Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JD Humm

CXT siteing

I was heading east on the highway from our town to KC and saw something coming up in my rear view, didn't pay much attention but could see it was an International truck. It passed me and then got my FULL ATTENTION!! It was a brand new CXT! It was white in color, I did not think white was an option but this one sure as **** was white. It looked real good, too. Made my big bad F250 powerstroke look like a toy! Will have to ask around and see if it belongs to someone local.

I was heading east on the highway from our town to KC and saw something coming up in my rear view, didn't pay much attention but could see it was an International truck.  It passed me and then got my FULL ATTENTION!!  It was a brand new CXT!  It was white in color, I did not think white was an option but this one sure as **** was white.  It looked real good, too.  Made my big bad F250 powerstroke look like a toy!  Will have to ask around and see if it belongs to someone local.

J.D. Sounds like this is going to be the new sport on the highway for IH fans- -looking for a CXT and other new models from ITE ( International Truck and Engine) ; never thought about that need but to keep on the look-out! Just saw a posting on the IH forum from Richard Lantis, gee another IH fan I missed during my hyatis. I was in KC area over the Easter holidays of course had to go the Cabelas and to an Irish pub near there afterwards-a " German American " in an Irish pub-go figure.

Bud W.

I was heading east on the highway from our town to KC and saw something coming up in my rear view, didn't pay much attention but could see it was an International truck.  It passed me and then got my FULL ATTENTION!!  It was a brand new CXT!  It was white in color, I did not think white was an option but this one sure as **** was white.  It looked real good, too.  Made my big bad F250 powerstroke look like a toy!  Will have to ask around and see if it belongs to someone local.

J.D. Sounds like this is going to be the new sport on the highway for IH fans- -looking for a CXT and other new models from ITE ( International Truck and Engine) ; never thought about that need but to keep on the look-out! Just saw a posting on the IH forum from Richard Lantis, gee another IH fan I missed during my hyatis. I was in KC area over the Easter holidays of course had to go the Cabelas and to an Irish pub near there afterwards-a " German American " in an Irish pub-go figure.

Bud W.

Bud, where I saw this new "pickup" was just a couple of miles to the west of Cabellas on 24 40 highway. Give me a shout next time you come this way.

Bud W.

Bud, where I saw this new "pickup" was just a couple of miles to the west of Cabellas on 24 40 highway. Give me a shout next time you come this way.

i went to get parts on irving blvd. , the navistar truck dealer has a new one on the lot .havent seen one on the road though.

I bet they didn't have On Star in the CXT and got lost trying to find J.D.'s house for delivery............. :D

I bet they didn't have On Star in the CXT and got lost trying to find J.D.'s house for delivery............. :D

Don't I just wish that were true!! :(

It was a beastly looking rig, that's for sure, and would fit in my inventory REAL WELL!! :D

I think one of thoes CXT and a big GN would be the perfect thing to haul a big load of RED to the roundup :):) Havn't got to see one in person yet.

Jeremy

J.D. Humm wrote:  It was white in color, I did not think white was an option but this one sure as **** was white. 

J.D., all I've been able to observe over the past few years in visiting the local dealerships and looking at my brochures and spec sheets is that some paint manufacturer must be selling a lot of white paint. Seems that the standard color on Mack, International, Ford trucks is white. A lot of cars seem to be the same, especially the little Japanese ones.

I don't know the reason for all this propensity for white, but I imagine it may be that the mfgrs can buy white paint cheaper. It surely can't be because of everybody out in consumer-land all of a sudden wanting white. I for one don't like white. It has no character and when it gets the least bit dirty it looks so dingy.

Guest Old Rusty Farmall
I think one of thoes CXT and a big GN would be the perfect thing to haul a big load of RED to the roundup :)  :)  Havn't got to see one in person yet.

