Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

M Diesel

1964 Loadstar 1600

I'm not looking forward to replacing this booster. Sure is a lot of surface rust everywhere. Just on the otherside of the frame rail (at the top of the picture) there is a land o'plenty with grease all over everything. :lol:

post-546-1197076507_thumb.jpg

Check out the shiny new piece of line to the clutch cylinder. Didn't have time to work out a flex line solution on a Sunday, but did get some hard line and loop it for flex. Works great do far. :lol:

How about that ...............Emergency Brake.......Drum?!!!

Yeah, another check box option on the build list I forgot to tick before delivery. :lol: No idea why it is gone really. There is a replacement fancy thingy in the main brake line to function as a parking brake, but it too has long since ceased to work.

Anybody have a good idea on a replacement unit for the hydraulic parking brake? I kinda want to put in a replacement drum, but it may not be practical.

Yeah, another check box option on the build list I forgot to tick before delivery. :lol: No idea why it is gone really. There is a replacement fancy thingy in the main brake line to function as a parking brake, but it too has long since ceased to work.

Anybody have a good idea on a replacement unit for the hydraulic parking brake? I kinda want to put in a replacement drum, but it may not be practical.

I have the complete emergency brake setup for the 5 speed I pulled out of a doner Loadstar to put in my Loadstar 4x4 feedtruck that had a busted 4 speed. The 4x4 has it's E- brake on the transfer case so I eliminated the hardware and drum off the 5 speed.

I have the complete emergency brake setup for the 5 speed I pulled out of a doner Loadstar to put in my Loadstar 4x4 feedtruck that had a busted 4 speed. The 4x4 has it's E- brake on the transfer case so I eliminated the hardware and drum off the 5 speed.

So will it fit a 4 speed tranny? Do I need the entire band set up or will the drum fit what I have?

M Diesel, I guess I thought you had the 5 speed........ I have a 64' and 67' Loadstar with 4 speeds (Actually 2 different 4 speeds according to the shift patterns) that I could compare the 5 speed drum to, is that all your missing or do you need the pad's,etc?

I haven't seen an entire assembly, but it appears that the only part missing is the drum? It looks like everything from the handle to the band is still there. Band is cruddy looking and probably oil soaked.

I was told earlier that it had a 5 speed, but it only goes forward in 4 places. Kinda hard to tell sometimes as the shift gates are more of a concept than a reality. :rolleyes:

If it helps my shift pattern is:

1 - 3 - R

2 - 4

and it has unsynched low.

I wish you had the five speed I could help you out on the drum part of the E-brake. On my 64' with the same shift pattern as yours I make out the part #27239 XX. The XX is where the factory drilled through the last digits of the part number it could be R1?

The 67' with the 4 speed with the reverse down instead of up has the part # 179927R1. And the five speed drum has no numbers that I can find but is drilled for six mounting holes on the flange instead of 4 like the others.

Sorry, didn't mean to get your hopes up.

BAH! HUMBUG!

Oh well, thanks for the info! It's another tidbit of knowledge revealed. :)

If you find a drum, try running the brake pads through an abrasive blaster. I had good luck cleaning up the friction material on my dozer brakes that way.

Thanks R99. Will keep that in mind.

I'm just gonna thow up some of the trip pics just because.

When we first got there on Saturday , the tank was under diagnosis. Blowing air into it didn't help the clogged pickup tube.

post-546-1197918771_thumb.jpg

So the tank came out.

post-546-1197918790_thumb.jpg

We didn't have any gas cans due to a planning error. So the tank went to town.

post-546-1197918940_thumb.jpg

And the spare parts bin is fully stocked.

post-546-1197919038_thumb.jpg

Sunday night, just prior to launch. :)

post-546-1197919376_thumb.jpg

Note large brake fluid container.

Topping off the brakes during the trip. We did this a lot. <_<

post-546-1197919405_thumb.jpg

Made it home! :) Nothing like being well supplied eh! (These are not the containers from the earlier pics.)

post-546-1197919522_thumb.jpg

Great pictures!! Don't you love those tiny master cylinder reservoirs (at least if it is anything like my '73 Ford F600). I am half way through a total front brake overhaul on it, complete with new cylinders, pads, fittings and brake lines. Interestingly the wheel cylinders are tapped for 7/16"(?) UNC, while the standard brake lines are a nonstandard 7/16 fine thread! I found that I could run a tap done the new brake fittings and re cut the threads to coarse. I borrowed a hydraulic brake line flaring tool and it works great!! I never could get the cheap screw down double flare tools to work worth a crap! This thing makes brake lines that look factory! Its expensive, but I highly recommend it: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=320193123653

BTW check Ebay for the brake booster. Here is a Ford version for less than I paid at NAPA. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...505229&rd=1 Be careful with the part # though as there are about a hundred different configurations from what I could tell in the NAPA book!!!

