Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jalopy

4-door IH pickup

Hey some of you may or may not be following my wheat harvest post but I thought I'd put this photo over here on the truck page instead... Shot a photo of this truck at an undisclosed location along the road when I was traveling on the wheat harvest this past summer. Thought it was neat, as I had never seen a 4-door IH pickup before. Looked like it was in good shape too.

post-340-1196303899_thumb.jpg

will you tell me where its at? :wub::wub:

I've got a 1210 4-door and they're great for traveling with 2-3 guys. Lots of room and being a longer wheelbase, they ride very well.

I've got a 1210 4-door and they're great for traveling with 2-3 guys. Lots of room and being a longer wheelbase, they ride very well.

Is it me, or does that truck look to be a shortbed??

Is it me, or does that truck look to be a shortbed??

That's what it looks like to me. :huh:

I think most were made as a short box. Mine is the long box on a chassis with 164" wb.

I think most were made as a short box. Mine is the long box on a chassis with 164" wb.

I know a lot of the C series travelettes were short beds, but i can't recall seeing a short bed D series travelette before.

I've seen a couple of shortbed Travelettes before, unfortunatly around here most were just large piles of rust. Finding any IH pickup in this area is rare. I still think they're cool though!

This is the oldest one I've ever seen. The travelette name was not approved until the A series in 57, if my memory is correct, so this one is just a "4 door pickup truck." It was apparently one of several that were custom built for the railroad. I stumbled upon it at a shop in Prescott Valley, Arizona, and they allowed me to take a few pictures. The owner of this truck later showed up at the AZIHR, also in Prescott Valley, where several other folks took better pictures than this one. I believe I did as well, but I can't find them in the computer at the moment.

post-8165-1198149194_thumb.jpg

This is the oldest one I've ever seen. The travelette name was not approved until the A series in 57, if my memory is correct, so this one is just a "4 door pickup truck." It was apparently one of several that were custom built for the railroad. I stumbled upon it at a shop in Prescott Valley, Arizona, and they allowed me to take a few pictures. The owner of this truck later showed up at the AZIHR, also in Prescott Valley, where several other folks took better pictures than this one. I believe I did as well, but I can't find them in the computer at the moment.

Man, that's odd looking for sure. Was that factory or a custom built cab?

Allan_E, would you be Allan Ericson by chance?

Mark Stegmann

post-6510-1199244733_thumb.jpgHow about a short and a long in the same pic?

Both were originally 2wd. The white one with coil spring front and the maroon one with an I-beam.

Some day the maroon one will be roadworthy. I owe it to some IH tractor guys who spotted it in an iron yard and hated to see it crushed so the pic started circulating and made it to me. :Dpost-6510-1199244733_thumb.jpg

Ed

post-6510-1199244696_thumb.jpg

Good save Ed!!!!

ive got a 73 1210 4x4 with a regular cab. really like the ruck, but would love to find a crewcab :blush:

Good save Ed!!!!

Thanks.

I don't have a title for the maroon one and it is in slightly worse shape than it appears (rusy cowl) but I threw a carb on and a battery in and it fired right up. We were driving it around the farm shortly thereafter. It appears that it went to scrap because of a bad fuel pump, that is all that was missing other than the carb. I'm assuming the carb was cobbed for something else.

I've gotten some good deals but that was probably one of the best. I thank the tractor guys who spotted it and took the pic. I think they were even green tractor guys.

It is an old Iowa DOT truck so there is plenty of orange poking through where the maroon is coming off. I've got the parts to convert to 4wd and will get to it someday. My oldest son (10) claims it and we have done some driving lessons in the hay field since it is an automatic. I guess I've got 5 years or so.

The short wheelbase (compared to the white one at 166") will make it a handy truck some day. Could be interesting getting the title issue sorted out. I've called the last registered owner and left messages but gotten no response.

A pic of the white one when I got it. So low I couldn't get my head under the frame without jacking it up. post-6510-1199332721_thumb.jpg pretty sleek.

Looks like a good time to introduce you all to my first 4X4, the Yellowdog, post-1513-1200933882_thumb.jpgpost-1513-1200934077_thumb.jpg

Unfortunely she's not roadworthy at this time but that will change. it's a 67 1200B 4X4 with the 140 inch wheelbase (short bed), way I understand it IH made more short Travelettes than the long ones

Was great when the kids were small and I had them along.

It started out as a company truck for a local sand and gravel outfit then it was used to run cable to phone repeaters in the hills here abouts then I guess it went to varies private owners til I bout it like ten years ago.

Plan to put some 8 lug axels under it from a 71 IH I have and lift it. I have a few projects to do before I get to it so later I will get to put 'er back on the road.

Most current pic

post-1513-1200934496_thumb.jpg