UD-236 engine in Galion Grader

DWF

I posted a few weeks ago about a hard starting UD-236. I finally got it here today.

5 of the 6 glow plugs are working. I did take the starter out as it at minimum needs bushings. I read in an old post on the YT site that if the injectors were installed improperly (he said that the glow plug should be above the inector line, not below) that will hinder starting. I was hoping someone could tell me how their injectors were installed. Mine have the glow plugs below the injector line.

Thanks!

Doug

think that is the engine in my 460 diesel. it will fire on a couple cyls, rattle, smoke out the mosquitos, and purr quietly after about a moment. i have a spare head in the barn but havent looked at glow plug placement. f 20

think that is the engine in my 460 diesel. it will fire on a couple cyls, rattle, smoke out the mosquitos, and purr quietly after about a moment. i have a spare head in the barn but havent looked at glow plug placement. f 20

That 236 is the engine that's in the 460. The post on YT is old, but these things don't change. I tried to get one glow plug out, but the fuel line was in the way. if the injector was turned around, the glow plugs would come out easy. Whoever posted on YT was sure this made a difference in starting.

Thanks again!

Doug

Is that a 503 grader? We have one down at work, You have to hold the glow plug button for a long time to get her started. After it starts I hold the glow plugs on a while longer so it smooths out faster. It will start in 10 degree weather though.

Is that a 503 grader? We have one down at work, You have to hold the glow plug button for a long time to get her started. After it starts I hold the glow plugs on a while longer so it smooths out faster. It will start in 10 degree weather though.

Yes it's a 503 Galion. I was on YT Forum yesterday and a guy on a very old post said that if the injector is installed wrong and the glow plugs are below the fuel lines instead of above, this will make it hard to start. I looked at mine and the glow plugs are below the fuel line on the injector. Some of the plugs will be hard to get out as the fuel line is in the way. Oz Farms shows a picture of an injector with the plugs above the fuel line.

It's the same engine as a 460D and similar to a 560D or 656D.

Thanks for the help!

Doug

I just looked in the UB236 parts book at work and the glow plugs definetly go on top. Our grader is a 1967 503A.

I have a 460D and you have to hold the button for the glow plugs in for at least a 30 count and keep it in after it starts till it smooths out.

David

• 2 years later...

we have a 560 diesel and went to 2 12 volt batteries on it from the 2 6 volt ones and it helps a lot. If the batteries are up and good it will start in about any weather if you hold the glow plug in and slowly count to 100. Usually by then if it is hesitant we tie a chain to it and pull it 20 ft with a pickup and it starts up.

Good cold blooded engines. The only engine i can think of that is colder blooded is a 256 ford diesel in a 1112 new holland swather and it can have starting fluid

The tappet clearance according to my manual says .030 both intake and exhaust, cold setting.

The 236 cold starts worse than the 282 because the 236 is a shorter stroke engine. Some of the old posts say that.

DWF

chances are if the injectors are in upside down the pre-cups under the injector are also upside down. I have a 606 diesel,started hard so I pulled the injectors and had them done,managed to get the pre-cups out, 3 were upside down, starts way better............dieselman.

Archived