Steiger VS Versatile

98mxz583

What are your guys opinions on these 2 tractors? I kinda giving up on the 2+2 idea and think these might be a better way to go. I know a lot of guys dont like either motor but i'm not real afraid of the 3208 but don't know much about the 555 cummins. Is the 3208 a turbo? What about trans? Are the both 10 speeds or is the versatile a different animal? Are the axles in both good? Anything I missed? Both tractors will be a little overkill but they both have 3pt and the versa has a pto. Thanks for the help guys.

I would be afraid of the 3208 unless its a 03z serial number.. Wich it won't be in that old of a tractor... Complete boat anchor of a throw away sleeveless engine... If you don't want a 2+2 get you a 4386 ... DTI466 doesn't get much better than that..

well the triple nickel cummins are getting hard to get parts for,and expensive to repair.agree on the 3208,throwaway motor.

HA! talking about 555 cummins and look at my post count for the last thread! :D

Thats funny!!!!

I would be afraid of the 3208 unless its a 03z serial number.. Wich it won't be in that old of a tractor... Complete boat anchor of a throw away sleeveless engine... If you don't want a 2+2 get you a 4386 ... DTI466 doesn't get much better than that..

I just happen to know of a guy that has a 4386 and it just happens to be for sale too! PM me.

I know of a 555 V that is a super nice tractor that has set for over 10 years because of differential troubles on both ends . It can be bought cheap but with a 555 turbo cum a part and rear troubles I would stay clear from them. The 555 V has a axle like a tractor with no outboard planetary like it's big brother and I think it has a 15 sp trans. . The steigers around here with the 3208's seem to run for ever and 3208's are plentiful in New Holland combines, or how about a DT466 if the 3208 pukes :D We had a old 145 with a 555 that ran perfect till it slipped a sleeve and came to a halt in about 10 ft ,oh ya about wore my fingers out rolling ear plugs too :wacko: . Now the 145 has a 300 cummins , slow and over powered :rolleyes:

555 is a bit of a toss up. Tractor wise unless it's a powershift is a solid tractor. I'm not a huge fan of any v block diesel though. Some guys have had pretty good luck with them others have had nothing but grief. Every versatile has outboard planetarys right from a 118 all the way up threw. Unless your talking something differant. 875 is a 12 sp std. 4 and 3 I believe. We own one but I've never been threw all the gears and only drive it maybe 50 hours a year. I don't konw for sure what transmision is in the 555 but I'd assume it's pretty similar if not the same on as it's big brothers. I've seen some conversions where they've swaped out the 555 cummins for a 8.3 lt cummins. Looks nice and neat and I imagine would work okay. Torque might not be as good but It'll still pull a pretty good load.

Never had much to do with the older stiegers so can't be of much help there at all. Same story with motors though, I know that much for sure. Some guys have good luck with them others have nothing but bad. Depends allot on thier history I guess.

Ryan

Id get the 2+2. The 555 and the steiger are too small to be big and too big to be small. For the money the anteater is a more usable tractor. you have 3pt pto that work right. Don't forget that the big 4X4's dont have draft control. And with the 2+2 you the ability to rowcrop if need be. Parts are a whole lot cheaper than for the triple nickel or the 320crap in the versy or the Steiger. I have had all three and as much as i loathe the 2+2 I say it's the best buy for the buck. your horsepower is the same. if you go with the 35/65/37/6788 Regardles of wich of the three you still have ujoints and hinge pins and with the IH you stand a better chance of the AC and lights working. and you can hear at the end of the day. those V 8 4X4s are loud and crude and hard on a man.

remember Bier rule 4. If it's cheap,it's for a reason and you didn't find a bargain.

Later,

Will

555 is a bit of a toss up. Tractor wise unless it's a powershift is a solid tractor. I'm not a huge fan of any v block diesel though. Some guys have had pretty good luck with them others have had nothing but grief. Every versatile has outboard planetarys right from a 118 all the way up threw. Unless your talking something differant. 875 is a 12 sp std. 4 and 3 I believe. We own one but I've never been threw all the gears and only drive it maybe 50 hours a year. I don't konw for sure what transmision is in the 555 but I'd assume it's pretty similar if not the same on as it's big brothers. I've seen some conversions where they've swaped out the 555 cummins for a 8.3 lt cummins. Looks nice and neat and I imagine would work okay. Torque might not be as good but It'll still pull a pretty good load.

Never had much to do with the older stiegers so can't be of much help there at all. Same story with motors though, I know that much for sure. Some guys have good luck with them others have nothing but bad. Depends allot on thier history I guess.

Ryan

Hey Ryan take another look ! A 555 DON'T have outboard plantarys . It has hubs on a keyed axle like a smaller tractor . http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/detai...177F549662736A4

If your choosing between a 555 Versatile or a Bearcat Steiger, I think I'd lean more towards a Steiger. Here's why: The 555 Cummins can be hard to get parts for, where the 3208 is still plentiful. The 555 Versatile has a hydrualic clutch which these days means it's expensive. Another fact is the Versatile has inboard planetaries with stub axles that I'd imagine is quite expensive too.

