A truck for kjohn

Howard_P

Recently this beast came through the Manheim Vehicle Auction in Fort Wayne where I presently work. It's a Western Star 6964S, 138,000 GCW, Cat 3406 425 hp. I'd guess it to be 12' wide and 12' high. The rear view is in our entrance lane where it took up two lanes as you can tell by the two trailers ahead of it.

post-425-1213585049_thumb.jpg post-425-1213585112_thumb.jpg

holy buckets thats a big end dump :blink: set two of those frieghtshakers in there and probably not even break a sweat :lol:

As I recall, this came from a dealer in the Chicago area and I imagined it may have come from something like the large quarry that I-80 crosses just east of the I-294 split although there was nothing to indicate the previous owner.

We see a lot of Western Star tractors at the auction, out of proportion to the actual number sold it would seem to me. The best explanation I have come up with is that these are owner-operator trucks and there is probably a higher turnover of OO's vs. larger fleets and when they go under, the trucks end up at auction.

My friend that took Me over to Rock Island, IL to the IL DOT License office to get My semi Chauffer's license back in about 1982 told Me driving a semi was about like driving a railroad train down the highway. In THAT trucks case it's EXACTLY like that! I'd already had a chauffer's license for almost 10 yrs but it was only good for single axle & tandem/tri's & quad's....nothing that "Bent in the middle"

I bet the cab on that tractor is nice & roomy! :D

Now that is a real truck! Handy for hauling stuff off the garden! :P:P Thanks Howard!!

Archived