Thanks R99. Glad you liked the pics. Yea it's hard to believe the dinky size of the resevoir, although mysteriously it took something like 2 gallons of fluid.

I like that kit, but it will have to wait... too many TD parts recently. :lol:

Didn't even think about ebay for the booster. Too much old school ways in me. Not sure if I can read any part numbers though, it's pretty rusty under there. <_<

Finished the drive home at 2:30AM. Drove through heinous fog for the last 35 miles. Bad wiper blades, windshield fogging up real bad inside and out, hanging my head out the window to see, 40 degrees outside, way curvy roads, brakes barely working, couldn't see but 50 feet in front at times, motor starving for fuel the last 20 miles, worked up to using full choke to keep it running the last 5 miles. 5 year old yellow gasoline spilled on my pant leg. Steering box getting looser by the mile. Good times. :lol:

I replaced the booster on my 69 1600 a couple of years ago went to the dealer and they had one in stock. I think it was around $ 125.00 for it not to bad . I also put new tires on it needs a new flat bed and some brake line work. hopefully it will pass inspection as it seems like they are trying to get the old trucks off the road. Steve

Steve: You need to find a friendly inspection station!! :D Its not too bad here, but I wouldn't want to try it with an inspecter I didn't know! ;)

MD sounds like quite an adventure! I have an 11' wide Allis Chalmers All crop 72 to bring over a 2.5 mile long bridge with a 10' width restriction on it. It is going to be a 4 am Sunday morning run! I will send a friend ahead to watch for traffic and make a run for it. I only need 3 minutes to clear it! :ph34r:

What can I say, Sunday night worked for us. :lol: About 1 AM traffic got pretty light.

Steve, thanks for the info, have to check that out. Dreading the inspection thingy here too. Gotta lot of brake work to do and tires are in the "special" category.

Bed isn't too bad.

post-546-1198099612_thumb.jpg

I have a 65 flatbed dump 1600 with a 392/5 speed transplanted from a 71 travelall. My experience has been... unique?

The brake and clutch hydraulics were worn out after the last trip, so I replaced them. I had to replace both the slave and master on the clutch, and the master on the brakes. My booster leaks a bit as well, but if I top off the master cylinder before starting and after the engine warms up, it gets me to the next gas station. Aside from the fact that there are two slave cylinders for each wheel, it's a pretty straightforward setup, but I'm of a mind to upgrade the brakes in the next one I find.

I was taking the truck on what I thought was its last trip, to my property near the petrified forest where I store my sleeping binders. I was going to haul some stuff and then use the truck as a tractor, to haul around the other binders.

I got about 6 miles from home, on the last flat spot for about 150 miles (I live in the mountains). I hit a small rock, apparently, that bounced up and popped a hole in the brake line. Note that these old loadstars have single chamber braking systems...

I downshifted with the splitter for the stop light that was ahead. Since I was pulling a flatbed trailer with a 71 1200B pickup on it, I started slowing down early. When I let out the clutch, no engine brake. I thought maybe the 2 speed rear end had gotten stuck between ratios or something. When I hit the brake, no pedal. Pumped the brake. Not much there, just enough to stop once.

The brake fluid squirted all over the exhaust manifold and caught fire. The fuel system then caught fire, too, and I was driving down the road with no brakes, no gears to slow me down, and the engine compartment on fire. When I got pulled over, the smoke was bad, so I shut off the engine. Lucky for me it would have shut off soon anyway, as the fuel in the carb would have run out. I grabbed the fire extinguisher and found that it was stuck behind the seat, and I could not budge the seat...

Lucky for me, the fuel was almost burned off by then, and what little had been in the carb had siphoned out of the fuel bowl and drained through the now burned fuel filter. I was able to put it out with water.

This really was a whole lot funnier than I made it sound. Since I had just left home, there was no need to change my shorts, and since I was on a relatively flat piece of road, I'm still alive. What more can you ask when your brakes and transmission fail in a 15,000 lb truck with a trailer? Besides, watching me put out the fire with Wal Mart drinking water bottles had to be a hoot for the passers by.

