Another Rare IH

Howard_P

Here's another low volume IH model to go with the Sightliner and Super Transtar. The Conco (CONventional-CO) used the Conventional 42-4300 cab mounted so that it could tilt with a very short hood that opened for minor service access and had to be opened to tilt the cab. The cab was also mounted offset to the left so the driver had a better view around trucks ahead of him. Production started in March, 1974 at San Leandro and ended when San Leandro closed in December, 1974. It's likely the production numbers were about that of the Super Transtar. This one is owned by George Mitchell, the International Dealer in Stony Ridge (Toledo), OH and is used for hauling his other old trucks to shows.

post-425-1213456263_thumb.jpg

Here's a picture of the Conco hood in the open position.

post-425-1213456527_thumb.jpg

Here's another low volume IH model to go with the Sightliner and Super Transtar. The Conco (CONventional-CO) used the Conventional 42-4300 cab mounted so that it could tilt with a very short hood that opened for minor service access and had to be opened to tilt the cab. The cab was also mounted offset to the left so the driver had a better view around trucks ahead of him. Production started in March, 1974 at San Leandro and ended when San Leandro closed in December, 1974. It's likely the production numbers were about that of the Super Transtar. This one is owned by George Mitchell, the International Dealer in Stony Ridge (Toledo), OH and is used for hauling his other old trucks to shows.

used to see one of those on I 94 east of St.Paul I believe Indianhead Transport owned it was pulling a tanker

Interesting, never seen one before. Howard, have you ever seen any of the Unistar trucks? I've read about them but never seen one. I guess that they were very low production as well?

Interesting, never seen one before. Howard, have you ever seen any of the Unistar trucks? I've read about them but never seen one. I guess that they were very low production as well?

I did see a Unistar in the Road Test department, never saw one on the highway (in the mountains of Indiana!) I think their only use was in the Sierra Mountains where at times they were allowed to run without chaining up. I doubt if there were more than 50 or so of them built.

I did get to see the Turbostar occasionally too as it ran around Fort Wayne. Saw the Ford turbine version once running down US-30 in Fort Wayne.

Both the Unistar and the Turbostar had the 4 or 5" raised cab that was discussed with the Super Transtar. This became standard in the Transtar II models.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What engine does it have?

Archived