Hate to say it, but the 555 is kinda the red headed step-child, when it comes to Versatiles. It is very different compared to the 8 or 9 series. Where the Bearcat still follows Steiger tradition as compared to the bigger ones. Ideally if you really want to acquire a tough machine look for a 225 Bearcat with a 3306 Cat. They made them and we farmed with one. Very hard to beat.

i dunno what the situation is with Cummins in the states regarding V-555 spares

but down here, Cummins dont even supply waterpump parts for the V-555,VT-190 , FIL has a Versatile 555 and needed a waterpump kit, eventually tracked him down 1 thru a firm that supplies Red Aussie with engine parts, shafts ,impellors that they actually have made

strangely enough, the V-555 that was fitted to trucks has a lighter water bearings than the VT-190, which has the same pump that is fitted to the versatile 555, only thing i can think of, is the fan in the V-555 in accos is crankmounted, VT-190 & the tractor have the fan on the waterpump

saw a VT-190 torn down 1 day, after looking at the length of the liner , i remarked to the mechanic that my windmill has a longer stroke than that thing :blink:

Hi SGR, thanks for clearing it up, I honestly thought they were all outboard planetary drive as that's all I've ever had to do with them.

I know the 555 haven't been the most desireble tractor to own up here but always thought it was because of the motor. Maybe there's more to it afterall.

Ryan

I'd take the bearcat for drawbar work as the 555 engine is expensive to fix.We put 6500 hr on a 555 versitile before something happened to 1 piston. The 555 was a good pto tractor but not A drawbar work horse like a 875/895 or the stigers. We had some hyd clutch &trany trouble but found some oil ports were not drilled . They were only Versitile with the 15 speed as far as I know;others were 12 except for PS's

When I worked at the truck shop, we used to see some V-555, VT-555 & 903's. It seemed that that the V-555's were okay, other than what was mentioned about parts are getting hard to get. The VT-555, that is a 555 with a turbo were complete junk. I think that may be where the name cum-a-part came from.

Speaking as a former mechanic from a dealership which sold Versatiles.

I always considered Versatiles as primitive, cheap, horsepower, but the 555 was positively prehistoric, and extremely hard to work on, due to some of Versatile's engineering features.

However, the lead mechanic at the time, who is presently shop foreman at another of this dealership's stores, had been a IH/Steiger mechanic at a dealership, and he considered Versatile to be a cut above Steiger.

Note and Disclaimer: I am extremely biased against any and all Versatiles.

I always considered Versatiles as primitive, cheap, horsepower, but the 555 was positively prehistoric, and extremely hard to work on, due to some of Versatile's engineering features.

However, the lead mechanic at the time, who is presently shop foreman at another of this dealership's stores, had been a IH/Steiger mechanic at a dealership, and he considered Versatile to be a cut above Steiger.

We currently own a 945 Versatile and a 9370 Quadtrac Steiger. I know they aren't made even in the same decade but the predecessor to the 9370 was built about the same year as the Versatile. After working on each, I'd say a guy would have to be nuts to buy a Versatile. Hardest tractor we own to work on. I can wiggle between the bottom of the cab and top of the transmission on the 9370 and can't even see the transmission on the Versatile. Knowing that the engines are basically the same(855 and N14) I can see the ground around the engine from the cab in the Steiger and the Versatile's frame rails dang near touch the engine.

We currently own a 945 Versatile and a 9370 Quadtrac Steiger. I know they aren't made even in the same decade but the predecessor to the 9370 was built about the same year as the Versatile. After working on each, I'd say a guy would have to be nuts to buy a Versatile. Hardest tractor we own to work on. I can wiggle between the bottom of the cab and top of the transmission on the 9370 and can't even see the transmission on the Versatile. Knowing that the engines are basically the same(855 and N14) I can see the ground around the engine from the cab in the Steiger and the Versatile's frame rails dang near touch the engine.

Maybe that tech was thinking job security. :lol:

• 1 year later...

Stay clear of the 555. A neighbour has one and its been sitting beside my shed for 2 years now while he decides if he should spend close to $9,000.00 to fix it or sell it to a wrecker ( I know what I would do :rolleyes: ) His engine broke the crank while he was pulling the grin cart and the transmission needs the master clutch carrier which we cant seem to find anywhere as well as it should be totally rebearringed.

I wouldnt be scared of the Steiger, there are plenty of them around our area and most of them are still doing heavy work. The ones with the 3208 engines are holding together just fine, the big secert there is dont lug them down, pick a lower gear. I had a Super Wildcat with a 3150 Cat engine and used it to pull a 21 ft double disc and 50 ft heavey harrow bar as well as 30 ft of deep tillage cultivator and a 8 yard scraper. Never missed a beat and as far as I know its still going strong out in Alberta pushing snow on the oil leases now.

The 835, 855, 875 and 895 tractors are head and shoulders above the 555 for reliabilaty and parts availabilaty. They use the tried tested and trusted 855 cummins engine and outboard planataries. The transmissions are good but can become hard to shift after the hours get up there especally if they have a blade on them but dont usually give much trouble. The company I work for had a 835 with 16 ft blade on for snow removal. It had over 17,000 hours on it and was well used and abused but still did its job faithfully up untill the day it was replaced with a front wheel assist which is cursed at regularly now :angry: . The 835 went to auction without the blade and still brought $12,500.00 :o .

If you could find one, I think you would like a case IH 9230

Around 230 hp, small steiger built tractor.

We used to have a 9230. One of the nicest tractors we ever owned.

Had it set up on 18.4 x 38 radials and we used it to row crop with a 12 row tool bar on the 3 point.

Great driving tractor, easy to keep on the rows, and that little Cummins had great power.

The power shift took some getting used to. It was a bit jumpy going up through the gears.

Great visability out front and back.

Very smooth ride. Quiet cab with comfortable seat and controls.

Liked that tractor very much.

Archived