Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hoodeleydoo

R200 truck

Hi guys,

anyone familiar with R-200's? I saw a firetruck for sale the other day. It has all wheel drive. but couldnt find out the engine. not sure what year either.

I have a call into the seller but haven't heard back.

thanks!

most of the bigger R models had red diamonds in them. i bought an R-202 on ebay a while back, and its got an RD-450 in it. i would venture to say so would yours :D

My listing for stock engines in the R200 model is;

1953 - 66 is RD406

1967 - 68 is RD450

I am sure a firetruck could have its engine ordered as an option?

mike

thanks guys,

how are those engines in perfromance and parts???

I also heard the cummins 220 was common. no evidence but whatever.

we'll see.

thanks again for the help

The RD200 model Cummins engine was ;

1953 - 60 as JS-6

1965 - 68 as C-160

mike

I have an R-200 single axle dump truck and it has the RD406. I only use it around the farm and it isn't over powered that's for sure. :D With a big load of dirt it isn't too hard to stall it out in 1st low range going up a pretty good grade. I either have to watch how much I put in the back or keep my speed up. Mine is an early '50's by the folding door handles it came with before I swicthed the doors but does have air brakes. I have the greatest respect for anyone who drove one of these for a living "back in the day". It's better than a bowflex for a good upper body workout anyday. :lol:

I have an R-200 single axle dump truck and it has the RD406. I only use it around the farm and it isn't over powered that's for sure. :D With a big load of dirt it isn't too hard to stall it out in 1st low range going up a pretty good grade. I either have to watch how much I put in the back or keep my speed up. Mine is an early '50's by the folding door handles it came with before I swicthed the doors but does have air brakes. I have the greatest respect for anyone who drove one of these for a living "back in the day". It's better than a bowflex for a good upper body workout anyday. :lol:

built in the days when men were men............ :D

yea, there is a video on youtube about shifting them. looks fun also looks like a nightmare if your on a hill, in traffic, stressed out, tired, and loaded......

there are a couple other videos on shifting the older trucks.

never drove one like that. the most complicated I drove was 5 speed with 2 speed rear.

and their women were too :lol::lol: ....James

yea, there is a video on youtube about shifting them. looks fun also looks like a nightmare if your on a hill, in traffic, stressed out, tired, and loaded......

never drove one like that. the most complicated I drove was 5 speed with 2 speed rear.

Summers back in the mid-70's I hauled ready-mix for a local company....first year ('75) I had a '74 Diamond-REO with 555 Cum-a-part & Allison A/T with 3-speed aux. box, Direct, 10% O/D, & at least a 2:1 reduction for the low hole. The following summer I had the pleasure of running a '66 White w/ 165 Cummins & 5+4 transmission. That was FUN.....if You had four hands & arms and at least three legs! Couple places where We hauled regularly We had hills You hit the bottom wide open doing 35-40 MPH depending on traffic wound-up against the governor in about 4th in the main and top hole in the aux. and within about 1/4 mile at the top of the hill You were in 2nd in the main (if You were lucky!) and either 2nd or 3rd in the aux. Low in the aux. was a real underdrive....You never used it on pavement! And You'd be doing maybe 8-10 mph with an ever increasing string of cars stacking up behind You.

I read these diesel pickup forums now days where these Guys all think they need 350-400+ HP to tow their campers, etc. but there's just something about making 150-160 HP get the job done in a 50,000+ pound truck they haven't quite figured out! We could run 60-65 empty @ 22,000-23,000#, 50-55 loaded, and when We got to the pour and drove off-road the Brownie got stuck in the low hole until You were empty @ washed out and back on the road!

thanks guys,

how are those engines in perfromance and parts???

I also heard the cummins 220 was common. no evidence but whatever.

we'll see.

thanks again for the help

We had an old IH fire truck with a Cummins 220 at the Shell Refinery where I retired from.

and their women were too :lol::lol: ....James

ROFLMAO

Ii got a 2 59 R190s a all wheel drive brush truck with a 450 engine a real beast Wont turn too sharp and 45 as a top speed downhill with a tailwind In low range she pulls like a Steiger Thristy The other truck is a 59 ten wheeler with a 450 slow but sure I bought a 53R210 road tractor with a 501 sleeveless The guy who had before me put headers on it and straight pipes ROARS down the road will pass everything except the fillin station Dumped 5 gal in it and ran out of gas after a 1/2 hour of idling

