sometimes its just fun to think about what might have been!!

ed

Ps I agree it would be neat to have flat fenders or to get rid of the look of a magnum cab but its pretty hard to fab a 66 series look alike and still have the controls of a magnum.

That is very very similar to how I imagined it would look. Just think if this tractor had came out when the 86 series came out. It would have blown the doors off Deere and IH might have had the cash and sales volume to survive the early 1980's. All the good features were on it.

Here's an idea.....if he plans to build a tip forward hood......get a fiberglass grille and hood from the IH tractor pullers. No need to use any gas shocks to help tip it, and all of the weight of grille housing won't be "working againist you" when the grille/hood needs to be tipped back.

The tip forward hoods of todays tractors are plastic to save weight so you don't need a crane to tip them back.

Good to see progress on this being made.

sure like the big rubber looks like 710 - 70 - 38 to me can't wait to see it when finnished

Here's an idea.....if he plans to build a tip forward hood......get a fiberglass grille and hood from the IH tractor pullers. No need to use any gas shocks to help tip it, and all of the weight of grille housing won't be "working againist you" when the grille/hood needs to be tipped back.

The tip forward hoods of todays tractors are plastic to save weight so you don't need a crane to tip them back.

Good to see progress on this being made.

Ken,

I told him that he should do that!! and he said that the tractor is going to need all the weight he can find on the front end and he wanted to do it his way. He is going to use two, two way hydraulic cylinders to do the tilt or at least that was the plan. I want to quizz him about the clutch pac for the front end. I can't remember if he has one or not.

I was just thinking how cool it would look with a big old coleman axle up under the front end!! Course you would have to modifiy the outer ends to something more modern. That will have to be a future project!! A coleman look a like with planetary's and a tight turning radius!! It can be done!! Just gotta figure how.

Thanks

ED

PS while we are talking about this, does anyone have a source for those good light grill housings or a price on one they want to sell??

That is an awesome project. I can't wait to see the results.

The only clue I had as to the project's location was the cardboard box from Carter Cat in the one photo...and that doesn't really prove anything. However, that clue put me in the right state.

Way Cool!! THis is a project that is worthy of Red Power Mag coverage.