I bought the truck for the 392 and never intended to do anything other than scrap it due to terminal rust and other fun things. It still runs like a dream after I replaced the carb, plug wires, belts, fuel line, and pluts, but the reason for no gears turned out to be the 12 inch clutch welded itself to the flywheel and the shear pins broke. The input shaft does not turn while the engine runs. Need to pull the transmission and replace the clutch. It's at a friend's shop right now waiting for the ground to dry. Been sitting now for several months waiting for me to finish fixing it, but I start it every so often for fun.

The moral is make sure the braking system is in very good condition. One leak and you can lose the whole shebang.

The master cylinder also fits my B160, so I don't feel so bad for having paid too much for a replacement from NAPA. The kits are available, but I really did not want to take a chance with a reman after my D ticket ride.

A 392 5 speed sounds like a good thing. :)

That "just enough to stop once" factor sure is true. Not much reserve and I had nearly forgotten what a single master looked like. Ya don't dare let up after getting it to pump up.

Your trip had more drama than ours. :lol: Mostly this trip was relatively free of excitement except for the small side road we took to go around the town of Macon. Encountered 4 friggin cars within a mile on a fairly narrow dirt road while having to navigate a bunch of square turns. Somewhere along in there was where a front wheel cylinder let go and the one fan belt jumped off. As they say, even the best laid plans... :lol:

Otherwise, many things went very well. After leaving Macon we had 100 miles of 4 lane on Highway 63, after crossing the Missouri river and hitting Jefferson City all 5 lights were green, the next 10 miles were 4 lane, and during the last 30ish miles of two lane that were fogged in we didn't see a single car. Actually I don't think it was really fog. As we drove into a valley it would sometimes clear up and then going up the other side it was like driving up into a really low cloud.

There was another episode of losing electrical power and I thought the alternator had quit or the fan belt had jumped again or worse had failed, but it turned out that the field wire into the alternator had vibrated off. (Ya canna go warp 55 capn, cause she canna take no mor.) Used up the one time brake pump to get it off the road, found the wire off, got it patched up and topped off, but as we were leaving ran over my phone and camera that fell out of the coat pocket while inspecting and retightening the vice grips on the front brake line. <_< Found out they were missing about 15 miles down the road. Actually the phone didn't get hit but the camera now has dents and LCD looks funny in places. Somehow the critical parts got missed and it still works. Next day while working on the TD18 the phone got squished in my pocket. Some days...

Allan: Sounds exciting. I had to put out a fire on an old F350 with a Coca Cola! The oil pressure gauge had been put in sloppily by the previous owner and I hadn't gotten around to straightening it out. The nylon hose got against the manifold, melted and sprayed hot oil all over it! It was at night and I couldn't figure out what the haze in the car lights behind me was! I pulled into the only business on that stretch of highway, a convenience store, when the cause became apparent! I raised the hood and there was a light blaze going on the right side of the engine. I didn't have a fire extinguisher (I always carry one now) so I ran into the store to find one. The Koreans running the place couldn't figure out what I was talking about in my excited state, so I grabbed two 20 oz. cokes out of the cooler in front of the counter and ran out the front door!! Took the top off of one and shook it up with my thumb on it. It made a remarkably good fire extinguisher!! Only took one Coke to put it out! I stuck the remaining end of the nylon tube into the oil fill, tightened the cap on it and away I went!

P.S. i did pay them for the Coke afterwards! :ph34r:

:lol::lol::lol:

Never thought of Coke. Have used water bottles underneath the cab several times to put out fire from crossmember acting like lawnmower. Weeds and stuff will clip off and pack in around exhaust pipe as tight as a drum. Next time I'll plan on fire next to Qwiky Mart. B)

I have 1971 Loadstar 1600 Dump...bought the truck and a 28ft tri-axle equipment trailer as a package deal for $1600. The truck doesnt ride or drive like my 2500HD but it goes to the rock quarry and back without fail every single time. For $500 its hard to get stung...

post-13514-1198235064_thumb.jpg

Nice deal on the dump! Was looking for something exactly like that when the this old 1600 came along. Figured that it was hard to lose on a $500 deal marked down to $400. Hadn't figured on the high cost of brake fluid, but what the hey. :lol:

Here's its cousin from the Saskatchewan prairies. :P:P

post-202-1195485704_thumb.jpg

Looks like i have one that is in the same family also. Funny thing i have a white roll over tarp for it in the shed also. Mine is a 63 and the linesetting ticket shows it being Mfg in Oct of 62

post-711-1198978291_thumb.jpg

Dang! Darn things is everywhere. :lol: Keep coming out of da woodwork like zombies, except they're saying braaakes, we need braaaakes....