Ii got a 2 59 R190s a all wheel drive brush truck with a 450 engine a real beast Wont turn too sharp and 45 as a top speed downhill with a tailwind In low range she pulls like a Steiger Thristy The other truck is a 59 ten wheeler with a 450 slow but sure I bought a 53R210 road tractor with a 501 sleeveless The guy who had before me put headers on it and straight pipes ROARS down the road will pass everything except the fillin station Dumped 5 gal in it and ran out of gas after a 1/2 hour of idling

got any pics of the AWD??

i ran across a front end and transfer case not to long ago on ebay but didn buy it since my truck has a 5+3 in it and didnt know if id have enough room for a transfer case behind two tranny's :lol::blink:

i ran across a front end and transfer case not to long ago on ebay but didn buy it since my truck has a 5+3 in it and didnt know if id have enough room for a transfer case behind two tranny's :lol::blink:

Hello all , Did you get it home yet :P ??? Boomer

Hello all , Did you get it home yet :P ??? Boomer

should be home around mid october. my friend is driving out to Phoenix to see family, and i talked him into taking my trailer and bringing it back for me. pretty strange, truck cost 100 bux, but the trucking will cost 500 :blink::lol::lol:

Well the owner wants 3500.00 for it. Hasn't driven more than a mile or two since he had it. Doesnt really know anything about it, how to drive it etc. all he knows it is gasoline engine "a 3something" and said the "Previous owner said it ran great". hasent moved from his parking lot since 2003.

I am going to have to pass on it and try to get the fleetstar I am looking at. the R200 too many unknowns and too much money - especially to convert to a dump truck. Who knows, maybe the fleetstar deal will fall thru and the guy would take around 1500 for the R200.

we'll see

thanks again guys!

My L-190 came from the factory with a Red Diamond 372 and a 5 speed tranny. It came from the Leamington Ontario area...flat as a pancake. I wouldn't want to drive that sucker in hilly areas....at least without lots of experience...oh yeah, hydraulic brakes too... :P:blink: I bought a low mile Super Red Diamond 450 for it, but the 1/2" fuel line to the carb scares me a little..hehe. The plan is to install a 6-71 Detroit and a 10 speed Eaton tranny since I don't have a 2 speed rear. Hey, it sound like fun anyways.

Darryn B)

DOC - I'd be scared too if an IH engine had 1/2" dia. fuel line.....the old gas Binder I drove, think it was a Fleetstar 2070 maybe, with 478 cid V-8 only had 1/4" or 5/16" fuel line and would only get 3 to 3-1/2 mpg.... gald I wasn't buying the gas! I was surprised that small of gas line could move that much gas so fast. :D

Hi guys,

anyone familiar with R-200's? I saw a firetruck for sale the other day. It has all wheel drive. but couldnt find out the engine. not sure what year either.

I have a call into the seller but haven't heard back.

thanks!

I have a 59 R 200 Tilt W/461 & a 5 With 2 speed rear end.

Also a 53 R 210 w/contental U6501 Motor.

DOC - I'd be scared too if an IH engine had 1/2" dia. fuel line....

No kidding! Instead of MPG, you are probably looking at GPM, gallons per mile :lol:

Summers back in the mid-70's I hauled ready-mix for a local company....first year ('75) I had a '74 Diamond-REO with 555 Cum-a-part & Allison A/T with 3-speed aux. box, Direct, 10% O/D, & at least a 2:1 reduction for the low hole. The following summer I had the pleasure of running a '66 White w/ 165 Cummins & 5+4 transmission. That was FUN.....if You had four hands & arms and at least three legs! Couple places where We hauled regularly We had hills You hit the bottom wide open doing 35-40 MPH depending on traffic wound-up against the governor in about 4th in the main and top hole in the aux. and within about 1/4 mile at the top of the hill You were in 2nd in the main (if You were lucky!) and either 2nd or 3rd in the aux. Low in the aux. was a real underdrive....You never used it on pavement! And You'd be doing maybe 8-10 mph with an ever increasing string of cars stacking up behind You.

I read these diesel pickup forums now days where these Guys all think they need 350-400+ HP to tow their campers, etc. but there's just something about making 150-160 HP get the job done in a 50,000+ pound truck they haven't quite figured out! We could run 60-65 empty @ 22,000-23,000#, 50-55 loaded, and when We got to the pour and drove off-road the Brownie got stuck in the low hole until You were empty @ washed out and back on the road!

555 Cum apart :D , now that's funny !