Farmall M

logan

I had my carb on my M rebuilt at Denny's carb shop and for some reason they took the choke out of it. It really sucks because now I can't start it in the winter. I am going to put one back in it but I am just curious why they would have taken it out.

logan

I wouldn't waste money there on stuff you can easily do yourself. If you want some good tips on tuning an IH, go to -

http://www.ytmag.com/pulling/wwwboard1.html

Do some reading there. ChadS has alot of insight on this stuff, and will tell you everything he has learned by playing with gas pulling tractors. Nice guy!

Seems pretty dumb to take the choke out, as the intake on the M carb is so much larger than the mounting area. Not to mention hard starting!!! :blink::blink: It ain't hard to build a carburetor, open the jet metering holes, raise the fuel level just a tad, clean ALL holes with numbered drills, and polish the venturi (inside and out because air flows around the outside). I have a venturi out of an 856 in my 450...tee heee... :P .

Anyways,.... have fun,

FD B)

no matter what anybody tells you... always run a venturi... speeds up the air going in... faster air means more HP... hot twelve psi vacume on the ITPA tractor... don't need no choke and WON'T use my hand if I do..lol

I had my carb on my M rebuilt at Denny's carb shop and for some reason they took the choke out of it. It really sucks because now I can't start it in the winter. I am going to put one back in it but I am just curious why they would have taken it out.

logan

I can't believe he stays in business. The amount you gain on dyno is not enough to offset the cold start pain. I have become good friends with one of the guys he had sponsered and he told me that if denny messed with his carb he would have to redo it himself. Not only that I did some business with them along time ago and I think they are very rude people. Personaly I wouldn't let him work on my toy tractors. :angry:

Having read this thread and observed some of the terminology that some of you misuse and the incorrect information you dispense, I think that some of you should stay away from your carburetors.

Rebuilding a carburetor is not exactly rocket science so you shouldn't have to send your carburetors out to incompetents such as Dennys. You can do it yourself and do it more correctly.

I hate these "high performance-type" shops and parts stores or people who are always trying to "up" the power to get the tractor (car, truck, etc) to do something for which it was not designed to do. These are the same types that complain and moan about a certain marque being a POS, etc, etc ad nauseam. because it broke down trying to exceed the limits for which it was designed.

And, in the case of Logan, as Smoker 1 says, I'd march that carburetor back over to those dudes and tell them to fix the damn thing right and at their expense. You have legal remedies you know. If you let incompetents like this (and as Peterbilt 007 says, I have found that the more incompetent a mechanic or dealership is, the ruder they are) get away with crap like this, they'll just keep on doing it. (You know: as in "silence implies consent")

You can file a complaint against them with the Better Business Bureau, you can file a complaint with the Attorney General's office of your state and theirs, and, if they advertise in any magazines, you can write to the editor of said magazines and file complaint against them. And, if everything else fails, you can just march over there and beat the living s**t out of 'em. But, if you're like the majority of Americans and too lazy to take these actions, then just learn to live with it.

I also just now read through one of my tractor magazines looking for this dude's ad. I found it and I also found that every line of his sales pitch ends in "Guaranteed!" in huge bold letters. Since I assume that he does business by sending parts through the United States Postal Service and probably gets his payment in the form of checks mailed through the USPS, if you go to him and demand that he comply with his much advertised guarantee and he refuses or tries to double-dip you, you also have another recourse if you had the parts shipped by USPS: file a complaint with the USPS postal inspector for mail fraud.

So there you have five avenues of legal recourse. Whether you use them or not is up to you.

Boa sorte!

We have a guy that is a JD nut unfourtunately..lol He is a wiz at everything... He can build them all... He does all of our carb work and he builds them where you can adjust them still... He IS the best around bar none... And thats not an opinion its a fact.... I'm not giving his name out though... i'm selfish

Taking out the choke,will actually LOSE hp! It actually helps with the airflow by leaving it in.Anyone who takes it out to improve performance should not be working on your carb.

Living 30 miles away from Fletcher, I have heard more bad things about Dennys Carb shop than I care to tell.

Logan is in a bad place, WEK, its a **** of a march from Alberta, Canada to Fletcher, Ohio to take his carb back. And of course it would be easy for Dennys to sluff him off over the phone, in person would be much better.

I've never dealt with Denny's but i too have heard some of the horror stories first hand. Too bad they have some thoughtful products.

As far as the M carb goes, unless you are sucking in a lot more air due to CID increase or RPM increase there really is not much need to modify the carburetors Venturi, main jet, nozzle or bleeds. Honestly you cannot modify the carburetor and get an accurate fuel curve based upon passage modification without the aid of a flowbench.

Now one area of ambiguity that i have found is the discharge nozzle orfice (bleed) diameters. I have discharge nozzles from the 40's and 50's and the present and orfice sizes vary. the Super M's, 400's and 450's used a bit larger carburetor and a different nozzle with different sized bleeds. The discharge nozzles of current kits have the smaller holes. it is all based upon the pressure differential across the venturi and the amount of airflow into the motor. small orfices will intensify the signal and draw more fuel... larger bleeds will bleed off the signal in the fuel well and cause a leaner condition, to make up for this you'll have to feed it with either a greater diameter main jet (which i believe the Supers on up had a larger of) or run the needle further out of the main jet.

I've also manufactured a few of my own venturis on the lathe and a larger one causes a lot of problems without extensive circuit rework to rebalance the carb... it is extremely difficult to start due to low pressure and the inability to draw fuel at a consistant rate at low rpm and you must run the needle fully retracted from the main jet for adequate fuel flow since you are no longer sucking as hard on the nozzle to draw fuel into the throttle bore. a smaller venturi does just the opposite making starting very finicky by easily flooding the carb. Super M's and larger motors ran a bit larger venturi than the M and the circuits were a bit different. Most of this i have equated from studying the service manuals, parts manuals and just plain ole reverse engineering of existing carbs i have lying around the shop that i play iwth from time to time.

As for chokes, since the air must make a 90* bend to go through the carb into the motor it is running slam bam into a wall which slows velocity... if it is turbulant (tumbling) the loss is fairly great. by running the choke or another flat plate you are in essence straightening the airflow into the carburetor which decreases the velocity loss (read that also as flow) through the carburetor.

i hope some of this makes sense... please correct me if i've led anyone astray.

Jamie

Archived