Cummins, CNH end diesel-engine venture

Glenn-WV

I doubt we will notice much difference right away now Fiat Powertrain will still use some of the cummins engines in their NEF line. I herd some talk of all new engines for a MX replacement so this is prolly a step towards it Who knows might even get that huge 20 L V8 C.R. TAA engine that runs 650 hp

It's too bad to hear that, those CDC engines have been industry leaders for over 20 years now and especially the 5.9 will be a very hard engine to replace. I think the 5.9L series of engines will probably go down in history as the best or at least one of the best medium duty diesel engines ever built.

Well it seems cummins is the last true engine builder any how plus it makes sense for them to buy it out. Since they got new engines on the way and they seem to have the emissions figured out more so than the rest so i am sure they can use the plant. If i am not mistaken Maxxforce Plant in Huntsville used to be a cummins plant

What is driving this change?

Is the B-series engine at the end of its practical life and now a new clean sheet design is needed? Or, are there more mergers of equipment and truck builders on the horizon and this was the first part of divestment?

Is the B-series engine at the end of its practical life and now a new clean sheet design is needed? Or, are there more mergers of equipment and truck builders on the horizon and this was the first part of divestment?

The 6.7L engine already meets the 2010 on road emission standards so I think we will see it around for along time yet. My guess is that CNH is going to switch over to Iveco engines since they are a sister company under Fiat and this will let Cummins have control over the B series since they would have been selling most of them as Cummins engines anyway. I don't know how many B series engines have been sold over the years but I know Dodge has sold over a million of them just in pickups.

The 6.7L engine already meets the 2010 on road emission standards so I think we will see it around for along time yet. My guess is that CNH is going to switch over to Iveco engines since they are a sister company under Fiat and this will let Cummins have control over the B series since they would have been selling most of them as Cummins engines anyway. I don't know how many B series engines have been sold over the years but I know Dodge has sold over a million of them just in pickups.

Agco is already doing the same thing. They own SISU so thats the engine of choice for them in their combines and tractors as long as Sisu has an engine that meets the hp requirements. My new combine has a Cat because Sisu only offers up to around 400hp.

I can't really blame them or CNH for doing it. Why buy someone elses engines when you own a company that makes them.

Thanks for the info, guys. The Cummins engine's low emissions seemed certain that it would hang around for a while and why the parting of ways between Iveco and Cummins is curious.

How much difference is there between a 4.5L/6.7L ISB Cummins and a 4.5L/6.7L New Holland/CaseIH/Iveco? Are the Cummins and Iveco completely different engines?

Sure would be great to see International start supplying engines to Case-IH,think what a statement that would make to John Deere and former red guys who are now green!

I think International is really pushing to be a world wide company it would make sense to join CNH. But CNH has in house engine production so it just cheaper for it to stay in than to buy them out of house. It makes me wonder though if Iveco will Produce all engine ranges for North America in the US?

805southern works for cummins, maybe andy can comment on this

It sure would be nice to see a DT 466 (Maxx Force 7) or DT570 (Maxx Force 9) in a Magnum. It would be a real show stealer with a bit of chrome on it. Imagine a Magnum with a binder engine in it once again. I might even think about one if it had the real Mccoy under the hood. No European engines for me. Thanks but no thanks to Iveco engines. They may be good but I wouldn't want one.

ivecos are great engines from my experience with the 8010. have had lots of 5.9's 3.9's aload of 8.3's and a 6.7 in my dodge ISB 5.9 in our rogator is in pieces right now. entire engine had to bored to fix it no sleeves **** I'd rather have a old DT466 at least it had sleeves.

Archived