Jeremy

I wouldn't get your hopes up FP unless you plan on going to the cities, No one round here is goin' ta shell out that kinda money, especialy when their workin' for only $5.15 an hour... Fergus Falls might be slighty better economicly though,

ORF

I think one of thoes CXT and a big GN would be the perfect thing to haul a big load of RED to the roundup :)  :)  Havn't got to see one in person yet.

Jeremy

Jeremy, you'd have to get a custom made trailer. the floor of the bed of this truck is well over 4 feet off the ground. Factor in the height of the bed walls, and now think of how high of a goose neck you would need to clear the walls. Even if you put a flatbead on it, you'd still need a custom trailer as even that would be much higher than a normal truck bed!!

Mark

I think one of thoes CXT and a big GN would be the perfect thing to haul a big load of RED to the roundup   :)  :)  Havn't got to see one in person yet.

Jeremy

Jeremy, you'd have to get a custom made trailer. the floor of the bed of this truck is well over 4 feet off the ground. Factor in the height of the bed walls, and now think of how high of a goose neck you would need to clear the walls. Even if you put a flatbead on it, you'd still need a custom trailer as even that would be much higher than a normal truck bed!!

Mark

In other words, Binder, it is as I have been maintaining all along about this particular truck..it is a useless POS aimed at the "mine is bigger than yore'n" segment of the population (read: those with more money than brains, the kind that live in the big cities and drive Cadillac SUVs even though there are only two adults who will ever be riding around gulping gas and tying up traffic in them).

Jeremy

Mark

Well yeah, but it'd be COOL. Actually with a flatbed, it probably wouldn't be any mean feat. Look at the 5th wheel hookups on most campers. And it should be approximately the same height as the 5th wheel on a normal Semi-tractor.

chads

IMO. i dont see a viable use for one of these things...you'd need one **** of a drop hitch for a bumper hitch trailer....and i dont care much at all for bumper hitch trailers....Chad makes a good point...these trucks should have the same height for a 5th wheel like a little semi tractor, which wouldnt be all bad. but if thats the case. could just buy an actual little single axle semi tractor and put a flat bed on it for cheaper than the cost of the CXT....but the CXT is nicer inside im sure. but maybe the dollar factor will cancell that out.

another thought. ACTUALLY. if someone had a straight truck in the new Navistar style....they might find a wrecked ford dually and African American Engineer the box onto it and have a home-made CXT with less money in it. im sure someone will do it. AHH if i only had time and money...mostly money...money can buy time.

Shawn

IMO. i dont see a viable use for one of these things...you'd need one **** of a drop hitch for a bumper hitch trailer....and i dont care much at all for bumper hitch trailers....Chad makes a good point...these trucks should have the same height for a 5th wheel like a little semi tractor, which wouldnt be all bad. but if thats the case. could just buy an actual little single axle semi tractor and put a flat bed on it for cheaper than the cost of the CXT....but the CXT is nicer inside im sure. but maybe the dollar factor will cancell that out.

another thought. ACTUALLY. if someone had a straight truck in the new Navistar style....they might find a wrecked ford dually and African American Engineer the box onto it and have a home-made CXT with less money in it. im sure someone will do it. AHH if i only had time and money...mostly money...money can buy time.

Shawn

Have seen a couple FL's done that way.

Chads

Well yeah, but it'd be COOL.  Actually  with a flatbed, it probably wouldn't be any mean feat.  Look at the 5th wheel hookups on most campers.  And it should be approximately the same height as the 5th wheel on a normal Semi-tractor.

chads

Actually Chad, it would still be a bit higher. Like I said, the floor of the bed is OVER 4 feet high. So if you put a 5th wheel hitch on a 4' high frame, the top of the hitchplate will be several more inches high. On a friend's Pete with 24.5" drive tires, the hitch plate is 44". That's 4" under 4'. Just checked Holland Hitch's website. The lowest 5th wheel hitch they make is 5.6" tall. So to put a 4th wheel hitch directly on the frame of a CTX, it'll be 10" higher than on a semi. I wouldn't want to tip a flatbed w/ a beavetail that much! And if you want to just use a plain gooseneck, you still need to customize the trailer, even if you put on a flatbed. It's just a bunch taller than a regular pickup bed.

Mark

Mark

I talked to a rancher who bought a few bulls from a guy in Texas and the guy who hauled them up had a new CXT and a large GN cattle trailer, he said the guy was very pleased with it compared to what he was using before. Couldn't you use a regular GN flat bed and modify the Gn part so it would reach the CXT hitch ?

Jeremy

J.D. Humm wrote:  It was white in color, I did not think white was an option but this one sure as **** was white. 

J.D., all I've been able to observe over the past few years in visiting the local dealerships and looking at my brochures and spec sheets is that some paint manufacturer must be selling a lot of white paint. Seems that the standard color on Mack, International, Ford trucks is white. A lot of cars seem to be the same, especially the little Japanese ones.

I don't know the reason for all this propensity for white, but I imagine it may be that the mfgrs can buy white paint cheaper. It surely can't be because of everybody out in consumer-land all of a sudden wanting white. I for one don't like white. It has no character and when it gets the least bit dirty it looks so dingy.

There is a theory in dealerships about white being a "neutral color" almost anybody can live with it whereas other colors are either love em or hate em. They also lend themselves to repaint later on and can go more readily to another color. Kind of dull though.

BTW: Forgot to add that white does tend to be one of the cheaper colors too.

I could hardly believe it but yesterday I saw a red Ford, a new 650 0r 750 with dual wheels and an F350 pickup box on it. Someone has made their own "Super, Super Duty". It looked really good, it was coming at me on the highway. Sounds like some people have money for some big toys.

Are they running somthing bigger than the 466 in them? I was thinking they had a 466 but was told by a nieghbor that it is bigger cubes than that, is this true?

Are they running somthing bigger than the 466 in them? I was thinking they had a 466 but was told by a nieghbor that it is bigger cubes than that, is this true?

According to Navistar's website, it's got a 466 in it.

Mark

Wes, you're correct; white is the least-expensive color of paint. Such is why many trucks and vans in fleets are white. The pigments for the other colors are more expensive, and the cost goes up when you add metalflake paint into the mix. The triple-coat white is the most expensive, though.

Ford offered a unique color on the Mustang Cobra called "Mystichrome," which has unique pigments in it. The pigments actually reflect different colors based on the color and the angle of the light hitting it. Colors that could be seen include emerald green, violet blue, magenta, burgundy, amber, and dark brown. It was a rather expensive option. ;)

http://www.fast-autos.net/ford/fordmystichrome.html

According to Navistar's website, it's got a 466 in it.

Mark

Thanks thats what I thought.

I could hardly believe it but yesterday I saw a red Ford, a new 650 0r 750 with dual wheels and an F350 pickup box on it.  Someone has made their own "Super, Super Duty".  It looked really good, it was coming at me on the highway.  Sounds like some people have money for some big toys.

Both Ford and GMC were displaying their own versions of the CXT, or really the RXT, the 2WD version which is considerably lower, at the Lousiville Truck Show. GMC also had a 4WD version that was the same height at the 2WD.

Before you groan too much about the impracticality of the CXT, remember that you are watching one of the larger practical jokes being played on the trucking world by International. The CXT started out as a one-off show truck several years ago, but people with money, such as Terry Bradshaw, saw it and wanted one on the spot so a number were built, eventually being relased as the CXT model. I heard that about 75 per year were expected to be built, but orders have reached 200 or more.

I put the CXT in the same class as the Ford GT and the Plymouth imitation hot rod they built a couple years ago---image vehicles. International has gotten publicity out of this that $5,000,000 couldn't buy. The dealer in Toledo has one and he says it is the best door opener he has--just drive up to an office and he has everyone's attention to try to sell regular trucks.